Forum Member

Default Those 15 Annoying People on Every Forum

I was sent this awhile ago, and still laugh when I read it. I don't know the source, but remember it being from someone's blog. It is long, but I think many of you will enjoy it.

The original version of this was how shall we say....harsh. It has since been modified so I can keep the few friends I still have and not to seem too negative and completely anti-social.

I have, on occasion, been a contributing member (sort of) on a couple of different forums covering various topics. What I have learned from this is that no matter what the topic of the forum is people do the same aggrevating things. I understand there is a mythical thing called "netiquette" however it doesn't seem to have gotten past the imaginary stage. Maybe it's me and I am just easily annoyed. These are the people who drive me up the wall....

1. The "smiley" obsessed poster. Why do you have to use every stupid smiley available to you? Just write Happy Birthday. Don't use 64 idiotic cartoons jumping up and down holding signs that say "Let's Party" to illustrate your point, especially when Jenn67 did the same thing in the previous post. There is always the one person who can't write a single thing without using at least one smiley.
    Personally I can't stand "smileys". I can't even stand the fact that I have to type the word here. I understand why forums have them, I would just like a function where I can disable them and never have to see them again. I'm not sure what it is that bothers me about them, I think it is the childishness of their appearance. They make me feel like I'm in grade school. Maybe if somebody made a set of them that had a bit more taste, something two toned grey and a bit less hokey I'd be more OK with them. But as it is, I think they may in fact be the most annoying thing when it comes to forums.

2. Self recognition people. Ego driven posts that have titles like, "My New Website!". Which will no doubt have one line that states the following, "Hey guys! Just finished my new website! Take a look and tell me what you think! http://www.reallysupertalentedguy.com" These people have some bizarre notion that a forum is a great place to showcase all the great stuff they do, without realizing how little anyone is interested. I don't have a problem with them being creative, I just really don't like it when they so blatantly try to get other people to say, "Hey, so-and-so, that looks really great!"

Another variant of this is the "My Kids Are The Smartest, Most Talented, Most Awesome, Most..." post. This one usually involves some sort of picture, and like 6 paragraphs about how Tommy's football team won the galaxy championships and how he was selected as MVP. It is vital that the words "I'm so proud of him/her!" is used at least once.

Why do we care? Good for Tommy, but what good is this information doing me? And why is it being posted in a forum about the Civil War? Keep all information that only pertains to you, or is about you, off of forums. It looks stupid when you go fishing for compliments, and it makes you look desperate for attention.

3. The "I have a freaking book as my signature" person. Ughhhhhh people. Ughhhhhhhh. Stop doing this. That little space at the bottom of each post is reserved for one line. One line. That's why they call it a signature. They don't call it, "your personal webpage on this forum". Just have your one quote there, as long as it's not your own. I can't for the life of me understand how people can quote themselves -Me.

Seriously, you do realize that we see this every time you post a comment right? It's not a one time thing. Three quotes, a poem, and a picture of your kids is too much ok. I won't even touch the subject of those meter things that take forever to load on slow connections that are all the rage...

4. The "I'm different" poster. Ye ol' black is good enough for most of us, but there is always the one person who likes to spice things up by writing all of their posts in an alternative color. They will often use a larger font size as well. Honestly, does this person really believe that we find magenta an easier color to read than black? And that each letter being 3 cm high is an idealistic use of space?

I saw this once on a forum, and the guy responsible complained bitterly about how boring the forum was, and why the people running it had changed his colorful post back into regular format. He just couldn't understand why people didn't think it was cool, and why it mattered. One retort from another member still stays with me: Purvisa:"It matters because the people who visit the site regularly appreciate the effort its developers have put into creating a consistent look and feel. When someone uses different sizes and colors for more than emphasis, the look and feel of the site changes." I would add the fact that it makes you look kind of stupid.

5. The "What's google?" poster. If you have a question you better make for damn sure that you spent at least 10 minutes trying to find the answer elsewhere on the net before you ask it in a forum.

The post is usually called "Quick question." And is of the following nature, "Hey, does anybody know the name of that really tall building in Malaysia? Thanks!" The amount of time it takes to find the answer to that question is about 20 seconds. Why don't you put the effort in before you expect others to help you? The "What's google?" poster is almost always followed up by the "That's google!" poster. The self elected person who has to say something like, "Did you even try googling?" or just "Google".
    Occasionally they get really sarcastic and write something like, "Hey, there's this great website called google..."

6. The "linker". This person really really annoys me. They have to create an entire thread called something like "Funny Video", and then just put a link. No explanation, no nothing. There is a variation of this where it's something like, "Great website" and the post says something like, "I just discovered this truly amazing website, check it out." Which is just as cryptic as writing nothing. Another version is the link-to-an-article-I-just-read-that-you-should-also-read-because-I-thought-it-was-interesting person.

