Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: 21m

  1. #1
    Forum Member Shrek7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northeast Virginia
    Posts
    0

    Default 21m

    I am wondering how Army MOS 21m compairs to a local or city department? What i mean is, how are the stations staffed?, what are the shifts like?, and just any info i can get. I want to serve my country, and be a firefighter. I just want to get as much information as i can.

    Thank's for all your input


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14

    Default

    You may not get a response for a while, 21m are like unicorns. If you see one, you should take a picture.

    A lot of recruiters dangle 21m in front of people like it's an easy job to get. Don't let them fool you, there are VERY few slots and the active duty contingent of army firefighters is going the way of the dodo. I am a civilian firefighter at Elmendorf AFB/Ft Richardson. Ft Rich is one of the biggest army bases in the military and we have exactly 0 army firefighters. I've actually only seen 1 in the 4+ years I've been involved with the military fire service (4 years AD air force, just came back on as a civilian) and that was at the fire academy. The army should be totally rid of active duty 21m by 2014. If you're looking to serve active and be a firefighter, talk to the Air force recruiter, and even that's a stretch. If you've gotten a 21m slot guaranteed...give it some consideration but realize you might spend a lot of your time overseas sitting behind a machine gun.

    Now that that's out of the way, our departments are great. Most bases train a lot, emergencies vary depending on the base. Army bases tend to get more interesting calls, the stresses that army personnel deal with result in a lot more of the calls a major city department goes on. Gunshot wounds, overdoses, trauma calls, and fires just seem to happen on the army side much more frequently than the AF. That said, because most everyone on base is 20-50 years old and in good health, there isn't a high volume of calls. Depending on the base, if you're running 4-5 calls a day you're doing very well. Also, because almost every building on base has advanced fire suppression systems, structure fires aren't real common.

    Our shifts (again) vary depending on the department, but it's almost always some variation of 24 on 24 off. Yes, we work many more hours than a city department, but we generally run a lot less too. Some departments have switched to 48 on 48 off which works well too. You get a shift off about every 2 weeks. Pay for civilians is good, comparable to a city FD. Pay for military...well it is what it is. Most guys here seem to do fine despite the ridiculously high cost of lving in Alaska.

    if you have questions, pm me!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek7 View Post
    I am wondering how Army MOS 21m compairs to a local or city department? What i mean is, how are the stations staffed?, what are the shifts like?, and just any info i can get. I want to serve my country, and be a firefighter. I just want to get as much information as i can.

    Thank's for all your input
    I've met 4 21M's in my 6 years. They were all ammo counters. Literally, they sat on a bench at USAG Misau, Germany and counted bullets. They finally convinced thier 1st Sgt and Commander to work shift with us at Ramstein AFB FD. They would do 2 week rotations and then go out for field training and such. Probably only a small few of the Army that did firefighting. I could be wrong though.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    546

    Default elmo

    MegaKarl,
    is ft rich/elmo hiring anytime soon... i was stationed up there 98-01 and loved it.. would love to go back

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megakarl99 View Post
    You may not get a response for a while, 21m are like unicorns. If you see one, you should take a picture.
    Take a Pic.lol

    Iím a 21M, trust me bro if you want to do firefighting go AF. Now im not an active duty 21M; Iím just a weekend guy now. Yes some of the AD guys get the big green (Insert comment here) But from the guys I know or known itís not all like that. I understand Ft. Hood is an OK place to be. AD 21M is a hard thing to get, but in the right spot youíll enjoy it.


    Now if you want to go reserves that good just as well. But if you think youíll get certs think again. A few things I know for fact. Your unit WONíT be sending you to any classes required for your promotion and chances are youíll have a Sgt. /SSG. First Sgt/Fire Chief that might have his Fire Officer I. But on the good note that person prob is a full time firefighter someplace else. If you want to get promoted in the reserves youíll have to pay your own way. From the looks of it most schools donít take the GI bill or the Army T/A.

    We are getting new equipment but no one can do anything because no one has the certs. I could go on but I wonít get on my soap box. If you like being the redheaded stepchild then 21M is the way to go.

