MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Air Lifting Bag Protector

Turtle Plastics has introduced a air lifting bag protector. It is simply a protective pad.

Another new piece of gear.

Forum Member

old air bags work great just cut the connection off them so no one can try to fill them up
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

is this to go over the top of the bag???

I would refrain from putting anything over the top of the bag unless absolutely necessary.

though you must protect the bag, when covering the entire top surface area of the bag you take away the bags ability to "grip" the surface you are lifting.

this practice is frowned upon especially with low pressure high lift bags.

do you have a link to this product possibly???

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Save your money

Old conveyor belts work great for protecting air bags. Make them whatever size you need. And the price is right.
    Be kind to fire fighters. Please don't let your dogs use fire hydrants.

Forum Member

Scooby,used conveyor belt for years.A sticky material that doesn't slip and gives good protection to the bags either low or high pressure. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks that are interested can search Turtle Plastics website, or give them a call.

Simply another tool to consider, thats all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Scooby,used conveyor belt for years.A sticky material that doesn't slip and gives good protection to the bags either low or high pressure. T.C.
    Old truck mud flaps same material easier to find.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

the problem with any kind of plastic is that it dosrnt gripn and you are in danger of it slipping
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeeJunkins View Post
    i hope you dont mind if i steal that one
    ~Big O~

MembersZone Subscriber

The Turtle Plastics protectors are not a solid plastic material, rather an approx 1/2" 'rubberized' composite that bends easily with rope handles installed. The sides have a 'slip resistant' type surface.

I've been using 'mud flaps' for years now. Conveyor belting works well also. Doubtless there are other products also.

Simply another useful material, the 'mats' used to protect the walls of horse stalls. Usually comes in large sheets and can be cut easily with a heavy box cutter.

Regardless, be especially cautious with any potential slipping. Protect your bags and hoses.

Forum Member

are you guys referring to the bag pads which are 1 1/2" X 24"

http://www.turtleplastics.com/catalo...s/CribKits.pdf

and are we allowed to post pics in here if we html code them in from a outside server????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scooby0066 View Post
    are you guys referring to the bag pads which are 1 1/2" X 24"

http://www.turtleplastics.com/catalo...s/CribKits.pdf

and are we allowed to post pics in here if we html code them in from a outside server????
    We had a bag slip in training on them!! If it were a real scenario, god know what would have happened to the pt. inside.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeeJunkins View Post
    Exactly. Why would you spend money on something when ordinary, everyday stuff laying around works perfectly fine? This product sounds like something for the parade companies of southeastern Pa.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I just want to clarify this. Sorry as I'm extremely busy and it is not always possible for me to get back on here in a timely fashion....anyways

It is not advisable to put anything over the bags.....especially low pressure cushions.

Only if you believe the bags/cushions will be breached. And if so, if the entire surface doesn't need to be protected....then don't cover it all.

Lets look at this....low pressure bags....5 lbs in them, if a object say the shape of your finger is against it.....unless it is a very cheap bag, isn't going to damage the bag...lol

take your finger and put 5 lbs of pressure against your face......did you poke your finger thru....lol

believe me people, I actually use this equipment on a weekly basis in addition to teaching courses all over the country. I do not use this equipment in a controlled environment (such as teaching only) as many teaching/advocating this equipment. I have over 20 years in both the rescue and recovery professions with a extensive doing the job resume in regards to these products/tools.

I'm not here to blow smoke in your face......this covering the bag thing is being done sometimes when there is no reason to. Don't worry, the bag is meant to get dirty

Are we allowed to post pictures in here thru HTML code, as I have some photos to maybe better help in this.

Forum Member

I'm not worried about the bag getting dirty.I'm worrying about the "sharps"that invariably occur when working around wrecks.In over twenty years of street operations we never had an issue with a properly sized and placed bag protector.With the price of LP bags and their repair,I'll err toward the too much protection rather than take a chance on a cut or puncture.Never seems to come at a good time.Most of the loads around here stretch the Fed limits by a bit so a 5#lift would be a joy to work.Like anything else,there's more than one way to do a job.Thankfully most of the new trailer self destruct on contact so it's more of a dustpan job.Give me an old 40-45 ft trailer over a 53' you could actually "save"those. T.C.

Forum Member

I haven't seen one of the old 40-45 footers in ages. Pack more stuff in, haul more product, make more $$ until it goes through a guard rail and over a 150' cliff. Our last one was 70K lbs of Idaho spuds...you should have seen the homeless people picking them up!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyleach View Post
    ... Protect your bags and hoses.
    That's a great line right there.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information