Forum Member

Default FDNY/Chicago equipment.

Could'nt find any info online in regards to what the FDNY and the Chicago FD are using for turnout gear, helmets and SCBA. Mainly brands and models. I have come across the FDNY and Chicago helmets on many sites, but it seems as though many say they are not NFPA approved, so what are they using?

Forum Member

CFD is in Janesvilles with MSAs.

I believe FDNY is Morning Pride with Scotts.

Forum Member

FDNY Morning pride and Scott

Chicago: Member's Only jackets and beards or sponges dipped in water.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

What about the hemets?

I even tried doing photo searches but had little luck. All i can tell is they both are wearing traditional style helmets. But i cannot tell if they are leather or plastic and what brand and model.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Chicago uses Black Janesville . Carins trad helemts, Leather Ranger boots, and MSA Firehawk packs.

FDNY uses Black MP and Scott packs
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Cairns 880 helmet is what Chicago issues, while FDNY issues Ben II Morning Pride.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Chicago uses Black Janesville . Carins trad helemts, Leather Ranger boots, and MSA Firehawk packs.

FDNY uses Black MP and Scott packs
    Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Cairns 880 helmet is what Chicago issues, while FDNY issues Ben II Morning Pride.
    Chicago has their own modification of the 880 helmet, its called the 880 Chicago (I have no clue why...). They used to issue Ben 2 helmets, and it is my belief that you can still get them before going into the academy (purchase on your own I believe). As far as the boots, I believe they are in the process to switching to Globe Magnum boots, as there were slipping on the ice. I know several Battalion 13 companies (Truck 29, Engine 96, Engine 117 and TL 14, at least) have been issued them as a test, and from talking to guys from those houses, they love them. As well, many, many guys opted to cut off the tops of their 3/4 rubber boots and use those.

I have no idea about Chicago however i have alittle knowledge on FDNY.

My department uses FDNY spec turn-outs, It is morning pride double padded knees, low back bunkers with pockdets on both sides and your normal scotch light on the ankles. The jackets are your modern trench cut style jackets with the extended bottom or "tail". This would be where u see most guys have the names or something written on the bottom of the jacket. They are velcro with 3 snap buttons and then the close over flap with the clips, they have the normal collar with the normal flap to close over, I have a set the was order the begining of '08 and it came with a new feature (which drives me crazy), it has the rescue harness or drag rescue system (to be exact). It basically is small tubualar webbing inside your jacket the go around the arms and comes out the back of your neck. I hate mine (though have never had to use it, might make me like it better if i needed it) the tend to tangle when your working hard and sometimes tighten up on there own. They also make great targets for ball busting. As for minor details im unsure if we added the radio pocket or if it came with it and we also added a clip opposite the radio pocket for a light or keys or what ever is personally preference. The bunkers also have the new boot notches cut in them, which i have notice help me alot as i like my bunkers a lil bit big and was constantly going through them due to steping on the back. With those came the Cairns (i believe) Ben 2. I know its the Ben 2 just not sure about the make, i wear a leather and didnt get a new helemet. As far as boots ours came with the warrington pro leathers not sure which kind as most of our guys already had there own personal boots, including myself. They operate with Scott for there airpacks and depending on the company have 30 mins or 1 hr bottles ( i believe the rescues are 1 hrs and everyone else is 30mins) I can tell you the morning pride is a lil more expensive then most but by far the best gear i have ever worn, and the way our purchasing goes i have worn sets from globe, cairnes, fire-dex and probally a few sets that had more then one type. The MP is the BEST.

Thread Information