Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default ohio to arizona firefighterII transfer

i was just wondering if any body knows anything about if your ohio firefighterII transfers to arizona ?

Forum Member

I would call the AZ State Fire marshals office and ask about reciprocity. I moved here to Ohio from arizona and my AZ Firefighter I and II transferred to Ohio 240 fairly easy. I just had to fill out some paperwork and had my instructor sign it. I dont see why there should be a problem. From talking to people here that went through the 240 class, it seemed as if the training and bookwork was identical to the AZ I and II. hope this helps

Forum Member

I guess the WT must have disabled the search function again. CALL THE STATE!!!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

thanks crazy i am considering moving west hear there is alot of oppurtunity there .
    is that true?

Forum Member

There are a lot of oportunities there. It is not easy although they seem to hire more people due to the influx of people moving to the warmer climate. For example, I have a bunch of friends that work for phoenix and they have put on four acadamies a year for the past 5 years with 40 plus recruits in them. The testing process is different out there than it is out here. All of the test have a minimum passing score. If you are within that score then you move on to the next step. The oral board is the most important part. You can barely pass the written and smoke the interview and get a job. So if I were you I would start working on your interview skills. Each dept. out there test every year. If you already have your medic you are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Unlike in Ohio where there a thousands of medics, out west, there might be 5- 10 per 100 people testing if that. Also look into getting your wildland red card... huge out there and it is easy to obtain. Any other questions let me know and i'll try to help

Forum Member

you know anything about the city of buckeye

MembersZone Subscriber rescue542's Avatar

Default Arizona Reciprocity

There is no state requirement to be certified in the state of AZ. It is up to the individual department to decide what they are willing to accept as certifications. Many departments will accept out of state certifications without requiring you to get an AZ certification. You need to check with the specific department you want to test for.

If they want you to get an AZ certification there is a reciprocity process. You have to submit an application to the state fire marshal's office with a copy of your IFSAC or Proboard cerificates. Once you do this you will have to pay a fee and then you can take the written test and practical skills tests successfully to receive your AZ certification. The fire marshal's office does not schedule reciprocity testing dates so you have to make arrangements with an academy class to take them along with their students usually.

If you would like any additional information let me know. I am working on getting several programs IFSAC accredited for the state fire marshal's office and I currently hold the position of Battalion Chief of Training for Green Valley Fire District.
    Scott Van Boerum
    Battalion Chief - Training
    Green Valley Fire District
    Green Valley, AZ

Forum Member

Hiring has slowed down a lot here. Tucson has cancelled their academy planned for next year and Flagstaff was going to begin a hirning process, but I have just gotten a postcard saying they were going to postpone it. I work for an ambulance service and have heard many rumors about departments getting lists ready of people that may be laid off. I don't know if that is true or not, though.
    But pretty much it's just like anywhere else in the country now, with all of the cutbacks, etc.
    And yes, it does snow here in the Tucson area! (at least here in OV)
    Nan

Thread Information