Default Outting a felon?

In the past year I've noticed a lot of local departments having issues with it's members committing crimes. Of course, we're all human, and makes mistakes... but what is bothersome is that many of the members committing the crimes are past offenders with criminal records. Most of them joined prior to background checks becoming more and more common, but some are recent additions to the departments. Which brings me to my question for the community:

This summer I ran in to a gentleman that I used to volunteer with locally. He and I ran with a local ambulance company as EMTs, and he also volunteered with a city department. He ended up being removed from each company in 2002 when he went to prison after pleading guilty to a violent felony. His EMT lapsed while he was incarcerated. He was releaseed after serving two years. During his trial it came out that he had been convicted of second degree murder in another state over a decade ago. How he got his EMT certification, I don't know... he must have lied on his application, and they never checked up on it.

When I ran into him, he was representing a different fire department, about 20 miles away. After getting out of prison he had purchased a home there. After seeing him, I was tempted to contact the chief of the department he now belongs to, and alert him to his multiple felony convictions. In the end, I decided not to. He and I had personal differences, and I wasn't sure if my motivations for outting him were crystal clear.

This last weekend, a mutal friend saw him at the EMT practical exam in Middletown. He was testing. Obivously, he had taken a new EMT class, and was attempting to regain his certification. This troubles me, as I know for a fact he had to have lied on his application again.

He has a mental condition that makes him extremely short tempered, which is what landed him in prison both times. What should I do? Should I contact OEMS and alert them to his status? Will they care? Any advice will be appreciated.

A couple of comments to your points - but let me tell you where I'm coming from first.

1. I'm a convicted felon

2. I was molested at the age of eleven by a firefighter in Guilford, CT in 1977.

What I want to say, in a nutshell, is this. If someone is in the department - and an asset to the department - and they aren't a risk to anyone - then MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Who cares. They made a mistake. They had to pay for it. Now - leave them alone. You have to let people get on with their lives. Nothing is more rehabilitating to someone who has made a mistake AGAINST society than to SERVE society.

On a personal note, I am constantly forced to wonder why everyone has to be so freaking SELF righteous... Ever heard of throwing the first stone? Its a great story.

Is this "gentleman" using his EMT in order to gain access to victims? If the answer is NO, than what is your problem? And why do you feel so obligated to OUT him? Mind your own business.

The only excuse I can think of is if this guy was clearly using this as a ploy - as did the volunteer firefighter in Guilford who molested me when I was eleven. The fact in that case was that LOTS of people knew, and when my mother asked a local official what to do he said, "well just keep your son away from him... but don't say anything..."

So there you go.

A couple of comments to your points - but let me tell you where I'm coming from first.

1. I'm a convicted felon

2. I was molested at the age of eleven by a firefighter in 1977.

What I want to say, in a nutshell, is this. If someone is in the department - and an asset to the department - and they aren't a risk to anyone - then MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Who cares. They made a mistake. They had to pay for it. Now - leave them alone. You have to let people get on with their lives. Nothing is more rehabilitating to someone who has made a mistake AGAINST society than to SERVE society.

On a personal note, I am constantly forced to wonder why everyone has to be so freaking SELF righteous... Ever heard of throwing the first stone? Its a great story.

Is this "gentleman" using his EMT in order to gain access to victims? If the answer is NO, than what is your problem? And why do you feel so obligated to OUT him? Mind your own business.

The only excuse I can think of is if this guy was clearly using this as a ploy - as did the volunteer firefighter who molested me when I was eleven. The fact in that case was that LOTS of people knew, and when my mother asked a local official what to do he said, "well just keep your son away from him... but don't say anything..."

So there you go.

Thread Information