Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Professionalism is an attitude and has NOTHING whatsoever to do with a paycheck.
    hmmm, Like Pro footall? Or Baseball?
    How about the Attorny.
    There is no person in the world (other than a vollie) who would consider a non paying hobby a profession. NONE.
    Hence the word Profession.

Forum Member

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by alecshawn1 View Post
    Read number 2. nimrod. Its the part that proves me right. Why didnt you highlight it?
    To GAIN livelihood! Thats an income. Afield often engaged by AMATUERS! Also, it mentions financial return.
    for you knuckle heads..it means you are a Paid/Career Firefighter for example. NOT an amatuer volly.
    Again, To be a Professional a volly needs to get on a REAL fire dept.
    One that requires testing,skills,knowledge and the long long extremely rigorous
    hiring process. There is no more competitive job in the world.
    Once you gain that...THEN you can call yourself a Professional.
    Not just because it makes you feel better. Or important.
    Thank you for your research; you proved me right.
    alecshawn1:

I have been childish, stupid and foolish.
    I apologise to all.
    Sincerely.
    I will not be posting here any more.
    You are all better men than me.
    You are right and im wrong.
    I am ashamed and i hope my kids never see this side of me.
    Patty, I love you and hope you are doing well in life.
    Im am a sad and lonely person. I have no meaning anymore.
    Times can change fast, hold on.
    Sorry for everything.
    FTM-PTB
    Ah, another day, another glorious day of using your lie against you. How could it possibly get any better?

Forum Member

Are you serious?
    1. Professional Depts could care less about prior volly. Care less.
    2. Military gives you "Military Credit points" Towards your overall test score.
    In many areas its an additional 20%.
    3. Being a Veteran is like gold in the interview.
    All in all, Come to Ohio/California or New York Professional Depts. and dont bother mentioning your prior "volly" experience. It wont matter
    It means nothing except one had a hobby.
    I like playing basketball but the Lakers wont be hiring me anytime soon.
    Get it?
    Volunteers are just amatuers. They may enjoy it and good for them but they are just enjoying a hobby.
    There is ZERO comparison between vollies and Pros.
    Not in any area including EXPERIENCE,Training and Knowledge.
    There is just NO comparison. I do my own taxes, (ours are easy) Im NOT an accountant though. Not even close. The Accountant is the Tax (Pro).
    I'll hit this one point at a time.
    1: Career departments don't care. Not true. Career departments care if an applicant has credible, document, relevant training. No matter where it came from.
    2: Military credit. In this State it adds toward retirement. So much credit for military years so you don't have to work as long to get out.
    3: Military like gold. Maybe. recently discharged veterans are usually in better physical condition and more easily pass hiring exams. They also are still in the mindset of following orders.

There is no comparison in one who trains, dedicates their time and works hard as a volunteer applying for a career firefighting job and you thinking you have a decent jump shot expecting the Lakers to beat down your door. That, my friend, is just plain insulting. It surprises me that a great number of departments all over the United States are volunteer, have always been volunteer, will always be volunteer and if you were to walk into any of their houses you will find a vast number of highly motivated Professionals that are more serious about protecting their community than you are about padding your wallet
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Let's talk fire trucks!

Read number 2. nimrod. Its the part that proves me right. Why didnt you highlight it?...Thank you for your research; you proved me right.
    I haven't insulted you, no need for name calling. It only shows weakness on your part.

As for the definition, the word "professional" can mean ANY of those three things, not ALL three. I didn't highlight it because we all know that ONE of the definitions of professional is to be compensated for doing an activity. However, the highlighted part shows that compensation ISN'T needed in order to act or perform professionally. Twist the definition as much as you want, it still shows that you don't need a paycheck from your fire department in order to be professional.

Changing the subject slightly, what's you opinion of the 12 two-hatters (myself included) that ride at my volunteer department? Are we still scabs even though our rural county doesn't have the financial means to employ career firefighters? Do we still not make interior attacks or other accusations you've made in the past?

I'm not so naive not to see that your purpose for being on this forum is to stir the pot ("dames," "scabs," etc), but I'll still humor your desire to get people riled up. Flame away...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I haven't insulted you, no need for name calling. It only shows weakness on your part.

As for the definition, the word "professional" can mean ANY of those three things, not ALL three. I didn't highlight it because we all know that ONE of the definitions of professional is to be compensated for doing an activity. However, the highlighted part shows that compensation ISN'T needed in order to act or perform professionally. Twist the definition as much as you want, it still shows that you don't need a paycheck from your fire department in order to be professional.

Changing the subject slightly, what's you opinion of the 12 two-hatters (myself included) that ride at my volunteer department? Are we still scabs even though our rural county doesn't have the financial means to employ career firefighters? Do we still not make interior attacks or other accusations you've made in the past?

I'm not so naive not to see that your purpose for being on this forum is to stir the pot ("dames," "scabs," etc), but I'll still humor your desire to get people riled up. Flame away...
    Yep. scabs.
    period.
    and, No one in America except for the vollies would consider a person doing something as an amatuer would be considered a profession (al).
    Again, i can find NO other group of individuals calling themselves "professional" except for vollies...NONE.
    Get the chip of the shoulder and just get in your place.
    When you ARE a Professional, which you said you were..Then ill call you one.
    When you volunteer..you aint.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    I'll hit this one point at a time.
    1: Career departments don't care. Not true. Career departments care if an applicant has credible, document, relevant training. No matter where it came from.
    2: Military credit. In this State it adds toward retirement. So much credit for military years so you don't have to work as long to get out.
    3: Military like gold. Maybe. recently discharged veterans are usually in better physical condition and more easily pass hiring exams. They also are still in the mindset of following orders.

