Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Tooo Funny For The Weird Thread

Hey, you! Squirrel Boy!!

Squirrel Hunter Sets House on Fire

Lesson: Don't put cayenne pepper in a leaf blower Updated 8:43 AM EST, Fri, Nov 28, 2008

Instead of setting a trap for the squirrels, a Broadview man accidentally set his house on fire, using cayenne pepper and a leaf blower to drive out his uninvited guests.

CHICAGO -- When George Ivy returned recently to his Broadview home after a long day at work, he walked into a mess after squirrels had torn into a loaf of bread.

Watch VideoAn unsuspecting homeowner decided to take on a family of rodents and ended up losing his home.

Squirrels Now Least of Homeowner's Problem

"I thought a burglar broke into my house," he said. "It was squirrels. They were eating while I was at work. They had Thanksgiving before I had Thanksgiving."

Instead of setting a trap for the squirrels, Ivy accidentally set his house on fire. The truck driver tried using cayenne pepper and a leaf blower to drive out his uninvited guests.

"I just dropped enough in there and put the blower in there so it could circulate," Ivy said.

However, instead of rodents running out of the vents, smoke and flames came out pouring out.

"When it made contact with the hot fan from the exhaust fan in the kitchen, it ignited, then with the leaf blower, as Mr. Ivy was trying to force it through the openings trying to get to where the squirrels were, it caught fire and was acting like a blowtorch," said Broadview Fire Chief John Tierney.

In hindsight, Ivy said he realizes he should have left the job up to professionals.

"Make sure that it is a squirrel, (and then) set up a professional trapping service," said Kevin Connelly of A-Alert Exterminating Service. "Then, discuss with the homeowner the reasons why he has the problem and the repairs he needs to stop the problem."

While Ivy's insurance should cover the damage, he said it won't make up for the 11 years he spent remodeling his home.

"I won't ever try it again," Ivy said. "I'll tell everybody else, 'Don't you try it.'"

Ivy said he has friends and family he plans to spend the holidays with, and said he was thankful his house was the only thing he lost in the explosion.

COMMENTS

dotheadsrdumb Today at 10:32 AM he got what he deserved! you do not harm animals axxhole!!!

SQUIRRELHATER Today at 10:13 AM Ok, so I'm not a fan of squirrels, but even I know that you don't play with fire. The best way to get rid of them is to shoot them dead. Traps are just taxis taking them right back to the place you don't want them. Dead squirrels are always the best ones.

vija Thursday, Nov 27 at 10:16 PM the squrriels had the last laugh

Jersey Dave Thursday, Nov 27 at 8:14 PM Yeah go after them with a flamethrower! Get some! Squirrels can be nasty, next time call the pros or just use a pellet gun! A Gamo, Daisy or Crosman will do 'em every time! Silent but deadly, yeah!

Anonymous Thursday, Nov 27 at 3:27 PM Sorry, sir but you HAVE been played by Gangsta Squirrels. You were in THEIR house!!!!!

Uh huh...um.......yeah........... ..

Stupid is what stupid does.

Job security.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Bout as clever as our candidate a couple of months back that decided it was a good idea to waterblast the outside meter board for his house.

One wall later he understood that water and 240 volts just do not like each other.

At least he is still breathing. Still first you must own one to be able to be declared brain dead.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

We were at this call, you should have heard the comments there.

One of those ideas that sound good at first, but with a little thought you decide otherwise. And obviously no little thought was brought into play in this situation.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Still first you must own one to be able to be declared brain dead.
    Now THAT is funny, right there! Thanks Ian.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE

In hindsight, Ivy said he realizes he should have left the job up to professionals.

HERE'S YOUR SIGN

"I won't ever try it again," Ivy said. "I'll tell everybody else, 'Don't you try it.'"

I'LL MAKE SURE TO PASS THAT WISDOM ALONG

Cardboard Bank Robber Holds Off SWAT for Hours

Promotional figure keeps cops at bay during standoff at New Jersey bank
    Updated 2:18 PM EST, Sat, Nov 29, 2008

Members of multiple New Jersey SWAT teams ended a tense standoff at a bank by capturing the cardboard cutout figure who refused to comply with their demands.

