Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Conditional Job Offer?

I received a conditional job offer for a Fire/EMS department and successfully completed all the conditions (physical, psychological, physical ability, and background). The day I was supposed to go in for my paperwork and gear fitting the Asst. Chief called and told me they had been mandated a hiring freeze by the city manager and that I shouldn't come in for the paperwork etc.

My question is, wasn't I already hired via the conditional job offer and successful completion of the pre hire steps?

Thanks for any insight.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might call the human resources department and verify what's going on, assuming they are the ones that offered you the job.

A conditional job offer does not guarantee your employment. It is only to let you know they intend on hiring you.

Hiring freezes at this time are not uncommon. I know it must be disappointing but if you got this far you could do it again. Keep your head up, and keep testing.

Just remember that your job is never a sure thing until after probation is complete. Even then, Fireman have been known to get laid off if the city is in bad enough shape.

Forum Member

I had a friend who made it through the pre-hiring hoops and hurdles and given a conditional job offer with on of the main sticking points being "reachable on a list of eligibles and selected for appointment". He didn't get picked for the class they just put in, but is still up for the next class. It really is a conditional offer and you need to see all the conditions that need to be met.

Hopefully for you, it may be cheaper to keep you guys on hold and hire you later, instead of just dismissing you guys and starting from scratch when they want to hire again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default An update

After posting my message earlier I recieved a call from the Assistant Chief again and he said he found out that since the conditions had been met the offer was counted as a hire and therefor was not subject to the hiring freeze, so I got the position after all.

Thanks for the replies.

You know what to do, get back on that horse and test again.

I have been going through same type of thing where the fire chief and city mayor have told me that i am guaranteed a job at the central station here. But then i went down to talk to the chief he said they could not hire anyone do to the economy. He told me i would be fulltime within a year and it has been almost 2 years now. Any advice

Congratulations on getting over that extra hurdle and heart attack.

As I've seen before, the conditional offer is contingent on passing the last few steps of the process (i.e.; medical, background and psych to name some of the usual).
    Upon passing those, an unconditional offer is usually made.

Not to burst your current bubble, but you will still probably be on the chopping block if reductions are on the horizon. The economy just isn't stable yet.

Congratulations and Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Not to burst your current bubble, but you will still probably be on the chopping block if reductions are on the horizon. The economy just isn't stable yet.

Congratulations and Good luck!

last hired, first fired, but usually re-hired before new hires

Don't believe anything until your sign all the papers and you are sworn in and begin the training process. PLUS get the first pay check!!!

Maybe that caller wasn't a member of the department but someone who knows you and had some one call you and play you like a cheap AM radio!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Congrats on getting the job!!

Just means you are first on the chopping block for any cuts but hopefully that won't happen.

Good luck!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information