Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default So close ... What to do now

Hello everyone

A few months ago I finally heard back that 2 years worth of hard work was thrown out the window. I recieved an offer letter to a great department (on my first try) passed all tests, was sent to perf med check just to find out I had a heart murmur that had to be checked out. Three weeks later I was diaganosed with a somewhat serious heart disease. I was rejected fromthe perf board. I was told I could probably never be hired by a perf department (although there are FF's with my condition)

This was all also compounded by the fact I lost my father to a line of duty death just days before I recieved this bad news. Firefighters showed up from across the state to show their respects and to wish me luck. When I was rejected, I pretty much stop trying. But now I'm ready to shake the dust off and to see what prices I can pick up

I am wondering if it's even worth going after if I can't be hired by perf based departments.

What would you guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by r3ydium View Post
    Hello everyone

A few months ago I finally heard back that 2 years worth of hard work was thrown out the window. I recieved an offer letter to a great department (on my first try) passed all tests, was sent to perf med check just to find out I had a heart murmur that had to be checked out. Three weeks later I was diaganosed with a somewhat serious heart disease. I was rejected fromthe perf board. I was told I could probably never be hired by a perf department (although there are FF's with my condition)

This was all also compounded by the fact I lost my father to a line of duty death just days before I recieved this bad news. Firefighters showed up from across the state to show their respects and to wish me luck. When I was rejected, I pretty much stop trying. But now I'm ready to shake the dust off and to see what prices I can pick up

I am wondering if it's even worth going after if I can't be hired by perf based departments.

What would you guys do?

First off, I'm very sorry for the loss of your father. May he RIP.

As far as you career, that is a decision only you can make. If you don't mind disclosing it, what is the heart condition since you mentioned there are firefighters that have it? You may be able to build a case, perhaps get a second opinion? What did the doctor say?

Even if you can't fulfill your desire to become a firefighter, there are several other ways you can still be involved in emergency services. Maybe dispatcher or EMS?

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK and keep your head up.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Heart

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Many years ago(24) I also failed my medical because the Dr. saw an "irregular EKG" I had a repaird septal defect. It was surgically repaired via open heart surgery in 1968 at 5 years old. Because of this irregularity I was failed and they moved on looking at other applicants.

I questioned the Dr. and pleaded with him to get a second opinion or atleast tell me why I would not make a good firefighter. My initial condition was corrected and my EKG would always appear irregular because of the teflon patch on my heart. I sent him a letter asking him to reconsider or give a better basis for his denial.( I had nothing to lose) I also sent the same letter to all 5 members of our Fire/Police commission asking for a better reason. I said irregular is not nessessarrly bad, it's just different.

I had been cleared by my heart Dr. for any activity including skydiving, football, SCUBA, anything. So I didn't see what was so bad about firefighting.

A month later I was called for my interview in front of the commission, and hired 3 months later. It's always worth a shot to ask questions and push the issue especially if you have nothing to lose.

Thread Information