    Just my 2 cents

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default Take another pic!

    Im a DOD civilian firefighter, and a 21m SGT in the reserves (just got out of the reserves actually). We have active duty firefighters where I work and they work our shifts, ride the trucks etc etc. But there are 9 of them total. Yes count em, 9 at our installation. This is one of the (maybe 2 or 3) places that AD 21m's ride the trucks and dont count ammo. Everywhere else Im sure your doing something else like counting ammo.

    I dont believe that 21m's are going anywhere since all units are recieving the new TFFT and HEWAT vehicles (reserve and AD) And if I recall, there are only 600 AD and Reserve 21M's total. We are very very scarce. Ive been out of country and had "full birds" tell me they didnt know the army had firefighters!! What does that tell you? I know and I'll tell you.....that when you get deployed, unless you hook up with an aviation squadron that likes you and wants you around, nobody know what to do with you or how to utilize you, and as an E-5 being your NCOIC, nobody wants to listen to you...they wanna know where your officer is....and you tell them, IM IT...just the 6 of us here...no officer...So you just tag along and wander aimlessly out of country with no direction until you hook up with aviation that want you.

    These are my experiences only and my opinion. If you ya wanna go 21M, go into the reserves, get your AIT and certs done then apply for Civilian positions (federal and otherwise). Lot less headache....until your one weekend a month, two weeks a year and deployment....then grin and bear it till your out. I will say there are plenty of great guys in the 21M MOS though....friendships that will last a lifetime!

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Angry 21m

    It doesnít matter what branch of service you go in for firefighting because we all go to the same fire school at Goodfellow Tx. You should would pick a service that you think that fits you and what you would be happy with.

    As for all those people who are not active duty Army Firefighters need to quit saying that the MOS is going away. I would like to know where they are getting this info from. The one's who are saying these things aren't even in the Army so how would they know this.

    I am an active duty FF and the unit I am in is a fairly new unit to the Army. Our unit is only three years old. Like someone else said the Army would not be giving Pierce multi million dollar contracts to build the TFFT and the HEWATT if they are doing away with the MOS. Which we are receiving the HEWATT in March 2009. I am stationed at Ft. Lewis WA. And there are three FF units on Ft. Lewis the 506, 537, and the 63rd. We work side by side with the cilivians here doing 48 hr. shifts, 3,000 plus calls a year.

    You can find active duty 21M at Ft. Lewis, Ft. Carson, Ft. Leonard Wood, FT. Hood, Ft. Polk, Ft. Stewart, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Campbell, Ft. Drum, Ft. Rucker, Germany, and the Netherlands. So we are not that hard to find you just have to ask.
    Last edited by panthers; 01-31-2009 at 12:20 AM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    panthers,

    Do you have the opportunity to get your emt or paramedic certs from the army or do they make you pay for them? What are the ups and downs that you see as a Fire Fighter in the army?

    Thanks again for your service!

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default 21m

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    panthers,

    Do you have the opportunity to get your emt or paramedic certs from the army or do they make you pay for them? What are the ups and downs that you see as a Fire Fighter in the army?

    Thanks again for your service!
    You can get your EMT through the Army for free. There are a few different ways to go about getting your EMT cert. If you want to try for your paramedic you have to get permission from you commander to do a school drop to go through the 8 mo. school. All of my soldiers have their EMT, with the exception of two just because they can't pass the class . The civilians here help us with all of our certs. We have a really good working relationship with each other. If you are a civilian at Ft. Lewis the chief will send you to paramedic school when slots come open.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    panthers,

    How would you get your EMT cert for free? by using the GI Bill?, I was looking at the joining the guard as an option. I hear that its extremely hard to get 21M as your mos, is it really that hard?