Multiple New Jersey SWAT teams were held off in a tense standoff at a bank this week by a woman approximately five feet tall and made out of cardboard.

Police say they may never know what set off an alarm at a Somerset County bank that led to a mistaken standoff Thursday night.

Montgomery Township Police Sgt. Robert Mitchell says that false alarms are common and can be set off by animals, wayward balloons or extreme weather.

But he says none of those is apparently to blame for the alarm at a PNC bank branch.

But what happened after the alarm went off around 8:40 p.m. is known. Authorities saw a figure inside the building, which had the blinds drawn. They used bullhorns and telephone calls to try to make contact.

When a SWAT team finally entered more than an hour later, it turned out that the only "person" inside was a cardboard cutout figure.

The cutout managed to keep 30 officers--including SWAT team members from three different New Jersey towns--in tense negotiations for more than three hours, according to NJ.com.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Washington
    =======

COMMENT:

Anonymous ROFLMAO

Maisha Monday, Dec 1 at 10:54 PM 3 hour standoff with cardboard woman....KILL YOURSELVES!!!

mariar56 Monday, Dec 1 at 5:57 PM Hey..you get your adrenaline pumping and it's dark etc. What do you think you'd do? Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you run your mouth from the safety of your pajamas at your computer desk. I will admit that this police dept. has a cakewalk[I worked in that area}, their last big incident was car tipping, the kids ran around the parking lot, gave the cars a shove and the next thing you know every car alarm was howling. The kids ran behind the stores and were howling too. ...

Anonymous Monday, Dec 1 at 11:43 AM And this is what we pay taxes for!!! Keystone Kops!!! I did NOT write this!

Charlie Sunday, Nov 30 at 7:48 PM FLAG COMMENT MTPD - Mickey Mouse PD at best. The Chief and Training Officer need to loose their jobs before something dangerous occurs or an officer shoots him/herself at their desk. HA HA HA LOOOOOOsers!~!!!!!!!!
    =======

This could have happened to anyone, anywhere. In spite of what I am sure is going to be a tirade for posting this, I do so because NOTHING bad happened. AND I also feel the heat of embarrassment for the Boyz in Blue.

I'm calling Mythbusters about the leaf blower. I want to know if I can make an effective flame thrower with the addition of the cayenne pepper. I've already seen the explosion they made with non-dairy creamer. The only consultation I could offer the man with the burned house, here, have your blackend squirrel supper, I think it's done..

As far as the standoff with the cardboard cutout, it happens, and it was probably good training because they thought it was a real incident, and they treated it as such. Fortunately for all involved, there was no real danger from the suspect, so if they made mistakes, nobody would have gotten shot by the bad guys/girls/cardboard...
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    The only consultation I could offer the man with the burned house, here, have your blackend squirrel supper, I think it's done..
    *runs screaming* "Squirrels.........they're everywhere!"

Forum Member

Was she pixxed at her husband or son for leaving the seat up AGAIN!?

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Cardboard Bank Robber Holds Off SWAT for Hours

Promotional figure keeps cops at bay during standoff at New Jersey bank
    Updated 2:18 PM EST, Sat, Nov 29, 2008

Members of multiple New Jersey SWAT teams ended a tense standoff at a bank by capturing the cardboard cutout figure who refused to comply with their demands.

Multiple New Jersey SWAT teams were held off in a tense standoff at a bank this week by a woman approximately five feet tall and made out of cardboard.

Police say they may never know what set off an alarm at a Somerset County bank that led to a mistaken standoff Thursday night.

Montgomery Township Police Sgt. Robert Mitchell says that false alarms are common and can be set off by animals, wayward balloons or extreme weather.

But he says none of those is apparently to blame for the alarm at a PNC bank branch.