Links should be used to support what you are saying, they should not be the entire point of your post. If you're going to include a link of some nature please make sure that you have reasonably explained what it is and why you have posted it. Then we can decide whether or not we want to view it and later to discuss it.

7. The "I am smarter than you" poster. No matter what you say, they know better. Don't argue with them, don't even tell them your point of view because; they went to such and such school, they work at such and such company, and they are so and so much older than you. These people are just frustrating. If they are so brilliant then they should learn how to express themselves without being condescending. I dread seeing the following, "I know all about this stuff since....so if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to explain it all to you....blah blah blah Princeton....blah blah blah blah DuPont....blah blah blah you weren't even born yet...."
    These people are a more complex version of the ones who I call, "I'm the oldest person on this site" people. They play the age card as often as they can and assume no one else knows what they are talking about because they are so much older and wiser. They'll throw out, "I'm sure none of you were alive, but I saw this little known group called The Beatles in 1966." or "I am probably the only one who even knows who the actress Karen Black is. But..." Just shut up already, no one cares how old you are, and believe it or not some of us actually know how to read and have an understanding of recent history, so stop thinking you are so much more worldly. If age was the way we determined the social, political, and intellectual standings of the world then we'd have turtles as our leaders.

8. The people who have no concept of image size. For some reason it is completely OK in their minds to post a picture that is 2 feet by 3 feet and 32 MB in a forum. So, we all have to wait 5 minutes for their vacation picture to download before we can go on reading a thread that has nothing to do with it. Some advice people, if the picture is bigger than your computer screen it shouldn't be on the internet.

The people I truly don't understand are the ones that will quote the person with the giant picture and then just put a smiley face or write "that's cool". Why the hell do you have to show us the picture....again? Now we all have to wait even longer, and we have a duplicate image of the same huge picture, thanks.

9. The little bastards who write everything like this, n00b, teh, fwaw, I-083€, goob, etc. The majority of the time I don't even read the gibberish because in all honesty if you think you are cool because you use the keyboard to type in an alternative manner then you need to get a life. The fact that you do it makes you pretty much a I_053!?. Woot! (Whatever the hell that means)

These people are greatly outnumbered by, but related to, the people who are addicted to "lol" or "LOL" or "LMAO" or "RAOFLMAO" or "RALPHMACCHIO". It's OK to let people know they made you laugh, but c'mon now. I'd be scared to meet any of these people in person. Because if they laugh half as much as they type they do, well, then they are probably very very annoying. Perhaps the worst thing is when they laugh at their own comments. What is that? You don't do that. How can you think it's right to do that? Do you think everything you say is so funny that you are constantly laughing at yourself? That is kind of frightening.

10. The "I'm going to talk very personally about myself here" people. What are you thinking? Why on earth do you that? We don't even need to know your real name, let alone your kids names, your street address, or every serious disease you've had or currently have. And for goodness sake why do you give out your e-mail address and phone number to everyone?

Similar to these people, because they don't seem to have worked out this whole internet thing, are the "I take everything you say personally" people. They're the ones that can't take other people's opinions, even when they ask for them. Usually they get really annoyed when anyone tries to contradict them, or god forbid, tell them they're actually incorrect about something. Then they start some huge argument that eventually ends in them or someone else being banned. People, it's a forum about Photoshop, not a high school dance.

11. That person who only reads the last page of a thread, and so writes something that's already been said 5 times, or writes something completely unrelated to the actual thread. Usually they just base it on the title of the thread, without reading the first post that sets down the actual framework for the discussion. For instance the thread could be called, "Your favorite movie....", and the first post says "...not based on a sinking boat in the north Atlantic during the early part of the 20th century that starred Kate Winslet and Leonard DiCaprio and was directed by James Cameron." Of course, "Mr. or Mrs. I Don't Read The Thread From The Beginning" will promptly just go and post something like, "I have to admit I LOOOOVED Titanic!!! LOL! Leo is so cute. I know it's silly, but I think so!!! LOL!!! That is totally my favorite movie!" (Did you read the first post in this thread?)

Banned.
    These people are similar to the ones who start an identical thread to one that has already been started, and ask questions that have already been answered. Of course, this group is always promptly shot down by someone who directs them to such and such post, and tells them to use the search area.

12. The constant 10 year old. There is always that one person who has to always point out the most obvious things in the world. Always. They are also the person who has a Disney princess or Sesame Street character as their avatar. Usually they have like 6000 posts. Typical comments are, "You shouldn't smoke!", "I love Christmas", "My boyfriend is great!", "Winter is cold.", and a variety of well known trivia facts like, "In England they call a cigarette a fag!", "The capitol of Australia is actually Canberra not Sydney!", and "Mark Twain's real name was Samuel Clemens."

