Forum Member

Default Crews don't wake up!

An issue has been encountered with crews not waking up. They don't hear the in place alerting system.

Current system consists of a set of tones that increases the volume and is followed by a warble. There is only 1 speaker in the bunk room that sleeps 8.

Any ideas on how to resolve this growing problem other than terminating those that don't wake up?

Forum Member

More speakers?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Also looking for more to see what other orgs have done that have experienced the same issue, along with what systems are out there.

Forum Member

Do the tones activate the house lights?

I think you need more speakers and greater amplification in the bunk room.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No house light activation, just tones with warble that wakes up entire department for every call. 3 Stations

Forum Member

Default Zzzzzzzzz

I've heard of Departments removing the beds and putting the crews on 8 hr shifts and NO!! sleeping. The problem is that it's tough on the neighborhood when your out at 2:00 a.m. testing your hoses or drilling with the hurst.
    I'm with the rest when they say "Connect your tones with the lights and more BIGGER speakers.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Some kind of house alarm is needed. In my previous full time department we had a house alarm that was manualy activated by the dispatcher. Few seconds pause in between that and the tones made sure we didnt miss anything. It was impossible to sleep through the house alarm. Comparible to a basketball court buzzer, in the bunkroom. The house lights were also connected to the system.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdenney View Post
    Any ideas on how to resolve this growing problem other than terminating those that don't wake up?
    Wire up the beds for electrical shocks with the dispatch?

Forum Member

We use the Zetron system. It allows up to 6 different tones. Station one, station two, all call, etc. We have guys that have slept through tones, but it seems better since there are multiple tones. This way, they don't seem to get so used to just one tone.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking lol

Thats when the buddy system comes in handy lol
    we get a call u wake my *** up if im not up
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

Forum Member

seems like 1 of 8 should be waking up and then they can wake up the rest.

Either that or go back to having someone pull watch and the watch desk overnight.

Forum Member

Wink

An issue has been encountered with crews not waking up. They don't hear the in place alerting system.

Current system consists of a set of tones that increases the volume and is followed by a warble. There is only 1 speaker in the bunk room that sleeps 8.

Remove the beds??

Forum Member

No house light activation, just tones with warble that wakes up entire department for every call. 3 Stations
    wow, that's horrible. I couldn't imagine that, though I assume the call volume is rather low. even still, one of my big things about working for the FD (as opposed to the system status ems I was in at first) was having tones and lights come on so you didn't have to listen to the radio all day. but if every station gets toned out for every call, it's no wonder people are missing and sleeping through calls. I'm sure money is an issue, and I'm not real sure what to tell you, but pagers going off for only the station/unit that needs to respond would help, as well, of course, getting a real alert system tied into the lights which alerts only the station that needs to respond. my dept uses Locution (actually no one has told me that but we have the cadvoice exactly like the sample at www.locution.com) and my last dept used a zetron system.

Forum Member

Second the house alarm idea. We use a yelp siren for our house alarm. Each station has 2 tones set off by dispatch followed by the message. The second tone kicks off the siren, about 3 seconds in length. During the day we monitor all stations, at night we change to alert and the second tone opens the speakers AND kicks off the siren. Speakers in the bunkroom, etc. If you DO sleep through it your bed will get a kick.

Forum Member

I can't believe that all 8 sleep right through it. Switch to someone taking the watch at night.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

My uncle is deaf, and his alarm clock is hooked to a vibrating pad under his sheets. Hook those up, it feels like a hammer drill.

Forum Member

Default car alarm

If possible, I would see about assigning different tones for each of the stations. Being creatures of habit it does not take long to unintentionally sleep through the tones when 66% of the time it is for one of the other stations anyway. If your dispatching agency is up to date enough, they should have the technology to give an apparatus or station assignment according to the type and size of incident. That would allow them to select only the assigned station.

My previous department had a car alarm placed in the ceiling tiles right above our heads. The lights came on with the alarm when our station received an assignment. Scared the sh** out of us every time.

Default Not Waking up for Calls

My Dept has a Pager tied in too the loud speaker so that when the Tones Drop the Pager Trips and it comes over the Loud Speaker But the idea someone had about tieing the lights in to the alarm system is not a bad idea either

Forum Member

Why not kick their bed?
    As for termination? What are you? a jerk?
    Seriously, w ehave a few guys that WONT get up unless you make them.
    Not really a big deal, you just kick their bed ,go pee and then go on the run.

Forum Member

Default ?????

Alecshawn 1- I thought you said" I'm gone" I'm sorry" etc. etc.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Alecshawn 1- I thought you said" I'm gone" I'm sorry" etc. etc.
    He lied...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    He lied...
    No!! Say it ain't so.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I'd say it's about time to add an amp and speakers than have lights installed that come on when tones go off.. With ours the tones alone tied in with the amp and 12 speaker's system 8 inside and 4 outside will blow you out of the bed then add lights than cycle on and off for 10 seconds...

No sleeping here...

Forum Member

I am still trying to get over some one sleeping through a tone out, i have a hard time getting an alarm clock to wake me up but I have NEVER slept through a tone out..and I doubt I ever will.......i am sure I will get yelled at for what I am about to say.....but oh well here goes.

my feelings at you are there TO HEAR THE TONE OUT it should be engraved in your brain and be automatic. I mean come on it is your job, how many times could you oversleep for a normal job and retain it?

food for thought

Forum Member

You definitely need to hook up some kind of noise maker and have the lights turn on. Shouldn't be difficult and you paging equipment probably already supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by alecshawn1 View Post
    Why not kick their bed?
    As for termination? What are you? a jerk?
    Seriously, w ehave a few guys that WONT get up unless you make them.
    Not really a big deal, you just kick their bed ,go pee and then go on the run.
    Maybe someone should kick you in the head? It would be the most productive thing yet.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information