But what happened after the alarm went off around 8:40 p.m. is known. Authorities saw a figure inside the building, which had the blinds drawn. They used bullhorns and telephone calls to try to make contact.

When a SWAT team finally entered more than an hour later, it turned out that the only "person" inside was a cardboard cutout figure.

The cutout managed to keep 30 officers--including SWAT team members from three different New Jersey towns--in tense negotiations for more than three hours, according to NJ.com.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Washington
    =======

COMMENT:

Anonymous ROFLMAO

Maisha Monday, Dec 1 at 10:54 PM 3 hour standoff with cardboard woman....KILL YOURSELVES!!!

mariar56 Monday, Dec 1 at 5:57 PM Hey..you get your adrenaline pumping and it's dark etc. What do you think you'd do? Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you run your mouth from the safety of your pajamas at your computer desk. I will admit that this police dept. has a cakewalk[I worked in that area}, their last big incident was car tipping, the kids ran around the parking lot, gave the cars a shove and the next thing you know every car alarm was howling. The kids ran behind the stores and were howling too. ...

Anonymous Monday, Dec 1 at 11:43 AM And this is what we pay taxes for!!! Keystone Kops!!! I did NOT write this!

Charlie Sunday, Nov 30 at 7:48 PM FLAG COMMENT MTPD - Mickey Mouse PD at best. The Chief and Training Officer need to loose their jobs before something dangerous occurs or an officer shoots him/herself at their desk. HA HA HA LOOOOOOsers!~!!!!!!!!
    =======

This could have happened to anyone, anywhere. In spite of what I am sure is going to be a tirade for posting this, I do so because NOTHING bad happened. AND I also feel the heat of embarrassment for the Boyz in Blue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hey, you! Squirrel Boy!!

[b][color=blue]Squirrel Hunter Sets House on Fire

"I just dropped enough in there and put the blower in there so it could circulate," Ivy said.

However, instead of rodents running out of the vents, smoke and flames came out pouring out.
    I can hear "Hoyt and Delbert" on John Boy and Billy's Big Show now:
    "You put cayenne pepper in your vents using a leaf blower?How'd that work for you?"
    "Nooooot tooo goooood."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    Fortunately for all involved, there was no real danger from the suspect, so if they made mistakes, nobody would have gotten shot by the bad guys/girls/cardboard...
    They could have gotten a papercut taking down the cardboard woman.My God,someone could have been kilt!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    *runs screaming* "Squirrels.........they're everywhere!"
    As my nieceling once mentioned,"Uncle,that one looks like it has a stick.And it's looking at YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    As my nieceling once mentioned,"Uncle,that one looks like it has a stick.And it's looking at YOU!"
    With my luck, what that cute black squirrel had in it's cheeks to store in the tree was probably HE paintballs from this gaming place right up the road from CFB Borden.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

which had the blinds drawn.
    If regular bank security measures are that the blinds are to be left open at night, I'd say they were just following proper police procedure.

I would be willing to bet there are some details not reported by the media in that article.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

I would be willing to bet there are some details not reported by the media in that article.
    I am about willing to put money on that one, too. Mostly because I can't really see any law enforcement agency doing a stand off on something that does not at least throw insults back when given an ultimatum.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

One of our neighboring departments got called out several years ago for a possible suicide...neighbors noticed a mobile home with a car parked outside, running, with a hose connected to the tailpipe and running into the trailer's window. Assuming an attempted suicide by CO, the fire department was summoned. Donning SCBA, they searched the residence and found no occupants.

A short time later the owner showed up and explained that he was trying to exterminate bees in his trailer. True story.

Job security....

I've also been to one myself where the occupants attempted to eradicate roaches with a "roach bomb". But instead of following the directions (like, setting the thing and leaving the house for awhile), Dumb***** Occupant #1 was walking around the house with the thing spewing pesticide, spraying it into the corners, cabinets, etc. Both occupants overcome with the product and had to be transported to the hospital.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

No where in the instructions does it EVER read "User of this product must have a brain AND exercise said brain."

As you say, Job Security.

Thread Information