Forum Member

Default Cairns liner and earlap replacement

I just picked up a well used 88 N5A and it needs a new liner and earlaps, has anyone ever done this and have and pointers ?

I would appreciate any help thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry, this is kind of a long post

Try this guy...........I haven't used him, but I got his info from a reputable person. Plus he is a brother from Montgomery County FD, MD

http://www.smokeshowing.net/

Smoke Showing Leather Fire Helmet Repair & Refurbs
    Prices are for Cairns N5A and N6As leather helmets only. Please contact for other brands.

Standard Front Holder & Installation - Replacement of old front holder. $28.00
    Misc.- Deluxe Carved Eagle front holder in place of standard front holders Add+ $25.00

Misc.- Deluxe Carved Beaver front holder in place of standard front holders Add+ $25.00

Bourkes & Installation - Installation of new bourke eye shields. $55.00

Remove, clean, disinfect and reinstall liner (FYI-all stains may not be removed) $32.00

Stainless Steel Helmet Hanger With "D" Ring- remove old hanger and install new $12.00

Nomex Chinstrap With Quick Release Buckle & Postman's Slide Fastener -Install new $40.00

Milwaukee Nomex Chin strap- install new $22.00

Remove and install a new ratchet. (if mounts are broke inside, additional charge) $20.50

New leather ratchet comfort pad $22.00

Yellow Nomex Liner Installation - We remove the old liner and fit & install a new liner $90.00

Jumbo PBI Liner Installation - We remove the old liner and fit & install a new liner $110.00

Standard Repaint - The helmet is stripped and sanded with a non- chemical abrasive, primed with factory recommended primer (2 coats) and then given 3 coats of factory recommended paints. We clean up all brass (liner ring, front holder, crown) and apply new Reflexlite Tetrahedrons or Scotchlite Squares.
    (Does not include a new liner) $95.00

Standard Repaint with Brass - The same as the Standard Repaint however we replace the brass crown piece and front holder. You have a choice between silk screened eagle design or traditional
    Cairns Maltesse cross front holder. (Does not include a new liner) $120.00

Standard repaint + new, yellow Nomex Liner (No Brass replacement) $180.00

Standard repaint + new Jumbo PBI Liner. (No Brass replacement) $195.00
    Refurbishment option 1 - includes standard repaint with brass, and new, yellow Nomex Liner. $205.00

Refurbishment option 2 includes standard repaint with brass and new, Jumbo PBI Liner. $230.00

For any other work not mentioned or custom work, please contact us at
    Smokeshowing1@comcast.net

These prices do not include any repair work. If leather removal and replacement is needed, Smoke Showing leather helmet repair and refurbs will estimate a cost after all paint and/or previous repair is removed. Hourly cost is $20.00 per hour.
    The pricing above is to be paid via Cash, money order or check. Paypal payment is accepted, but an additional 3% is to be added to the above prices. This is due to Paypal considering this a medium sized business and my fees are higher then a standard customer.
    A 15% non refundable deposit (on total) is required on all refurbs prior to starting the repair work.
    Repair and refurbishments currently are taking 4-6 weeks.
    Customer is responsible for shipping costs to and from Smoke Showing. A standard helmet weight is approx. 7.8 lbs. Shipping zip is 17046.
    Pennsylvania residents required to pay 6% PA sales tax.

Shipping address is:
    Bob Snavely
    dba- Smoke Showing
    2729 Cedar Run Road
    Lebanon PA 17046-1404
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Dang, that is pretty pricy, especially considering everything is pretty darn easy to do.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    I just picked up a well used 88 N5A and it needs a new liner and earlaps, has anyone ever done this and have and pointers ?

I would appreciate any help thanks
    Leatherhed,

Use a slotted screwdriver and pry the brass ring up all the way around the helmet just enough to loosen its grip on the helmet liner assembly. Work your way around the helmet about every 1/4" to 1/2" inch and slightly pry up the brass ring.

Once that is done, the entire liner and earflap assempbly will pull out. Replace with a new one, line it up left to right so its centered in the helmet, and tap the brass ring back down to secure it with the butt end of the screwdriver or a small hammer or mallet.

Job done. It will take less than 5 minutes and all you have to have is a large slotted screwdriver.

I just got one from 1963 that is in AMAZING shape. I don't thinkit was ever used. At least not in any harsh environment.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Leatherhed,

Use a slotted screwdriver and pry the brass ring up all the way around the helmet just enough to loosen its grip on the helmet liner assembly. Work your way around the helmet about every 1/4" to 1/2" inch and slightly pry up the brass ring.

Once that is done, the entire liner and earflap assempbly will pull out. Replace with a new one, line it up left to right so its centered in the helmet, and tap the brass ring back down to secure it with the butt end of the screwdriver or a small hammer or mallet.

Job done. It will take less than 5 minutes and all you have to have is a large slotted screwdriver.

I just got one from 1963 that is in AMAZING shape. I don't thinkit was ever used. At least not in any harsh environment.
    awesome!

thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Try this guy...........I haven't used him, but I got his info from a reputable person. Plus he is a brother from Montgomery County FD, MD
    i may look into this for future, more extensive repairs. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Done a couple, it's not that hard. You just gently lift the brass lip along the edge of the ear flap (I used a flat head screwdriver) and remove the old ear flaps (they might be a little crusty and take a little effort to get out). Try fitting the new set into the groove. If it doesn't fit (most likely won't as they only make one size replacement) cut the stainless ring that is inside the new set (there should be a small hole to access it and it fits into a small flat spring to give it tension once it's in the groove, I used side cutters) to size and insert into the groove where the old one was. Bend the brass back down. Job done.

Let me know how it works out.

Larry

Default N5A repairs

I have an N5A of the same vintage [late 80s] and I'd also like to replace the earflaps. Can you buy the replacement earflaps from MSA/Cairns or The Firestore? Do you need to replace the whole liner assembly? Are the earflaps specific to the N5A or a generic part that also fits the 1010/1044 etc.?

Also, my helmet has an older style chinstrap w/o the quick release buckle. I purchased a new one from the Firestore but it was too short, or so it seems and I couldn't figure out how to replace one side of the old strap - the one opposite the end w/ the snaps. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

If you do it make sure you try on the liner first so you can shorten up the ear flaps. The factory ones hang around your neck and make it very difficult to tuck them up in the suspension.

Forum Member

thanks all!

maybe ill take pics and do a step by step for the future

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Leatherhed,

OR use a Halligan!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how to replace a ratchet assembly in a Cairns N5A New Yorker helmet. The black clips broke off and the ratchet is no longer attatched to one side of the brass ring inside the helmet. You would think this would be a simple fix but it appears that you have to remove the brass ring. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    Does anyone know how to replace a ratchet assembly in a Cairns N5A New Yorker helmet. The black clips broke off and the ratchet is no longer attatched to one side of the brass ring inside the helmet. You would think this would be a simple fix but it appears that you have to remove the brass ring. Any ideas?
    just snap the other clips out and remove the ratchet... then throw the ratchet away

was it the plastic rivets that came out? or the actual ratchet frame that broke?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ha, yeah I know....I know alot of guys who remove the ratchet but I use it. My helmet doesn't fit all that well without it. The black tabs broke off. I can't believe that it is installed in such a cheap manner with plastic tabs and its great that they make it so you can't really fix it on your own.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    If you do it make sure you try on the liner first so you can shorten up the ear flaps. The factory ones hang around your neck and make it very difficult to tuck them up in the suspension.

When you get a brand new n6a are you able to loosen the brass ring and pull more of the liner into the upper part of the helmet so that they are not so long like you mentioned?

Forum Member

Question

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Forum Member

yes you should be able to

Forum Member

I'm having a problem getting the last 3/4 - inch to go into the brass groove. Anyone have a hint on how to get it in? The new liner has so much tension on it that it flips up or down when trying to get the last inch in.

Forum Member

You have to resize your new liner. The metal ring that goes under the brass ring has a flat retainer that connects the two ends of the liner ring. You have to pry that open, trim the liner ring, insert it back into the retainer, close the retainer, THEN insert the liner ring into the brass ring.

Forum Member

Footrat, Do you have to cut the liner to get to that connection? By the feel of mine, it seems to be open on both ends and the wire runs throw it, It's not clamped down or being held by anything.

Thread Information