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default 21m

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    panthers,

    How would you get your EMT cert for free? by using the GI Bill?, I was looking at the joining the guard as an option. I hear that its extremely hard to get 21M as your mos, is it really that hard?
    It is hard sometimes getting into the MOS but not impossible. Itís hard sometimes because most of the slots are filled. Most guard units will take more 21M than needed. You just have to get your recruiter to work for you to get the MOS. 1. The G.I. Bill can pay for your E.M.T. 2. Active Army has Go Army Ed also to pay for it. 3. The unit can pay for it out of unit funds. 4. Fire chief can pay for it out of their funds. 5. Military bases that have a large medical command usually have instructors to teach the class for free for military.
    If there is any thing I can help you with just let me know.
    Last edited by panthers; 12-30-2008 at 01:54 PM.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    panthers,

    Really good info! that helps a lot! I've been debating to go Army 21m or to the fire college here. Both seem to have many pluses. What kind of bunker gear are you guys using. Where do they send you guys to bct? Your than off to Goodfellow right? What would you recommend for pt to get ready for bct and the DOD academy?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default 21m

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    panthers,

    Really good info! that helps a lot! I've been debating to go Army 21m or to the fire college here. Both seem to have many pluses. What kind of bunker gear are you guys using. Where do they send you guys to bct? Your than off to Goodfellow right? What would you recommend for pt to get ready for bct and the DOD academy?
    For School we go to Goodfellow AFB, for basic training you can go to a few places. Ft. Jackson, S.C., Ft. Leonard wood, MO., Ft. Knox, KY., or Ft. Benning, Ga.
    As for bunker gear it depends on the person who orders the gear. For the past two years I have ordered Globe G-extreme bunker gear and Globe also for crash gear.
    The main thing I would recommend for pt is to do alot of cardio work outs and do some running like two to three miles 3 days a week. Weight training is good but I seen allot of guys at the school who are really strong but can't finish because their cardio sucks.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    panthers,

    Spoke to a recruiter and they said that 21m are being fazed out to civilian's and there are very limited spots if any. Any truth to that?

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default

    They are not getting rid of 21M.
    Last edited by panthers; 04-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Hey ctrlaltdelete any luck on getting 21M??

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Can you email me at my ako. My name is Mark Wisdom. I am wanting more info about 21M because my window is about to open up and I am thinking of trying to reclass. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by panthers View Post
    It doesnít matter what branch of service you go in for firefighting because we all go to the same fire school at Goodfellow Tx. You should would pick a service that you think that fits you and what you would be happy with.

    As for all those people who are not active duty Army Firefighters need to quit saying that the MOS is going away. I would like to know where they are getting this info from. The one's who are saying these things aren't even in the Army so how would they know this.

    I am an active duty FF and the unit I am in is a fairly new unit to the Army. Our unit is only three years old. Like someone else said the Army would not be giving Pierce multi million dollar contracts to build the TFFT and the HEWATT if they are doing away with the MOS. Which we are receiving the HEWATT in March 2009. I am stationed at Ft. Lewis WA. And there are three FF units on Ft. Lewis the 506, 537, and the 63rd. We work side by side with the cilivians here doing 48 hr. shifts, 3,000 plus calls a year.

    You can find active duty 21M at Ft. Lewis, Ft. Carson, Ft. Leonard Wood, FT. Hood, Ft. Polk, Ft. Stewart, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Campbell, Ft. Drum, Ft. Rucker, Germany, and the Netherlands. So we are not that hard to find you just have to ask.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    panthers,

    No luck on 21m, after the recruiter said that they are fazing it out I moved on. I don't remember the name of the recruiter, I was talking to them on goarmy.com, why would they say that the Army is fazing it out?

    Thanks man for all your help!

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    126

    Default

    The recruiter you talked to is ignorant, or he is trying to fill other MOSs. Panthers is correct. There are some changes coming, maybe good-maybe bad(?) But phasing them out? I don't think so. I've been a 21M (and a 51M) for 27 years. Guess how many years I've been hearing they're phasing out the MOS!

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    38

    Default

    If they were getting rid of the MOS why am I getting another new soldier in March??? I just helped a recruiter who is a friend of mine who lives in CA. help recruit a person in the Army as a 21M. If it looks like a fish and smells like a fish than its a ..........
    Last edited by panthers; 02-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts