+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default 2 FF Burned as they pull 3 Toddlers from Structure Fire

BETHESDA, Md. (WUSA) - - Sirens could be heard by neighbors as firetrucks pulled up to the brick home in the Westgate community of Bethesda. Firefighters encountered a father in panic who was unable to reach his triplets.

"Pretty terrifying, particularly as the triplets were asleep for naptime on the second floor," said Judith Hackett, a neighbor. "Michael, evidently, tried to get in the house and cut his hand."

The fire at 4806 Jamestown Road started on the deck of Michael and Ami Susan Petruccelli's house. Neighbor Sharon Whitehouse told 9 NEWS NOW that the mother of the three toddlers was out of town on a business trip.

"That's my good friend. I'm so upset. It's so horrible. I don't know what happened," said Whitehouse.

The first firefighter from Engine 711 arrived shortly before 1:30 p.m. They raced into the already burning home.

"We were met in the frontyard by the father who said that his three kids were still inside. We had heavy smoke coming off the back of the house and smoke coming through the front door," said Captain Kimonti Oglesby, one of the rescuers.

The Montgomery County firefighter says he ran back out for a hose line to knock down flames spreading to the stairs and trapping the boys just two and a half years old.

"The rescue squad was on the scene. They went up the steps and initiated the first and second rescues. I continued to knock the fire down. Then I proceeded up the steps and assisted in the rescue of the third kid," said Capt. Oglesby.

By early evening, investigators were still looking for the cause of the fire that caused extensive damage. Officials say the flames initially broke out on the back deck of the home. Acting Chief Richard Bowers was asked whether there were signs of anything suspicious.

"No, to the best of my knowledge, nothing. As I said, it's still under investigation," Chief Bowers responded.

Witnesses say the father, Michael Petrucelli, suffered cuts and other injuries trying to reach his sons. Two firefighters also had to be treated for burns.

Two of the toddlers were transported in serious condition and the third had more critical injuries. Neighbors and firefighters expressed hope that the boys would make it.

"Who cares about the house. The fact that the family is intact and they're all here, is just the most wonderful news," said Whitehouse.

"It always means a lot when we can help save kids. I mean that's just what we do," said Capt. Oglesby.

Written by 9NEWS NOW

--------------------------

E711(Glen Echo) and RS 741 (Bethesda-Chevy Chase) arrived on scene to find a 2 story colonial with smoke showing. Father was out front said that 3 toddlers were inside. E711 stretched a line to the rear of the house where the fire was and RS741 made entry and effected 2 rescues from the 2nd floor with high heat and ceiling to floor smoke conditions. One of the responding engines then made the 3rd grab. 2 BCCRS FFs were transported to the hospital with burns and I believe at least one has been sent home.

Great job guys!

P.S- Link to another FF forum where this is being discussed.... http://thewatchdesk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=525007
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

In Bossier Parrish, La. the FF's probably would be brought up on Departmental Charges for "Acting out of Procedure" (for making entry into an IDLH environment) and "Conduct Unbecoming" for the Acting out of Procedure.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    In Bossier Parrish, La. the FF's probably would be brought up on Departmental Charges for "Acting out of Procedure" (for making entry into an IDLH environment) and "Conduct Unbecoming" for the Acting out of Procedure.
    that is a truly assinine statement. suck off.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    that is a truly assinine statement. suck off.
    Meh....It may not have been called for, but its probably factually accurate.

Nice job to the guys in maryland. Hopefully the victims and the FFs make a quick recovery.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Meh....It may not have been called for, but its probably factually accurate.

Nice job to the guys in maryland. Hopefully the victims and the FFs make a quick recovery.
    Second!!!!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

The brothers in Bethesda did a great job, regardless of what other department may or may not do. This why we do this job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hey knucklehead, wrong thread!!!!

Congratulations on a great save. Triplets at Christmas time, you don't suppose they are the three wise men?

Forum Member

Crazy, but I almost bought the house three doors down from there two years ago.

Great save by the guys!

I will say, if my wife came home and found out that I had not tried to save the kids myself from our burning home, no matter what the fire conditions, she would have killed me herself.

Glad that it sounds like the kids will all be OK too!

And it was a bunch of urban volunteers who made the save!
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 12-04-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Saving three children from a fire is "acting out of procedure"? Im no FF but isnt there this thing called risk a life to save a life? Although if they were in a IDLH environment some might say it wasnt worth the risk. I think it was worth it but then again im not a FF what do i know?

