Thread: 21m

Forum Member

Default 21M Units

I am a retired Army firefighter, 12 years ARNG and 12 years Active Duty retiring in August 2004. I have spent the last three years working on a book about the Army 21M career field from World War I to present day. The following list shows the locations of the Active, ARNG and USAR firefighting units that I have been able to confirm.

UNIT LOCATION
    95 Eng Tm (FFTG HQ) Ft Drum, NY
    520 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Frum, NY
    176 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Knox, KY
    177 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Greenville, KY
    178 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Knox, KY
    179 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Edward, MA
    180 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Edward, MA
    194 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Verde, AZ
    200 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CO ARNG
    215 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Santiago, PR
    216 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Sturgis SD
    451 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturgis SD
    233 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Roseville, CA
    237 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    246 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CT ARNG
    256 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CT ARNG
    264 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Allendale, SC
    265 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    266 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    267 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    268 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    297 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pearl City, HI
    323 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) El Dorado, KS
    340 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    370 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    406 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    723 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    336 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    369 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Norristown,PA
    319 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    619 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    633 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    376 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Granite City, IL
    324 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    459 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    736 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    430 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Morrisville, NC
    463 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Houston, TX
    238 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    337 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    392 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    449 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    547 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    548 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    467 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Garden City, KS
    314 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Garden City, KS
    355 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Garden City, KS
    468 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Danvers, MA
    287 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    339 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    356 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    475 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Creston, IA
    294 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    398 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    414 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    245 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    487 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    516 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    482 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Ft. Riley, KS
    359 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft. Riley, KS
    750 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft. Riley, KS
    506 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Lewis, WA
    507 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Hood, TX
    508 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Campbell, KY
    513 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Bragg, NC
    514 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Hunter Army Airfield, AL
    524 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Polk, LA
    530 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Somersworth, NH
    537 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Lewis, WA
    550 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Campbell, KY
    557 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Hood, TX
    562 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Leonard Wood, MO
    628 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    661 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sparta, IL
    662 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sparta, IL
    672 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Johnson, IA
    677 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Morrisville, NC
    683 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Pascagoula, MS
    379 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pascagoula, MS
    493 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pascagoula, MS
    719 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Edinburg, IN
    819 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Edinburg, IN
    1019 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Edinburg, IN
    768 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Johnson, IA
    907 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Yakima, WA
    306 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Yakima, WA

Forum Member

Dont forget about Ft. Rucker. Thats where my husband is 21M. There is a lot of FF out here because of it being a flight training school. The main post fire station is DoD but the stage fields are mixed with active duty and DoD FF.

Default Headquarters

It's also important to note the structure of the fire fighting teams. There is generally one headquarters unit the equivalent of what a company would be in the rest of the military and then multiple subordinate fire fighting teams that are technically their own company (on paper) but operate as a platoon under the headquarters unit.

For example, the 468th Eng Det in Danvers, MA is a headquarters unit with the Commander ("Fire Commisioner"), First Sergeant ("Fire Chief"), and in our case the UA is the "Fire Inspector," along with two mechanics for the subordinate fire fighting teams. Note that this is not an actual fire fighting team capable of responding to a call on it's own.

Falling under the 468th is the 287th, 339th, and 356th Eng Dets all out of Danvers as well as the 530th out of Somersworth, NH. Each fire fighting team is a team of 7 (or in my experience 5-11) fire fighters operating as a platoon, with an E-5 or E-6 leading the fire fighting team. It is not uncommon for teams to train separately from each other. For example the 339th went to Fort McCoy for AT/ECT this year as its own Company. Battalion formations were interesting because the team only has one E-5 and the rest E-3/E-4. At battalion formation an E-4 would be in front of the formation is the First Sergeant, and pass command to the E-5 as the Commander.

I'm assuming you know all of this usaeff, this is just an explanation for the general public (if anyone's interested). Also, I thought it'd be a decent suggestion for how to order this list. Maybe the headquarters unit in bold or something of the sort with any subordinate units listed underneath as the fire fighting teams that fall under the headquarters.

Josieless,

You seem to know a lot about the base up in Danvers, MA. I am interested in joining the National Guard as a 21M. I am from just south of Boston, and would like any info you have about the Guard's 21m involvement up in Danvers. I would like to know about the firefighters activities on drill weekends, past deployments, and your opinion on the availability of the MOS for the Guard (if you know), and also how you like the 21M MOS.

ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

To all those skeptics,

Yes, we do exist. Like stated earlier though, we are very rare to find, about only 321 of us exist in the active army alone. There are much more out in the reserve/guard, but other then that, slim to none when it comes to the Active side of the house.

I've been stationed at Fort Hood Tx for the last year and a half under the 507th Fire Fighting detachment. Life has been good working at the 3 different stations that our specific detachment covers. However, there has been some fubar things we've had to deal/dealing with (aka with whom we're detached to).

When working at the station we work under the civilians working 24 hours on 24 hours off shift work.

Most of us also were sent through the EMT-B course,for free through military education set up on Fort Hood, and are Nationally registered. In september, we're going through a Hazmat Tech class thats making its way up here.

Alot is about to change here in a month however.

Contractors are getting pulled out of Afghanistan and being replaced with Fire Fighting detachments, being put on a yearly rotation out on the FOBS out there. Ft. Stewart being the first to go here this August, my detachment replacing them next july, and so on a so forth.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Forum Member

WHen you are active duty you can get your EMS using your tuitian assistance (TA) and it wont cost you anything nor will it use your GI bill . Thats what my husband is doing now. Very simple to set up.

We were told no more 21M 4 yrs ago to when thats all my husband would accept. They found us a spot and he left a few months later. Here at Fort Rucker they are getting new firefighters all the time so while it may be hard to get its not impossible.

Fort Rucker is a great location to get because of it being the pilot training school. You get alot of PLs out here and if you can get yourself a spot at Flat Iron you get to fly and be part of the crash crew as a back seater doing medevac rescue. In the 3 yrs we have been here my husband has been on several bad crashes (no fires) and was able to be a part of the crew that got extracted them, and flew them out to area hospitals.

Getting your EMS certification won't even touch nor will it involve your TA. The army has an EMTB program that Combat Medics are forced to take every so often, and if you ask for it, you'll be thrown into one of these classes. We go through a month long course with them (its pretty fast, so if you can't take in information like that, i recommend the 3 month college course which does involve your TA). It get yours you your BLS and CPR certs, along with, of course, your EMTB and the ability to take the NREMT (which I highly recommend.)

Forum Member

Any one that tells you 21M is going out of service or wonít be in the Army much longer is full of it. I have been hearing that for years, about 6 now. Hey and here we still stand. Even had my CSM told me that we would have to find another MOS here soon. That was in February; guess what? He was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

I know for a fact that 21M will be around for the next 6-8 years. We are thinning out, and I expect we will continue to do so until after the wars because we all know what happens after a war. The military offers early outs, and cuts down on its numbers, but we are not going away. At least not any time soon.

Usaeff
    Iím the 1st Sgt of the 463rd in Houston, would like to hear about your book. If you need some info let me know. Either way still would like to talk about your book. Give me a shout, shortimer52@hotmail.com
    Last edited by shortimer52; 08-20-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Forum Member

I am thinking of joining the National Guard in California. I want to serve my country but my ultimate goal is to be a firefighter.

My recruiter is telling me a few things that I wanted to verify.

First he said that they wont accept anyone for 21m without having two years of Fire Science. I already have Gen Ed for College mostly complete. He suggested I enlist 09s and do OCS 1 weekend a month for 18 months and take Fire Science Classes at the same time. Then before I commission go into AIT for 21m.

Couple questions I have about this plan:

Do you need 2 years Fire Science for 21m?

If I complete OCS but do not commission right away (Ive been told you have two years to commission) would I be allowed to reschool in 21m?

Ive found an online school for Fire Science http://www.amu.apus.edu/fire-science/index.htm

Is this covered by TA or GI?

If I do commission can I work as a Civilian Firefighter or will I become a full time office in the Army?

I need some education on becoming an officer and whats required of you after you go through OCS and commission.

Forum Member

There are no commissioned officers as firefighters in the Army at all. The officers they do have is a Fire Marshall and all they do is paper work and get in the way. They dont do any firefighting or direct any firefighting operations (AR420-1). You dont need any schooling or OJT to get a job as a firefighter. The 21M MOS is only for enlisted soldiers. So if you want to be a firefighter in the Army Gaurd, Reserves, or Active Duty you have to be enlisted. The rank of PVT to SFC (E-1 to E-7).

Forum Member

Thank you for the info. I talked to my recruit again he said that if I wanted to go 21m I would need 2 years of fire science. He suggested to enlist as 88m since AIT is short. Go to school for Fire science while Im a reserve as 88m then re enlist for 21m.

