Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Online training becoming the new wave???

I know we are all racing to get things done faster, sooner, quicker, and with less effort, but is it true, can you really learn everything online?

http://www.trainingdivision.com/

I remember my EMT training and how hands on it was, beyond that, Fire Acadamey was even worse. How can you condense that all into an online class? Would anyone even accept you if you passed your NRTs?
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

http://firemidget.blogspot.com/

Banned

My opinion is that on line training just isn't as good. Especially in the trades. If you were learning something like accounting or computer programming you might have a chance. I know that employers don't view the on-line degrees as highly as the real degrees. A lot of that has to do with the phony degrees that get handed out.

Getting a degree online is one thing, but actualy doing an online FF1 or EMT class...I dont know if I agree with that or not.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

i actually attended training division. i had the same doubts that you guys are expressing but i was proven wrong. it was extremely intense and it is not only on line you also have 2 weeks of really intense paramilitaristic training in texas. they have some of the highest test scores in texas which really in my opinion dosnt matter. the training i received was amazing and very hard. nearly 50% never make it to bootcamp because they do not finish the online portion. many departments across the country use them as a cadet academy. they also offer EMS training for the national regestry all the way to paramedic. from what i saw in my time there there EMS was much harder than the classes i took.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that employers don't view the on-line degrees as highly as the real degrees. A lot of that has to do with the phony degrees that get handed out.
    And how do you know this? Facts, not anecdotal crap.

An online degree from an accredited college requires every bit of the work and dedication that a traditional degree requires-very often more. If an employer cannot tell the difference between an acfredited school and a phony degree, perhaps the employer should refine their HR procedures.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone who is a Militay/DOD Civ FF I'm sure can attest. It's called that "Awesome" CDC program...woohoo!!

Need to learn how to drive/pump- here's a cd
    What? You want to be a Haz-Mat Tech, oh, here's a cd
    How to be a Fire Officer...here's a cd

The list goes on, but you get the drift. I'm not a fan of the CDC program whatsoever!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Who cares where you get your training? As long as it counts and it satisfies the State/Dept. Who gives a hoot?
    Do what ever is necessary to get our time in and retire.
    Just play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by alecshawn1 View Post
    Who cares where you get your training? As long as it counts and it satisfies the State/Dept. Who gives a hoot?
    Just play the game.
    Wow....You must be a real joy to work with. What happened with that post about you never posting in here again?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Wow....You must be a real joy to work with. What happened with that post about you never posting in here again?
    That was my alter ego.
    But really, just play the game. Put the time in.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alecshawn1
    Would you say this if the guy riding next to you received all his training from his volunteer department?

But really, just play the game. Put the time in.
    Yes, lets not challenge ourselves, just play the game however you can to get the job. Great advice...
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-03-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

i think the NIMS training is a perfect example of how flawed online training is... honestly how many pepele who took the training online sat down and read every thing and how many goggled the answers and just skipped to the test at the end
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Would you say this if the guy riding next to you received all his training from his volunteer department?

Yes, lets not challenge ourselves, just play the game however you can to get the job. Great advice...
    Vollis arent firefighters!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    i think the NIMS training is a perfect example of how flawed online training is... honestly how many pepele who took the training online sat down and read every thing and how many goggled the answers and just skipped to the test at the end
    Compared to a nap during class?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I knew it was coming eventually...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I knew it was coming eventually...
    Oh, hell yeah!

Have you been an a-hole all your life, or did it start when you got sworn in?

Just play the game.
    With a "professional" attitude like this, you wouldn't last 5 minutes in my career house.

I have been childish, stupid and foolish.
    I apologise to all.
    Sincerely.
    I will not be posting here any more.
    You are all better men than me.
    You are right and im wrong.
    I am ashamed and i hope my kids never see this side of me.
    Patty, I love you and hope you are doing well in life.
    Sorry for everything.
    FTM-PTB
    Like I said, what happened? Your silence was being enjoyed by all........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I have mixed feelings about the new online fire programs out there (at least the one I have done work with). One one hand it gives the opportuinity for those out there that really want to get into the fire service the chance they may never get. They can continue to work and provide for their family while doing their work online. With out this they would have to quit their jobs to go to an acadamy on their own or wait for a job offer from a department that would send them after they got hired. Also most of the men/women I know that have done online are older and more mature than the 18-20 year olds I see that mommy and daddy paid for their acadamy.

On the other hand, and this would depend on the training facility. Most of these programs offer a 2 week "bootcamp" where once you finish your online program you have to come in for the skills portion. Many of these men/women have never done any of the skills in a hands on situation only read about them in the book. There is a lot to cover in 2 weeks and I mean a lot. In an on site acadamy much more time is available to allow the students to master all of the skills that are required and in a 2 week "bootcamp" in my opinion there just is not enough time.

As far as this statement:
    "I know that employers don't view the on-line degrees as highly as the real degrees. A lot of that has to do with the phony degrees that get handed out."

Many department may not even realize that an applicant went to an online program. Their state certificate (at least in Texas) is excatly the same no where on there does it say "Online". So unless they really checked the school they listed in there application you would never know.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Banned

Just play the game.
    Well that is a very unprofessional attitude. The whole idea behind training is so you know what you are doing (which it appears you don't). You are the kind of people that give volunteers a bad name!!!

Perhaps when you get out of high school and into the real world you will understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you treat online training as a supplement to the traditional hands on training, it's all gravy. I see little difference between a power point on a projector vs one on a computer screen.

Still, I understand that your training can't solely come from an online medium.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012 View Post
    If you treat online training as a supplement to the traditional hands on training, it's all gravy. I see little difference between a power point on a projector vs one on a computer screen.

Still, I understand that your training can't solely come from an online medium.
    And therein lies half of the problem. How many training classes have you attended where the instructor puts up a training slide and regurgitates the stuff on the screen. That is the sign of a poor trainer and one who doesn't know the materiel. Some topics require hands on to adequately learn the material, others, say legal matters for the fire service, require no hands on. They may require research and report writing.

Thread Information