Anyway great job and i hope everyone recovers from there injuries.
    IACOJ member.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireBuffMI View Post
    Saving three children from a fire is "acting out of procedure"? Im no FF but isnt there this thing called risk a life to save a life? Although if they were in a IDLH environment some might say it wasnt worth the risk. I think it was worth it but then again im not a FF what do i know?

I think FWDBuff is referring to another poster, and how things are done down there...I think he shares in the sentiment that this was a job well done.

Forum Member

I think FWDBuff is referring to another poster
    If so my apologes. No harm ment.

EDIT: Ahh, i get it now...
    Last edited by FireBuffMI; 12-05-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    IACOJ member.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    I think FWDBuff is referring to another poster, and how things are done down there...I think he shares in the sentiment that this was a job well done.
    Oh it was absolutely directed elsewhere. It is totally out of place. I guess some people are so insecure they feel the need to belittle others every chance they get.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't do SOMETHING.

Excellent grab guys!!!!!.....this time you win!!

As to the nay sayers.........hell with them....you saved 3 lives, bottom line.
    Last edited by Dickey; 12-05-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

good job guys

"thank heaven for 711"
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Hmmmmmmm ......

Last I knew personal attacks were not permitted, but that's cool.

However in the future, please direct your comments to me, not my department or every department in Bossier Parish. There are 9 of them outside of the city.

Your comment truly shows how little you understand about me or my department. Your comment also shows how little you seem to respect other departments that you consider not aggressive enough (whatever that means) .... not withstanding if that judgement you have made about them is actually accurate or not.

That applies to everyone else who seems to like to throw stones.

Can't say if I would have made entry or not. All depends on if my judgement the crew could have made the rescue without getting killed or hurt. Sure would have done it with a hoseline, but that's our department's SOP. It may not be MCs.

Can't speak for anyone else on my department that would have been in a position to make a call like that.

Lot's of factors to consider ..... well beyond the fact that people are trapped.

Good job .. they did what they felt they had to do in that situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

That applies to everyone else who seems to like to throw stones.

Wow you have some set of BALLS, your one of the biggest arm chair quarterbacks on these forums. I've always been told there are two kinds of firefighters. Those who talk about doing the job and those who actually do the job. I think we know which one you are!

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by LVFRENG1 View Post
    your one of the biggest arm chair quarterbacks on these forums. ... I think we know which one you are!

Brother, some of the truest words spoken. Do yourself a favor, reduce your stress just a bit; make use of the ignore feature, it helps, greatly!

Now all we have to do is get people to stop quoting them in their replies, those don't get blocked.

Good job on the grabs. Anytime there are people alive who would have been dead from fire, it is a great story, and what this job is all about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Brother, some of the truest words spoken. Do yourself a favor, reduce your stress just a bit; make use of the ignore feature, it helps, greatly!

Now all we have to do is get people to stop quoting them in their replies, those don't get blocked.

Good job on the grabs. Anytime there are people alive who would have been dead from fire, it is a great story, and what this job is all about.
    Im gonna quote every single one of his posts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can we get back to the original reason for this thread.

Good job guy's and Hope them and the kids get better soon.

Forum Member

A "tip of the Leather" to the Brothers in Maryland...

PS: Third!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-05-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

Im gonna quote every single one of his posts.

There's no way you could do that!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    There's no way you could do that!
    Youre right, Im way too lazy. Damn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireBuffMI View Post

The two fire fighters were released the same day for minor burns(second and first to face, shoulders, neck, and ears).

The tripplets are all in good shape(considering)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0501082&s_pos=

for more info.

it was scary to listen to when they started yelling for hose line protection. thankfully everybody went home.
    Last edited by somebody509; 12-05-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't heard cry babies like this since kindergarten! :-D

On the note of why this thread was actually started, that's an awesome save. We should all thank God for this.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    The two fire fighters were released the same day for minor burns(second and first to face, shoulders, neck, and ears).

The tripplets are all in good shape(considering)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0501082&s_pos=

for more info.

it was scary to listen to when they started yelling for hose line protection. thankfully everybody went home.
    Per a friend in MoCo , two kids are in pretty good shape and the third is in rough shape.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information