Not sure if these are rumors or not but word is he stepped down due to his son being in the Academy. But there is no mention of it. Is it written somewhere that you can't hire a family member if you are the current Chief. After the big mess he created with the hiring process I'm suprised there hasn't been much talk about him stepping down.

Oakland Fire Chief Farrell to retire
Oakland Tribune, Oct 20, 2008 by Kelly Rayburn
E-mail Print Link OAKLAND -- Fire Chief Daniel Farrell, a 28-year Oakland Fire Department veteran who rose through the ranks before assuming the department's top position, will retire Friday.

Farrell, 59, cited health problems as a factor in his decision to leave.

"I would not change anything," Farrell said. "It's been the highlight of my life. ... It's just time. I feel very confident the department is in a good place. We're constantly making improvements."

Officials at City Hall have been expecting Farrell's retirement for months, though he did not publicly announce a date until Monday. A national search for the next fire chief has started and the city is expected to announce an interim chief soon.

Related Results
Trust, E-innovation and Leadership in Change
Foreign Banks in United States Since World War II: A Useful Fringe
Building Your Brand With Brand Line Extensions
The Impact of the Structure of Debt on Target Gains
Project Management Standard Program In his career, Farrell served two terms as the elected president of the Oakland Black Firefighters Association and was an advisory board member of Local 55 of the International Association of Fire Fighters. He was named interim chief in September 2004 and was appointed to the position permanently Feb. 15, 2005.

Chuck Garcia, president of Oakland's firefighters union, said Farrell was easy to trust.

"He came up through the ranks," Garcia said. "He was very honest. He took a lot of pride in the Oakland Fire Department and in making sure the members were safe and the residents were safe. ... We're going to miss him a lot."

David Chai, chief of staff to Mayor Ron Dellums, said: "Chief Farrell has served the city with great honor and integrity. His services will be thoroughly missed, but we wish him all the best in any of his future endeavors."

Farrell and the department faced allegations of favoritism in late 2007 when officials struggled to deal with the thousands of men and women who filled Frank Ogawa Plaza, hoping to turn in an application for one of 24 vacant fire positions.

Farrell denied "any intentional wrongdoing" and said the department took important steps to improve its application process.

He counted among his top achievements improvements in emergency communications, important capital improvement projects, keeping staffing levels high enough to deliver the best service to Oakland, and saving the city $10 million over a five-year period by managing the budget well.

"This department has performed -- in my estimation -- at the top of our game," he said.

Reach Kelly Rayburn at 510-208-6435 or krayburn@bayareanewsgroup.com.

c2008 ANG Newspapers. Cannot be used or repurposed without prior written permission.
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

12Next