Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tips or Info on becoming OHIO firefighter??

Hey guys I just graduated highschool last year and its been my dream to be a firefighter. I live in ohio and would like to stay in ohio. Does anyone know of any testing coming up? Or what departments to go for? Or basically anything that might help me out?? Thanks so much.

-Trey Ford

Trey,

As I understand it, the two best cities for consistently fighting fire in Ohio is Youngstown who doesn't pay much and is laying people off and Cleveland who hasn't hired in a decade.

The last several classes we have had here in Memphis has been filled with people from Ohio.

Good luck.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

EDIT - I looked around and can't really help.
    I've only heard rumors about a couple smaller-career/combination departments so I can't say anything for sure.

Keep your eye on Perrysburg City (a volunteer/career combination department just a few miles south of Toledo). That's really the only one I'm most positive on hiring more-frequently.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 11-29-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Where do you live? Get your EMT and then your Paramedic cards. Go to fire school if you can. The more training you get, the better your odds will be. Or, go to Hocking College for a couple of years and get it all.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

You beat me to it Lt Kramer...

Cincinnati tends to hire pretty frequently if you are high enough on the list and Columbus is decent. Columbus test has to be impossible with the video portion right before you take the physical agility. I tested for Indianapolis (who's written was harder) and scored better. I have my reasons for the disparity, but I'll keep those to myself.
    Last edited by cowbucks06; 11-29-2008 at 03:39 PM.

On becoming a FF, the tips and website are all out there and been posted in here numerous times.

Also, as stated before, you are NOT going to get the best up-to-date jobs listing by word of mouth in here. You need to subscibe to a service like the rest of have/did.

Here is a source- www.firerecruit.com

They currently have 20+ OHIO jobs listed.

1. Find Ohio on map.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    On becoming a FF, the tips and website are all out there and been posted in here numerous times.

Also, as stated before, you are NOT going to get the best up-to-date jobs listing by word of mouth in here. You need to subscibe to a service like the rest of have/did.

Here is a source- www.firerecruit.com

They currently have 20+ OHIO jobs listed.
    I just joined that website thanks to your advice. Its great! Thanks a lot everyone.

Look for some tests coming up and take them. Also I would take your FF II at the fire academy if you can. Or even at Hocking (that isn't to far from you is it?) Once getting that I would get you EMT -B. Having that will get you some bonus points on tests.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

If you are looking for a career Ohio is tough to get in without a medic card. If you are looking to volunteer, stop by the local station and talk to some of the guys. Some will send you through basic school. However best things to do is the state level 2 course aka 240 school and basic emt till you can get ready to take medic school.

That is the best if your are looking for a suburb, however test outside of Ohio (southwest, Texas, south east US) there is a fair amount of jobs out there, Also don't ignore DC, FDNY, or the other East Coast cities.

Alway keep up on the Jobs in the upper tab, it is worthwhile to subscribe even just for that.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by treyford2008 View Post
    Hey guys I just graduated highschool last year and its been my dream to be a firefighter. I live in ohio and would like to stay in ohio. Does anyone know of any testing coming up? Or what departments to go for? Or basically anything that might help me out?? Thanks so much.

-Trey Ford
    Also please check the "Your Local Firehouse Forums" section down about 3 sections on the main forums page. Please enable you PM's also.
    Thank you, cbk

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Also please check the "Your Local Firehouse Forums" section down about 3 sections on the main forums page. Please enable you PM's also.
    Thank you, cbk
    Sorry about that I didnt know my PM'S were disabled. I fixed it. Thanks.

Forum Member

1. ALOT of Ohio fire Dept's are hiring.
    2. Most are "mid size cities" from 15,000-80k or so.
    3. Most do pay well. Around 45-55k per year. Some more and some less.
    4. Join the Military and do your time. When you get out "honorably" you will be a veteran. Its like gold.
    5. Most Cities have a minimum age of 21.
    6. Become an Intermediate EMT or Paramedic. (in Ohio there isnt much difference anymore. (im a Medic and am not afraid to admit that if i had to do it over...I'd be an Intermediate. They can handle 99% of the runs the same as us medics can. Lots of drugs can be given by EMT -I's in Ohio.
    Bottom line. Fire jobs are available in Ohio for Sure. Pick a city and call, see if they will be testing.
    Be honestly, If you dont have a 4 year degree or be a Veteran, Forget about it.
    Too much competition.

Forum Member

a little off subject but i say it on here and was just wondering if anyone on here went to hocking or know any thing about it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alecshawn1 View Post
    1. ALOT of Ohio fire Dept's are hiring.
    2. Most are "mid size cities" from 15,000-80k or so.
    3. Most do pay well. Around 45-55k per year. Some more and some less.
    4. Join the Military and do your time. When you get out "honorably" you will be a veteran. Its like gold.
    5. Most Cities have a minimum age of 21.
    6. Become an Intermediate EMT or Paramedic. (in Ohio there isnt much difference anymore. (im a Medic and am not afraid to admit that if i had to do it over...I'd be an Intermediate. They can handle 99% of the runs the same as us medics can. Lots of drugs can be given by EMT -I's in Ohio.
    Bottom line. Fire jobs are available in Ohio for Sure. Pick a city and call, see if they will be testing.
    Be honestly, If you dont have a 4 year degree or be a Veteran, Forget about it.
    Too much competition.
    Most of this is true, but a little skewed. Some cities give militay credit, a lot are starting to also give equivelant credit for college. Military is not gold any more. 21 is the age needed for full time due to the vehicle insurance. Most volunteer or part time departments need the help and will just need you to be 18. Paramedic is important. Some parts of the state allow intermediates to function pretty freely, not all. This is dependent on the med control doc and the area. If the area is flodded with medics, the intermediates cannot use drugs in most areas. If they are light on medics, then you are correct. Having a degree or military can help in some instances, it is not necessary. Get your training and try go get some experience. Any more, they will send you to fire school, medic school is almost always a prerequisite to even take a test, at least up North. The more certifications or classes you can get on your resume, the better you will be. But, the most important thing is to take tests and score well. If yu have a ream of paper for a resume and I out score you by 10%, you will still not get hired. Ohio is very competitive. Now, is the time to take tests. DROP is at the point where we are going to be seeing a lot of retirements in the next year or two. Get on as many lists as you can, and do not get discouraged. Some hiring processes can take a while.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information