Thread: Never Forget

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Never Forget

Political rallies may eclipse anniversary

By Meagan FitzpatrickDecember 6, 2008 4:00 AM

OTTAWA -- With the country's attention drawn to the drama on Parliament Hill this past week, Canadians may not realize that today is the anniversary of another pivotal event in the country's history: the Montreal Massacre.

On Dec. 6, 1989, gunman Marc Lepine went on a shooting rampage at l'Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal. He separated the men from the women and, claiming that feminists had ruined his life, he shot and killed 14 women.

The shocking event galvanized the nation and put a focus on violence against women. It led to the establishment of Dec. 6 as Canada's National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women and inspired numerous initiatives, including the White Ribbon Campaign.

A group of men started the campaign in 1991 to urge men to talk about and take action to end violence against women. Since then, the idea of wearing a white ribbon as a symbolic pledge to never commit, condone or remain silent about men's violence against women has spread to 55 countries.

Despite its success, the White Ribbon organization is worried that Canadians are losing their interest in the cause.

Today, events across the country will mark the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre. Rallies are also planned in relation to the recent political turn of events, the proposed coalition between the federal Liberals and NDP to unseat the Conservative government. The White Ribbon campaign is concerned the competing rallies may distract from what is supposed to be a national day of remembrance.

"It's coincidental that it's all happening at the same time, but I do think it speaks to a bigger issue that, really, the significance of the (Dec.6) event is fading in people's minds," said Todd Minerson, director of the White Ribbon Campaign.

Furthermore, society is still not tackling the issue of men's violence against women in an open and honest way, and not enough men are involved in ending it, he said.

Some men think that because they don't commit violence against women, they have nothing to say about it -- but all men have a role to play, Minerson added.

Author and consultant Michael Kaufman, one of the original founders of the White Ribbon campaign who travels the globe lecturing on gender issues, said that for violence against women to end, it's critical that men speak out and challenge other men about it.

"Yes, it's important that men and boys hear the voices of women, but boys look to other boys, men look to other men to define their manhood, and so it's so critical that they're hearing the voices of men and boys that they admire speaking out against the violence," said Kaufman.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    http://www.timescolonist.com/Rallies...552/story.html
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Actually, I think I have to agree. I am going to be a part of the Base Duty Staff tomorrow (7 Dec) and during our briefing yesterday, we were instructed to put all base flags at 1/2 mast today (0600 6 Dec) and that they would remain that way till 1800.

I was caught off guard because there are usually message advisories posted a few days before, but we had not seen anything in the message traffic, even as late as 1400hrs Friday.

I admit I had actually forgotten all about this date, but my forgetfulness was more due to thinking about something considerably more significant, and historical....... {for a military history buff, and active service soldier anyhow}

My thoughts have been directed to thinking about a lot of folks whom I have never met and will never meet. Men and women who are no longer living on this Earth, and have not since the morning of, or the days and weeks after, due to significant injury.

I am referring to those who lived and were posted to the Islands of Hawaii, and in particular the lads who were working for and in the US Pacific Fleet, 0800hrs 7 December, 1941. Their service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Heard on the news earlier today, we lost 3 of our Lads to another IED. This brings the total to 100.

I know in the larger scheme of things that is not nearly the number that many of our other Comrades in Arms have faced; the loss of even 1 is 100, or 2000 or a million too many.

My only wish is that I hope their sacrifice has not been in vain.

Thread Information