Thread: p90x??

Forum Member

Default p90x??

iv recently started doing p90x and it seems like a great workout but im not sure if it will get me ready for the fire academy.

anyone know enough about the program to weigh in?

Forum Member

We have two guys on our shift doing it. We have started doing it as a shift, we do whatever day they are on. It is an abslute butt kicking workout. It will more than get you ready. I wish we had this when I was wrestling or playing rugby.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

One guy at my station has been doing it for a few months and it has really worked well for him. Seems to be a great all around workout.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

I have it, the plyometrics will really kick your butt. I think its a good workout, I just got sick and tired of doing the same workout routine all the time, plus working out while having to watch the t.v. is annoying to me. If you have a crossfit gym near you, I recommend checking that out too..That will get you more than ready for the fire academy.

Forum Member

Crossfit is not bad, but many say it lack focus. Check out Caveman trianing. It's being utilized by MMA fighters to gain power and overall fitness.

MembersZone Subscriber

p90x is pretty good, and crossfit is great. i don't feel you can go wrong with either. Many of the crossfits can be classified as a high intensity weight training. good for some and bad for others. definately not something you want to jump into unprepared for. p90x is a little more tapered for the less prepared.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
    iv recently started doing p90x and it seems like a great workout but im not sure if it will get me ready for the fire academy.

anyone know enough about the program to weigh in?
    It is a good well put together program, and as others have stated crossfit will also get you into great condition. I am not sure of your gender but if you are a girl focus on your strength. I could run all day and was over 100% with pushups and stuff... but the hose drag kicked my butt because I am small and lack mass. I got it done and am now a FF but if I could do it again I would have done way more power lifting type movements to get more overall body strength.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default work up to p90x?

I'm interested in starting the p90x program, but I'm not sure if it is the best place to start. I do regular, mid to high intensity cardio and limited strength training. Does the p90x program start at a basic level and then increase in difficulty? If not, what would be the best work out to do in order to prepare for p90x?

I am impressed too. We actually bought it for the fire house, and probably 20-25 out of the 50 on the department are doing it. We are using it as a tool to use in our fitness program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    I'm interested in starting the p90x program, but I'm not sure if it is the best place to start. I do regular, mid to high intensity cardio and limited strength training. Does the p90x program start at a basic level and then increase in difficulty? If not, what would be the best work out to do in order to prepare for p90x?
    You don't have to very advanced at all with strength training to do good with it. Don't get me wrong, you'll get stronger on the program. It's a great total body conditioning system though. If you want to slim down and balance your strong and weak areas it's a good system. You aren't going to be stretching your sleeves out with P90x but for what we do its hard to beat.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    You don't have to very advanced at all with strength training to do good with it. Don't get me wrong, you'll get stronger on the program. It's a great total body conditioning system though. If you want to slim down and balance your strong and weak areas it's a good system. You aren't going to be stretching your sleeves out with P90x but for what we do its hard to beat.
    Thanks, man.

Forum Member

Thanks, man.
    Good luck brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question P90x and the gym

Im looking at the P90x system, it seems like its good for core building. I goto the gym 5days a week, dose anyone use P90x and still hit the gym? If so how do you split your days? Im trying to figure out how i could do both with out over doing it. Doing the samething over and over in the gym isnt showing me the results i would like. Thanks for the input. stay safe

Forum Member

Default p90/gym

p90 is a great program in my oppinion. personally i alternate, i start lifting again after 90days. however i will do a little extra ab routines and extra cardio while on the program. my $.02

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nozzlenut264 View Post
    Im looking at the P90x system, it seems like its good for core building. I goto the gym 5days a week, dose anyone use P90x and still hit the gym? If so how do you split your days? Im trying to figure out how i could do both with out over doing it. Doing the samething over and over in the gym isnt showing me the results i would like. Thanks for the input. stay safe
    One of my good friends has been using p90x on his cardio days and still hitting the gym on his normal days. I'm not sure if its the best of both worlds or not. He's been doing good with it and been cutting quiet a bit though. It's pretty intense on its own but not a mass building program. I guess the biggest thing is what results are you looking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input, Im looking to get lean and more defined, but i still have another year contract with the gym so i dont want to give that up. I was thinking of doing p90x three days and gym two days. Hit hard on lifting and cardio on those days in the gym. P90x dose look well worth its money.thanks again

Forum Member

Before I was out of service for a week because of the Flu, I had completed the first 3 weeks of P90X. I plan to start back pretty soon.

I noticed immediate results. I'm not in shape, but I'm not fat either. I'm one of the skinnier guys that's just out of shape. P90 mixed with adjusting my diet to include MORE food and specifically protein, both me and my girlfriend noticed a change on me without about a week.

For me, it doesn't kick my ***, but it definitely makes me tired. It's just right for me; not beyond my reach but right on the edge.

I'd recommend getting it. Probably get it from someone though, it's not worth all of the money (just like all workout equipment).

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up First day

I started P90x today with the back and chest work out....wow awsome. I cant wait to move on.

Keep up the good work, stay safe

Forum Member

I'm interested in starting the p90x program, but I'm not sure if it is the best place to start.
    Try DVD #1.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Ive been doing P90X for almost 8 weeks now. One of the best things that I like about it is the ability to do all the exercises with minimal equipment needed. I built my own pull up bar that I hung from the joists in my garage, bought some used dumbells on craigslist, and a set of good resistance bands (for when I travel). I feel I get a pretty good workout by the end of it.

I prefer to workout early in the morning (old habit that I picked up in the military, i guess). Anyone on here went through the whole program yet, and if so, what have you done to maintain since the end of your 90 days?

Forum Member

I've been thinking about starting P90x. I did the plyometrics one with one of the other firefighters at work one day and it kicked my butt. I was praying we didn't have any runs after that. The people that are already doing it, are you doing it at the station also and if so what do you do afterwards to get your energy back?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7123 View Post
    I've been thinking about starting P90x. I did the plyometrics one with one of the other firefighters at work one day and it kicked my butt. I was praying we didn't have any runs after that. The people that are already doing it, are you doing it at the station also and if so what do you do afterwards to get your energy back?
    After doing the routines for a while, you won't fell so drained immediately afterward. For hot summer days, I mix a 3/4 gallon jug of water with 4 1/2 scoops of gatorade, resulting in a "1/2" gatorade mixture. I keep this ice cold, and try to chug at least one quart if I'm pulled from PT for any call that requires me to get dressed. It takes about 10-15 to kick in, to rehydrate. I also give myself five to ten minutes of rehab after every 25-40 minutes of intense conditioning, to rehydrate, before continuing the session. Regardless, if we get a high rise job, I'm screwed. Some do P90x, with excellent results. As a stand alone program, it lacks heavy front loaded and overhead lifting/support. I would add a heavy olympic weightlifting, or heavy kettlebell routine every fourth day or so in lieu af the scheduled P90x WOD. Carrying/dragging/supporting heavy loads is a critical part of the job, and this capacity needs to be developed accordingly. Personally I recommend that you check out www.firegroundfitness.com. This site closely resembles what I actually do on a regular basis.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info edpmedic. I'll have to try the gatorade mixture and check out the website. I did another one of the p90x workouts today and it was still intense, but not near as bad as plyo was. The guy I was working out with said the same thing you did, that it'll get easier as I get further into it.

Thread Information