Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Prince George's County, Maryland Fire/EMS

I know most of you have heard of this county before, but I am going to throw this on here to "refresh" everyone's memory about this department.

Most of the Volunteer Fire Department's in PG offer a FREE room and board scenario for college students in exchange for getting experience running anywhere from 5-7000 alarms a year (depending on where you are). It's a great opportunity and the departments down there are looking harder than every right now with the financial times, seeing as nobody has time to volunteer except full time students. Give it a shot, at the least take a gander at a website. If your a parent and your kid wants to be a firefighter, this is a great place to start out. The area offers several job opportunities including DCFD, Montgomery County, PGFD, Fairfax County and Baltimore City/Counties just to name a few. Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Stay Safe.

www.hvfd.com
    www.34box.com
    www.kentland33.com
    www.bv9fd.com

Forum Member

Smile

I would love to be a live in up there @ kentland, but im not looking to go to college. I just finished the NC EMT so the only college i have left is the lil con ed classes
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Well.............

A few points if I may. 1: Anyone coming to PG to join, and who has prior Training, get a National Pro Board Certificate for what you have, since PG Recognizes NBFSPQ Certs. 2: Be aware that the process of Joining a VFD requires some time to get thru the process, don't expect to apply today and Ride on Calls next week, or next month. 3: Since ALL EMS in this area is Fire Based, you WILL be doing a lot of EMS work, and you WILL be required to be a Maryland EMT. Look at www.PGCVFRA.org which is the County Fire/Rescue Association website, and you can find a site for each VFD in the County (Almost, since a few do not have Websites) Also, use the link from the PGCVFRA website to the Fire Commission to get more info on Requirements to be able to operate in this County.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by CoChaos1 View Post
    The area offers several job opportunities including DCFD, Montgomery County, PGFD, Fairfax County and Baltimore City/Counties just to name a few. Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Stay Safe.
    Being a live-in PG volunteer firefighter does NOT improve your chance of employment with the local and federal fire departments - especially over the next 30 months as they have stopped hiring, forcing unpaid leave and - starting in July - some will be laying off existing employees.

from some ancient PG live-in and retired municipal firefighter
    Last edited by MikeWard; 12-14-2008 at 12:23 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah................

Mike, Boat's leaking so bad I quit bailing, just let 'er drift.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

FossilMedic

Yeah I know, went through it with the department, the community college and now the university.

Death by meeting, followed by passive agressive behavior.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was going to join recently. It was between Hyattsville and Seat Pleasant. After finishing my degree I wanted a break from school and figured Seat Pleasant would be better for me. However, I finished so high on the Milwaukee and DC tests that I thought I would be wasting everyone's time going through with backgrounds and switching over my certs. Now that the economy sucks, I think I might try to jump back in the game. These other departments are really delaying the hiring from what it seems.

I just joined Laurel Rescue Co. 49... good group of guys, even if some make fun of them for having an engine. I rode for 2 weeks... my hats of to the members there. They have to not only do engine company ops., but squad, ambo and dive as well. Well rounded group and I am proud to say I am joining the ranks.

www.laurelrescue.org
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Default Live-in Firefighters

We are currently looking to implement this program and are seeking any input on how to get started. We plan on going to MD and PA to see these operations. Our current problem is finding funds to renovate the firehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted by poster.

Thread Information