Forum Member

Default OCFD hiring in 2009?

Anyone heard anything new regarding Oklahoma City FD hiring a new class in spring of 2009? I took the written back in March 2008, and have since received my NREMT-Paramedic (which will give a nice boost the next time I take the written).

I have heard some rumors (like we all have) about a potential academy in spring 2009 but with budget cuts and hiring freezes around the country I was wondering if anyone out there had any new info. Thanks for taking the time to read/post.

Take care!

Forum Member

When we were bidding gear down there not too long ago they said they would be putting on an academy of around 30 soon, don't know when though.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I had heard from a few friends in the last academy (the one that JUST got released) that their instructors had hinted vaguely that there may be a Spring 2009 academy too. If you hear anything else, please post away and I will do the same! Thanks again.

Forum Member

I was part of a group of call backs from the February 08 testing cycle. They put on a CPAT and interviews in December. After the interview I was told they were still considering doing a recruit academy in February 09 and if they were going to they would be calling to schedule polygraphs the next week. I did not hear anything the next week so I assume I did not make the cut or they are not having an academy. However, since then I have heard through the grapevine (no idea how reliable it is) that they are still trying to get one together, it defpends on how many retirees they will have in 09. Thats all I know for now.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads-up. What I heard months ago (from people both in and out of the last academy to be put through), was that there was not going to be one in February as the last one just got finished and it was too fast to do another.

Who knows? But the only whispers I have heard are regarding a Spring/Summer acamedy but again, those whispers were some time ago.

Keep us posted!

MembersZone Subscriber

There is an acdemey starting in about 2 weeks some of the guyes i work with at emsa got hired. There will be another I heard in the fall they are trying to to get as many paramedics as possible trying to get all stations ALS. Also one of the majors told me they are going to try and over staff the all the stations. Iam guessing for when they try and bid the ambulance contract again. I know ocfd is mad that emsa is actully making a profit, When they respond to all the calls emsa does. ocfd is actully losing money going on all the EMS calls when you count man power, gas, and wear on the engines. I know we got handed a 50 page book full of ideas that TFD OCFD and EMSA and some of the DOCs and the new medical Dir came up with to make the EMS system more effective. Some of the ideas were Paramedic fly cars, or first responder fly cars Both great ideas. Also one was patient refusal starting in 2010 were going to be able to deny service to anyone we dont think is in need of an ambulance and has a ride to the hospital. Also another one was not having fire respond to BS calls like toe pain, headache, etc. But for that to work the dispatch will have to get better at triageing the paitents. I dont know how many times I resopnded to priorty 1 SOB calls that are BS and prioty 2 calls that turned out to be full arrest. Another thing that hinted to more of a fire takeover is it talked about getting rid of the system status management which does not work in OKC. I know it talked about putting the ambulance in the fire stations. OKC to is trying to put together a new proposal to take over service in the smaller areas like bethany, war accers, and the village which I think needs to be done. If a fire breaks out in any of those areas they have to almost always be mutal aided by ocfd. Another thing you can still get hired if your not a paramedic out of the last academy there where about 8 who didnt even have there basic which I dont understand. I think you should aleast have your basic. Anyways I hope I answered your questions.

Forum Member

Just got my call for the CPAT this last week! Couldn't believe they finally called. Anyone else in the process right now? If so when is your assigned CPAT date? I heard early Nov, but who knows? That could definitely change by then. Well good luck to everyone and post any news you have please.

MembersZone Subscriber

mine is nov 5

Forum Member

Good luck and God Speed to all who are taking the CPAT tomorrow!

Thread Information