There is no comparison in one who trains, dedicates their time and works hard as a volunteer applying for a career firefighting job and you thinking you have a decent jump shot expecting the Lakers to beat down your door. That, my friend, is just plain insulting. It surprises me that a great number of departments all over the United States are volunteer, have always been volunteer, will always be volunteer and if you were to walk into any of their houses you will find a vast number of highly motivated Professionals that are more serious about protecting their community than you are about padding your wallet
    When you take the written exam, Military credit gives you big points.
    Much more important than being a vollie.
    Considering those points puts you in the top 10% to start out with. WAY ahead of the vollie. So much ahead that the vollie doesnt even score high enough for the oral interview.
    And IF they do, The VET WONT get jumped over. Unless, they just completely blow the interview and simply goof up.
    Vollies care less about protecting ANYTHING than the do about their wanna be image.
    (i.e. Lights on vehicles, stickers everywhere,t-shirts EVERYDAY that identify them as a "firefighter").
    If you EVER want to go anywhere and test with me (im 38) bring it on.
    Ill clean your clock anytime AND ALWAYS surpass you.
    While i was in the Military i saw ALOT of vollies apply for L.A. City. (where i was stationed) They never made it. Who did? College grads and Military 99% of the time.
    I couldnt test for L.A. city, You had to be a "city" resident at that time and being in the Military..Well, that got in the way too.
    I decided on Toledo over cleveland fire....I had both jobs.
    Toledo is nicer,safer and pays more. AND more secure. Cleveland is well, Not a good place.
    Actually, Rocky River pays the most in Ohio.....HMM
    Last edited by alecshawn1; 12-16-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Yep. scabs.
    period.
    So, are the citizens of my protected area better off without us "scabs" volunteering our time? Nevermind, I'll let them answer that question.

Get the chip of the shoulder and just get in your place.
    Hmmm? Kind of hard for me to listen to this advice from you of all people.

When you ARE a Professional, which you said you were..Then ill call you one. When you volunteer..you aint.
    So, when you're off doing whatever it is you do while you're not at work, you're not a professional firefighter any more?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

When you take the written exam, Military credit gives you big points.
    Considering those points puts you in the top 10% to start out with. WAY ahead of the vollie. So much ahead that the vollie doesnt even score high enough for the oral interview.
    And IF they do, The VET WONT get jumped over. Unless, they just completely blow the interview and simply goof up.
    What about localities and states that don't use a civil service exam or grant veterans points...or ANYONE points for that matter?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

What about localities and states that don't use a civil service exam or grant veterans points...or ANYONE points for that matter?
    You know those places don't count since our friend has no first hand knowledge of how they do business and it makes his point almost foolish
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Since the first gulf war(1990) those places are so few...They are statistically insignificant.
    From L.A. City to FDNY The vets status is a gatekeeper that always opens doors.
    Here in Ohio, its state law.
    I know it is in Cali also. After 9-11 and the wars we are in now.....Gold my friend, its gold!
    Vets deserve it.
    Note: I'll repeat it: When you take the written exam, Military credit gives you big points.
    Undeniable fact of life.
    Last edited by alecshawn1; 12-16-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Forum Member

Since the first gulf war(1990) those places are so few...They are statistically insignificant.
    I know it is in Cali also. After 9-11 and the wars we are in now.....Gold my friend, its gold!
    Vets deserve it.
    Note: I'll repeat it: When you take the written exam, Military credit gives you big points.
    Undeniable fact of life.
    Ohio and California are your only chiseled in stone examples. using your logic I only know the State of Mississippi therefore we must be the gold standard for the whole country. If you can pass the physical agility exam, have a hs diploma and can interview just slightly better than a potted plant then you are fully qualified to work. And your volunteer experience as well as any documented Fire Service training you have goes a long way.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Show me your statistics on this.

I don't claim to be an expert on Ohio (or L.A. for that matter), but Virginia is a right-to-work state without a requirement for a civil-service exam. The 6000 career firefighters in Virginia represented by the VPFF don't abide by contracts, nor do we get points for military service or having family members in the service before us.

Again, your generalizations about the fire service, both volunteer and career, give little substance to your arguments.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Vets deserve it.
    Undeniable fact of life.

Vets points do count. Do they deserve the job over anyone else? NO, they don't. Do they deserve the points? Probably, but the points alone are no guarantee to a job. Funny thing where I work we are not being overrun with veterans getting jobs. I don't know how many applied the last time but I do know how many were vets that were hired.

The vast majority of our recuits are either volunteer firefighters or from other career FD's.

Frankly, anything you say here doesn't take away from the fact you are still a liar.

alecshawn1:

I have been childish, stupid and foolish.
    I apologise to all.
    Sincerely.
    I will not be posting here any more.
    You are all better men than me.
    You are right and im wrong.
    I am ashamed and i hope my kids never see this side of me.
    Patty, I love you and hope you are doing well in life.
    Im am a sad and lonely person. I have no meaning anymore.
    Times can change fast, hold on.
    Sorry for everything.
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default Zzzzzzzzzz

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...can you hear it????? that's a door hitting AlecShawn1 in the Bu$$. ta ta alec.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Ya know, this alec character sounds a helluva lot like a recruiter..

Thread Information