Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ready to give it another shot..

Whats going on everyone, I've been in the fire service for about 3 years now (Im 24) and tested and got 2 job offers but couldn't accept them due to some circumstances going on at the time. Well I took a pretty extended break from firefighting testing and am ready to test again. I live in a small size town where there's not much money, of course it's not about the money though but advancement opportunities and pay are better in other areas. I was looking at the following departments Columbia, SC, and Greenville, SC and Charlotte (the 09 process maybe). Of course I'm in this for the long haul and don't mind waiting but was wondering if you guys thought these departments were worth the wait. I think I'm just going to focus on these departments, as shot-gunning it last year about killed me. In the meantime I about have my fire science degree, volunteer pt firefighter, numerous other state firefighting classes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your's is a great example of why I tell people DO NOT take a test for a department that you don't want to work for.

Much has changed in the three years since you have left the testing circuit. The economy is awful. More people are competing for less jobs. There are less jobs because firefighters who were contemplating retirement are continuing to work while the economy sorts itself out.

The other natural question is:
    What have you been doing for the last three years? Have you maintained your status as a volunteer FF as well as your certifications? If not, your certifications are stale.......

As far as concentrating on two "dream" departments, you may want to expand your choices of departments. Whille you have been successful in your previous testing, it's tough to get hired when your choices are so limited.

Good luck to you,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Hey Chief, thanks for the response. Yeah I'm seeing it has definitely changed a lot. When I speak to different cities HR depts they tell me testing could be changed from 5 times a year down to one time, things like that. Also when I got your interview help book 2 years ago it helped me out incredibly with situational questions in the interviews (the drinking on the job, life as a probie, etc) so thanks for that.

Thread Information