The two year requirement I think is just a requirement of the National Guard Unit in Santa Rosa CA.

How likely does this scenario sound?

MembersZone Subscriber

"How likely does this scenario sound? "

Not at all. The recruter is straight up lying to you!!!! Tell him you want 21M. If he says anything else, stand up, and tell him thank you for his time, and that you don't appreciate being lied to. Then respectfully shake his hand, turn around, and walk out!!

If he lets you walk out the door, he's a fool...if he doesn't let you walk out the door, he's still a fool, but this time for lying to you!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Just an update I just enlisted with the CANG with the 233rd FFT. Leave for BCT 03AUG2010 AIT 21OCT2010

Oh and btw 21m is going away..they changed it to 12m

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usaeff View Post
    I am a retired Army firefighter, 12 years ARNG and 12 years Active Duty retiring in August 2004. I have spent the last three years working on a book about the Army 21M career field from World War I to present day. The following list shows the locations of the Active, ARNG and USAR firefighting units that I have been able to confirm.

UNIT LOCATION
    95 Eng Tm (FFTG HQ) Ft Drum, NY
    520 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Frum, NY
    176 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Knox, KY
    177 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Greenville, KY
    178 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Knox, KY
    179 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Edward, MA
    180 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Edward, MA
    194 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Verde, AZ
    200 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CO ARNG
    215 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Camp Santiago, PR
    216 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Sturgis SD
    451 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturgis SD
    233 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Roseville, CA
    237 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    246 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CT ARNG
    256 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) CT ARNG
    264 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Allendale, SC
    265 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    266 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    267 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    268 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Allendale, SC
    297 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pearl City, HI
    323 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) El Dorado, KS
    340 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    370 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    406 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    723 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) El Dorado, KS
    336 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    369 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Norristown,PA
    319 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    619 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    633 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Norristown,PA
    376 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Granite City, IL
    324 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    459 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    736 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Granite City, IL
    430 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Morrisville, NC
    463 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Houston, TX
    238 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    337 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    392 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    449 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    547 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    548 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Houston, TX
    467 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Garden City, KS
    314 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Garden City, KS
    355 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Garden City, KS
    468 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Danvers, MA
    287 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    339 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    356 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Danvers, MA
    475 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Creston, IA
    294 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    398 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    414 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Creston, IA
    245 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    487 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    516 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Lincoln, NE
    482 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Ft. Riley, KS
    359 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft. Riley, KS
    750 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft. Riley, KS
    506 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Lewis, WA
    507 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Hood, TX
    508 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Campbell, KY
    513 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Bragg, NC
    514 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Hunter Army Airfield, AL
    524 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Polk, LA
    530 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Somersworth, NH
    537 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Lewis, WA
    550 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Campbell, KY
    557 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Hood, TX
    562 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Ft Leonard Wood, MO
    628 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sturtevant, WI
    661 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sparta, IL
    662 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Sparta, IL
    672 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Johnson, IA
    677 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Morrisville, NC
    683 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Pascagoula, MS
    379 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pascagoula, MS
    493 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Pascagoula, MS
    719 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Edinburg, IN
    819 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Edinburg, IN
    1019 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Edinburg, IN
    768 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Johnson, IA
    907 Eng Det (FFTG HQ) Yakima, WA
    306 Eng Det (FFTG Tm) Yakima, WA
    I'm a former 51M/21M. I got out of the COARNG in 2005. My unit was the 1157th FFTG Tm. I was one of the original 6 after the army disbanded the active duty unit. The unit has one or two TFFT's and no one to operate it (D/O). The unit has added a few more personnel so the army got rid of the 1157th and broke the unit into two teams. I think that it's now the 199th and 200th.

I did meet some active duty guys there (Fort Carson). They were working at the stations with the civilian firefighters, but they had a funky schudule. One month the were firefighters, the next month the were with a ordance unit. I thought that was weird. I also talked to a buddy of mine a few years ago, he was at Fort Hood and he was doing the same thing down there as a active duty firefighter (one month rotation).

I have also thought about going back, but as one person said on here, they won't send you to any schools. I guess it's a good thing that I'm in a Federal Fire Dept.

Forum Member

THe way I understandit the Army wants to align (civ.) firefighter job series under career field 12 (safety). Than changing this MOS would be consistent.
    BTW: On dodfire there is an announcment that Army wants to redo the field manual.
    Seems to be something moving.

Thread Information