Forum Member

Default Volunteer Departments in Southeast Florida

Hey all,

I'm going to be moving from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale in the coming months for a new job. I was wondering if anyone knows of any fire departments in that area (Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade County). From my own research, I can only find 2 or 3 departments (Lauderdale by the Sea, Southeast Ranches), but am I missing some?

Please let me know,

OfftoFlorida.

Forum Member

Default Palm Beach County has some volunteers

Forum Member

Default Palm Beach County

It seems that the volunteer division only goes to brush fires and large incidents at the request of Incident Commanders. In Palm Beach County, do they ride on the engines and act as attack firefighters alongside career firefighters? It seems that their activities are limited...of course I could be reading it wrong. If anyone has any additional info, that would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Plantation Fire Department in Broward County is a partially volunteer department.

Forum Member

Martin County has a volunteer division that has volunteer only stations. In Palm Beach County, Palm Beach Gardens(my dept), North Palm Beach, Tequesta and Palm Beach County all have volunteer divisions. They are more like an explorers post for adults but you get to ride out and if you are certified you can participate on calls up to your cert level. Palm Beach Shores is all volunteer. In Broward county you have Plantation(very good) and Lauderdale-By-the-Sea(pretty scary) that are all volunteer single service providers, meaning the do all the fire protection. Both are an all volunteer dept with separate EMS. LBTS uses AMR and Plantation uses their own EMS. Southwest Ranches has an all volunteer dept but they are a supplement to the County who has the contract to provide services in Southwest Ranches. I was a Captain there along time ago and from what I've heard they don't do much of anything. PM me if you want more info on them, I still keep in contact with the chief. My advise is to go to Plantation if you move to Broward.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information