Forum Member

Thumbs down FORD Motor Problem

Did anyone have problems with FORD F-550 Turbo Deisel engines, We are on our 3rd Turbo that keeps blowing. If anyone else has had the same issue please reply back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by avfdchief40 View Post
    Did anyone have problems with FORD F-550 Turbo Deisel engines, We are on our 3rd Turbo that keeps blowing. If anyone else has had the same issue please reply back.
    Chief we've had tons of issues with our Ford motors, can you tell us what motor? 6.4, 7.3? I'll check with out maintenance guys. A few have had turbo issues as I recall, but their all on F-350 or F-450 ambulances so my contact with them is fairly limited.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had fuel injector issues on our 6 liter diesels. I have heard of turbo issues as well.

Forum Member

Get to a Ford tech that can run the upgrades. There have been some Turbo issues.Last I checked,I believe Ford has released an upgraded Turbo along with a software revision to go with it.Three turbos is HIGHLY unusual and there are probably other factors. T.C.

Forum Member

We have several of these F-550's with numerous problems (non-emergency vehicles). It's either the turbo(x4), injectors, injector pumps, oil pressure too low, or the trans overheating. One even threw a rod out the oil pan.

As of now, we have 8 of them at the dealership getting the work done under warranty. As to what the problem is, and as to how they are going to reduce/correct the problems, they are playing the silence game. Other than, "We will take care of it."

That scares me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by avfdchief40 View Post
    we blew 2 turbos in a matter of a month when we first took delivery of our F-450. they replaced the original turbo with another OEM turbo, and it blew in a matter of weeks. they told us that it was a problem they were starting to see in alot of trucks, and they replaced it again with a different type of turbo. no problems since then.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Forum Member

The Ford 6.0 was/is a dog of an engine. There are several known issues that have been happening all over the country. Our local ambo company had about 10 of these Fords with the 6.0 and never could keep them on the road. They finally remounted the boxes and scrapped the trucks. Most being only 4-5 yrs old.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Forum Member

Default more to add to the list

2005 6.0 (or as we call it 'six point oh no') turbo and EGR cooler, both on emergency runs. There is a diesel forum website www.thedieselstop.com start reading about the six point oh no.

Forum Member

The 6.0's are hit or miss. They are either problem free or problem infested. We're running an '07 F-350 crew cab 6.0 to haul haz mat trailers and forest rescue vehicles and we haven't had a problem. My work truck is a 2007 F-550 6.0 dump truck and we had a slight problem with the fuel pump, but it ended up being a torn gasket or something, but other than that, I can haul ANYTHING I hook up to that truck. We've gotten some funny looks when people see an F-550 towing a paver.

Every truck has their problems. Ford is the turbos, Chevy is the head gasket and Dodge is the fire problem. They're all good trucks until they stop working right, then they're all pieces of crap.

Forum Member

My department service / response rig is an 07 F550 with a 6.0h 0. I haven't had too many issues with. The EGR cooler clogged and the wastegate stuck about a month after it went into service. The truck has absolutely no power and pitiful mileage. I'm down to 7 - 8 mpg now. The best was 10. It carries an 11 foot enclosed service body and weighs out about 14000 gross. I think it should pull better but the local dealer says there's nothing wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCN5 View Post
    Every truck has their problems. Ford is the turbos, Chevy is the head gasket and Dodge is the fire problem. They're all good trucks until they stop working right, then they're all pieces of crap.

I've been selling the Duramax since the day it came out and never heard of a head gasket problem. I searched the internet and the only problem like that was for the old diesels, not the Duramax.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    I've been selling the Duramax since the day it came out and never heard of a head gasket problem. I searched the internet and the only problem like that was for the old diesels, not the Duramax.
    I said "truck" not "diesel" The Vortec engine's that Chevy use are notorious for head gaskets and 02 sensors. I've done the head gaskets once, the 02 sensors twice on my Chevy and it only has 53,000 miles. Next time, I'm buying a Ford.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCN5 View Post
    I said "truck" not "diesel" The Vortec engine's that Chevy use are notorious for head gaskets and 02 sensors. I've done the head gaskets once, the 02 sensors twice on my Chevy and it only has 53,000 miles. Next time, I'm buying a Ford.

Sorry, thought this was a thread on Ford motor problems, not trucks.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    Sorry, thought this was a thread on Ford motor problems, not trucks.

It is a thread about Ford motor problems and the original poster started in about diesel. Hate to tell all parties concerned that the Powerstroke is not now at 6.4L or in its earlier encarnation at 7.3L a FORD engine. It is manufactured by International Harvester. It would have been quite humorous for this thread to be called FarmAll motor problem.

All things being equal. And trust me they are equal since each and every truck, engine, transmission, and every other part have their own gremlins and those gremlins are proprietary items that tend to stay with their respected manufacturer
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

as long as. motors from what i learned in tech school are electric. engines are an internal combustion design. stay safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by westofd1 View Post
    as long as. motors from what i learned in tech school are electric. engines are an internal combustion design. stay safe
    Never mind.
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 01-03-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Forum Member

We have nightmares with our 2 trucks that have the 6.0. Were a career ambulance service that puts heavy milage on our rigs due to 8000 + calls a year and a min. distance of 18 miles to the nearest hospital, not to mention covering a 40 square mile town and covering 3 NJ counties primary. We have 2 trucks that have the 6.0 the one is currently out for another blown motor, yes i say another, its been through a re chassie, 4 other motors, and numerous turbo problems. Now i dont know if everyone has this problem but everytime you first run the truck it has to warm up for 10 mins before you are able to go over 25 MPH, this poses a huge problem in the emergency service world cause when you get a 911 call you cant tell the person wait 10 mins to have ur heart attack we have to warm up the truck. We currently have 11 ambulances in our fleet all get run equal on the last 5 we changed to the GMC 4500. Were very pleased with the drive train the only issues weve had on the oldest one which is a late 2005 have been air bag and rear dump issues for lowering the box for loading the patient.

Forum Member

I'm glad to see we are not the only ones have problems with the 6.0. We don't put as many miles on, but when you have to tell your patient "your ambulance broke down, it's going to be 20 minutes for the next one" it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the six point oh no.

Forum Member

haha glad to see that were not the only ones who have to pull over on the highway and wait for the next rig to take our patient then get the rig on a flat bed

Thread Information