Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us Apparatus

Forum Member

Smile Us Apparatus

Hi, I M Over In England, Am Very Intersted In Us Apparatus.

Would Welcome Any Comments On Sutphen, Smeal And Ws Darley Apparatus, What Do Readers Think Of There Products?

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking for an aerial or a pumper? Sutphen makes a rock solid aerial platform. They have many options, ranging from 70' all the way to 110'.

Forum Member

Darley is the only apparatus manufacturer that builds their own pumps. Because of this, they are the only company that offers a lifetime pump parts warranty with their apparatus. They don't have too many rigs in my area, but have a good reputation.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Oh Boy, here we go with bad information again. Markyc, Rosenbauer also makes their own pumps including some that work really well with salt-water.

In 1974 a group of British Firefighters from Winchester knocked us out of the Guiness Book of World Records. We were then exposed to your butt ugly trucks with roll-up doors and everybody sitting inside and the really crazy thing of all of the trucks in the county having the same tools in the same compartments, now how dumb is that!
    Another really senseless tool was the BA Board, which I know you guys were using since at least 1974 and made really no sense until we renamed it Accountability Board 20 years later. Just kidding mate!

How about getting on the "crosslays" thread and explaining throwing those rolled hoses. I could never get over how fast they could put those rolled lines in service as well as those 48' ladders they carried on the pumps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    Oh Boy, here we go with bad information again. Markyc, Rosenbauer also makes their own pumps including some that work really well with salt-water.
    I based my answer on Markyc's question regarding US manufacturers Smeal, Sutphen and Darley. So to satisfy your concern, I will reword it.

Darley is the only apparatus manufacturer that builds their own pumps whose owners, operators, headquarters and facilities are entirely located in the United States of America.

Danke schŲn!
    Last edited by firepiper1; 12-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Default Sutphen

We have only Sutphens where I work. The biggest problem is the commercial chassis. I would not buy a commercial chassis. The Sutphen has a good track record of working with the customer after the sale, even many years after the truck was delivered they have bent over backwards for the customer. I even sell another brand. The advantage around here is one Sutphen plant is less than 2 hours away.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

You know, if you go down through the many threads and pages in this section it's all been disscused.

Say Baron,time to get out of the schnitzel and get reacclimated.Some of that stuff ain't gonna catch on for another twenty.Rolled hose indeed!Just like the often copied seldom duplicated Metz.Oh, by the way,Newry's made it to South Paris but didn't get used. T.c.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking E-one or No-one

In our town it's E-one or No-one! Really, it's like city ordinance or something. I can't imagine why.........
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker416 View Post
    In our town it's E-one or No-one! Really, it's like city ordinance or something. I can't imagine why.........
    Just like the Columbus FD is all Sutphen and I imagine that the Appleton FD is all Pierce. Although, I did hear that Summerville, South Carolina didnt purchase ALF the last time around. Maybe that's why Patriarch picked up and left!

Columbus is now buying from Ferrara. A real smack in the face to Sutphen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default $$$$$$$

I am guessing that in Columbus that the reason they are buying Ferrara has to do with a tight budget, and some bean counter in a little broom closet of an office.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    I am guessing that in Columbus that the reason they are buying Ferrara has to do with a tight budget, and some bean counter in a little broom closet of an office.
    Actually, there have been a few stories floating around recently about departments not purchasing from manufacturers who are offering lower bid prices. Here is the latest one, dated December 13th.

Fire Apparatus Bid "Favoritism" Could Cost Chief

A fire chief in Stratford, Connecticut is facing possible termination over allegations he steered the department to a local dealer instead of going by the bidder that allegedly had a less expensive truck with the same qualifications.

Now that budgets are tightening up city and town officials, as well as watchdog groups, are looking at how bid processes were handled in departments across the country.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 12-15-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    Looking at the chassis' they were definately not cheap trucks. Spartan Gladiators' with Independent chassis' with Cat engines and a stainless steel body.

Forum Member

Smile Sutphen, Smeal, Darley

Hi Guys, Thanks For Your Replies, Always Interested To Hear More About Manufacturers And What People Say About Design, Quality Etc.

Forum Member

Smile Us Apparatus

Hi, Thanks For Your Comments About Us Apparatus, Sutphen Is 1 Of My Favourite Makes, Understand They Are Doing Well With Sales Of Apparatus.

Would Be Nice To See A Few More Darley Apparatus.

Forum Member

Smile us fire apparatus

Quote Originally Posted by markyc View Post
    Hi, I M Over In England, Am Very Intersted In Us Apparatus.

Would Welcome Any Comments On Sutphen, Smeal And Ws Darley Apparatus, What Do Readers Think Of There Products?
    hi guys thanks for your comments, does anyone know if w s darley have built on the new spartan furion chassis yet?

sutphen towers look preety good.

Forum Member

Smile red baron l32

HI, MEANT REPLYING TO YOU AGES AGO, MY EMAIL IS marky05matlk@yahoo.co.uk IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL ME, WILL EXPLAIN ALL THINGS ENGLISH RE ROLLED UP HOSE ETC.

BEST WISHES, MARK.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Markyc,
    In this age of refrigeration, do Englishmen still drink warm beer? And if so, for gods sake, WHY?

MembersZone Subscriber

markyc,

We have utilized Darley fire pumps for numerous years on all of our apparatus. The last two pieces that we purchased where custom built by New Lexington Fire Apparatus both with Darley fire pumps.
    http://www.bruinvfd.com/apparatus.htm

We have just placed an order with W.S. Darley to build our new CAFS equipped fire engine. It will be on a Spartan MetroStar chassis, with a Darley 1500 gpm single stage pump equipped with AutoCAFS. The pumper body is Darley's polybody.
    http://www.bruinvfd.com/news.htm

Thread Information