Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAcoFD

Forum Member

Default LAcoFD

I was wondering if anyone had any information on LAcoFD hiring process? I turned in an Application and now I guess its a waiting game to see if I get randomly selected to take the written?? Has anyone gone through their process? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

Check out lacountyfire.com here is alot of talk about the hiring prosses
    Last edited by Paddiegrunt; 12-14-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

I second the website posted above. It's a great message board with most of the members being LACoFD firefighters, explorers, fire photographers, and people trying to be LACoFD firefighters. Definitely read up in the "LA County Fire Jobs" forum. I believe you have to register to be able to read the forums.

Also check out this page on the department's site: FIRE FIGHTER TRAINEE Frequently Asked Questions
    And here is a direct link to the official FF Trainee job bulletin: http://www.fire.lacounty.gov/helpwan...30198A_FFT.pdf

I just finished the process and am waiting for an academy date. My timeline looks like this:
    - Applied in February 2007
    - Written test in November 2007 (random selection)
    - Interviewed in January 9, 2008 and notified of Band 1 status two weeks later
    - Background orientation letter arrived in late June
    - Background orientation on July 12th
    - Cleared backgrounds/conditional job offer on October 7th
    - Medical exam on Oct 20th; clearance received three weeks later.
    * - Family day letter (academy orientation) arrived February 4th

The next thing I hear from the department should be the letter for my academy orientation and that event takes place eight weeks before the academy starts. Based on what I've been told, I may be going to the tower in April or May at the earliest, so it's a solid two-year-long hiring process if everything goes smoothly. Possibly shorter if you get lucky and are selected to take your written sooner after applying than I did. Definitely keep your CPAT current through the whole process. Even this late in the game, if my CPAT were to expire before going to the tower, I'd be disqualified.

Hopefully that helps. If there's anything else I can help with, let me know. Good luck!

* updtated
    Last edited by SansMustache; 02-05-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: updated timeline

Forum Member

Thanks for the information I appreciate it! And Congrats Sans Mustache, I hope you receive that letter soon.
    Cheers.

Forum Member

Thanks, nomex!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SansMustach

Hey, thanks for the detailed information.

It appears I'm about a year behind you in the process (App. 12/07, Test 11/08, Interview 1/09).

Its amazing how long this process can be, but if your hired...I'm sure it worth every second.

Good luck going forward!

Forum Member

And to you, ntrjms! Thanks! Your timeline should match mine pretty closely. I just checked and the exact date of my interview was 1/9/08. They say getting hired by LA County is like winning the lottery, but I'd still want this job if I won the actual state lottery. Kick *** on your interview.

The 129th academy began yesterday so I'm cleared to start pouncing on the mail man daily, looking for that Family Day letter.
    Last edited by SansMustache; 01-06-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: i'm a grammar nazi

Hey NTRJMS, how did the oral go? My LAcoFD oral is on the 21st, just wondering if they conduct the oral somewhat like LAFD or if its completely different.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Svff750

Hey, just got back on the site...sorry I didn't have any information for you before your interview on the 21st, my interview was on the 23rd.

It was actually quite different from the LAFD interview. I don't know how much we can share here but I'll be happy to communicate with you about the process.

Ironically, I just recieved my letter and was placed on Band 1 with a 96.5 score.

To be honest, I thought I struggled in the interview, but I guess you never know.

Good luck, and let's be in touch!

Forum Member

Default Background orientation

I recieved my letter to go to the background orientation in two weeks. The letter says that I will be there all day, just wondering if anyone has any additional information. What will we be doing? Is it similar to the 160 questions like LA city, do you fill out a background packet there? And do i need to bring anything other than my cpat and license like it states, such as transcripts and EMT card? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default Background meeting

I recieved my letter to go to the background orientation in two weeks. The letter says that I will be there all day, just wondering if anyone has any additional information. What will we be doing? Is it similar to the 160 questions like LA city, do you fill out a background packet there? I appreciate any help and information you guys have about the meeting. Thanks

Forum Member

Default BG meeting

Hey got my letter saying that I am invited to the background meeting. Just wondering if anyone had any information on what to bring, because in the letter it just says license and cpat. Any info on what we will be doing. Thanks

Forum Member

Looking for some output on what to expect for the LACOFD background orientation day timeline. Basically, I have been chosen to attend the mandatory meeting ( Band 1 98.0 ) and looking for any previous knowledge of what to expect.

There is an active link over at California Firefighter.com and some LACo Firefighters there as well.

http://www.californiafirefighter.com...=3495#post3495

Forum Member

Also looking for info on how best to prepare for oral interviews for LA County? Just took the test and I think I did well. I want to get a jump on preparing myself. Any difference between County and City's orals (I've taken city's)? Appreciate any feedback. Feel free to send PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone who took the Sept. 30th written test get their results back yet? I am still waiting for mine in the mail and was wondering if anyone had heard anything yet. Let me know thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking LAcoFD written 09/30

I just received the letter today. It was mailed out on the 20th.

John 15:13

I received mine earlier this week. Oral interview scheduled mid-Nov.

MembersZone Subscriber

ya just recieved mine yesterday, oral scheduled for mid-november aswell, good luck to everyone

John 15:13

Well... passed the interview. Got my notice last week. Anyone have any insight on how long the turn around is for back ground orientation/scheduling?

Thread Information