Thread: Ipma-hr B5

Forum Member

Default Ipma-hr B5

I have the IPMA-HR B5 entrance exam coming up and I am unable to find what kind of questions I need to study for. Has anyone taken this exam? If so could you please let me know what kind of questions, especially math, are on the test?

MembersZone Subscriber

This is right off their web site, good luck

Edit: sorry that didn't format very well, it is easier to read on their web site.

http://testing.ipma-hr.org/content.cfm?pageid=119#b5
    Entry-Level Fire Tests

B-3R and B-4R Firefighter Tests
    B-5 Firefighter Test
    B-5a Firefighter Test

B-3R and B-4R Firefighter Tests
    90 ITEMS, 2 HOUR TIME LIMIT
    $12.50/BOOKLET

No prior training or experience as a firefighter is assumed of candidates taking the B-3R and B-4R Firefighter Tests. These parallel forms were designed to assess critical abilities related to the content areas described below:

Content

Items

B-3R

B-4R

Reading Comprehension

Interpreting Tables

Situational Judgment

Logical Reasoning

Reading Gauges

Applying Basic Math Rules

Mechanical Aptitude

Spatial Sense

Map Reading

Vocabulary

A nationwide job analysis of the entry-level firefighter position was conducted to pinpoint the KSAs necessary for success on the job. The B-3R and B-4R are supported by a criterion-related validation study and rigorous psychometric analysis. The technical report for the B-3R and B-4R provides complete information on the job analysis, test development, and validation processes for these tests. A TSA is necessary to order this report.

B-5 Firefighter Test
    100 ITEMS, 2 HOUR TIME LIMIT
    20 Minutes for TIPs
    $15.00 (includes TIPs)

B-5a Firefighter Test
    80 ITEMS, 1 HOUR 45 MINUTE TIME LIMIT
    20 Minutes for TIPs
    $15.00 (includes TIPs)

No prior training or experience as a firefighter is assumed of candidates taking the B-5 and the B-5a Firefighter Tests. These tests assess a variety of critical abilities related to the content areas described below:

Content

Items

B-5

B-5 a

Ability to Learn, Remember and Apply Information

Reading Comprehension

Interests

N/A

Situational Judgment

Logical and Mathematical Reasoning Ability

A nationwide job analysis of the entry-level firefighter position was conducted to pinpoint the KSAs necessary for success on the job. Unlike the B-5a, the B-5 assesses a wider range of characteristics than typical entry-level firefighter tests. In addition to evaluating critical abilities such as those outlined above, the B-5 contains a non-cognitive component that measures personal traits. Please note that other than the Interests section, the B-5 and B-5a contain the same questions. Both tests are supported by ongoing criterion-related validation studies and rigorous psychometric analyses. The technical report for the B-5 and B-5a provides complete information on the job analysis, test development, and validation processes for these tests. A TSA is necessary to order this report.

NOTE: TIPs should not be distributed to candidates prior to the day of the test. TIPs is an integral, timed part of the test and should be distributed, timed and collected just prior to the distribution of the test booklet(s).

NOTE: B-5 and B-5a are not available in the state of Connecticut. Call for more details.

Forum Member

Thank you for your reply. I have seen that website, but im not quite sure what mathmatical reasoning and logic consists of. I have been out of high school for 12 years now and need to know what kind of math I need to brush up on. It sucks when you know you have a test, but dont know what to study. Driving me crazy.

Thread Information