This person is similar to the constant 16 year old who acts like they know everything, have done everything, and yet still find it amusing to bring up really mundane and juvenile sex related topics like, "If you could do it anywhere...."

13. The "story to share hijacker", this is the person that posts something vaguely related to the topic for the sake of being able to tell a story about themselves, or someone they know, or something they read once. Ughh...complete waste of space on a forum. Like that kid in school that always had something related to what the teacher was talking about to say. Typical responses are, "Speaking of _________! Once when I was in Omaha....", and "That reminds me of when I was in college and this guy I knew __________", and lastly, "OMG! Have you read _________! It is like totally the same as that! LOL!!!!" Guh. Guh, guh, guh, phlaaaw.

A distant cousin to that person is the thread killer. The one who has to say something so far fetched and removed from the actual topic that it effectively nullifies the discussion. Thread poison includes these gems; "My _______ died of cancer because of ________. That's why I don't _______." and "I don't have the time to read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm off topic.....", as well as "I would never let my children do that! And here is why....."

14. The complete and total poopoo hole. We all know this guy. He is the guy who tells you how much money he makes, and how smart he is, in the same sentence. He is also the guy who shamelessly tells people they are stupid, that they should maybe do some more research before their next post, and just writes stuff like, "You're wrong. Don't try to explain something to me unless you actually know what you are talking about." They are also the type of person that will constantly quote people just to prove them wrong. They love doing the thing where they pull up like 12 quotes from people on the forum and go through them one at a time explaining why they are wrong. As if their opinion was more right...

This guy is distantly related to the "hacker" guy. Every site has at least one of these. He is the one that has been on the internet since the 1960's, builds his own computers, runs neither Windows, OSX, or Linux, but rather a hybrid system that he designed on a Sunday afternoon that is vastly superior to everything else. He usually has nothing to contribute to the forum. He just waits for threads like, "Internet help!", "Which firewall to use?", "How do I post pictures?", and "Internet Explorer doesn't work!!!". He tends to be anti-Mac, so don't ask him about which PowerBook to get. He'll give you some garbage like, "Sure the OS looks pretty, but when it comes to functionality and real number crunching I'll take XP any day. Not to mention, WoW runs like molasses on a Mac." He's innocent, but he makes you feel mighty incompetent.

15. And finally, the "witty sonuvabitch". You know the one. The one that has to put on a show every time they post anything. The one that thinks it's hilarious to quote Monty Python if it is at all remotely related to the thread subject. The one that puts up those hilarious photos that are all over the place. The one that has the "humorous" avatar, although quite often it's an animated .gif. They are also the ones with a profound signature that they change seemingly every other day. This guy is the opposite of the "gloomy" person."

The gloomy person only posts when they have a chance to explain how uninterested they are in what's going on. They start something and then don't post anything else. Quite often they'll post things like, "Explain to me why I should read your posts?" and "Yaaaaaawwwn." They offer nothing positive, unless it is in their particular area of expertise. These people suck the life blood and energy out of threads and forums. You really have to wonder what on earth these people are thinking. Do they actually get some joy out of that?

There you have it. Somebody find me a forum without these people and I'll join it.

I wonder which one of these people I am, I probably don't want to know. The scary thing is that if you ever meet any of these people you find out that they are quite normal...
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

MembersZone Subscriber

Scary thing is, I know people like that and Firehouse.com has those people.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

"This parrot's dead!"
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Smile

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

Forum Member

Spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam,spam SPAM!

MembersZone Subscriber

I fart in your general direction!
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

You would be #16, person who post long replys! just kidding.

Bring out your dead!
    Be Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got this rash that just won't go away.. and now it's starting to bleed. What do you think it could be?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Yer mother was a hamster and yer father smelled of elder berries.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Yer mother was a hamster and yer father smelled of elder berries.
    sorry I can't resist.......

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOO FUNNNYYYY!!!!!

Hahahahahaha

what movie is that from?

check out my site, it all about movies I like. www.mysweetmovielistbecauseiamthegreatestmovielove rofalltime.com

1,2,5,6,7,14, and 15

yeah I know I'll be hated for that....
    Last edited by ffmedcbk1; 12-16-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS USE CAPS OR THE FOLKS WHO RAMBLE ON IN LONG POSTS WITH NO PUNCTUATION AND THEN THERE ARE THE FOLKS WHO CAN'T SPELL BUT THEY LIKE TO USE LONG WORDS ANYWAYS AND ITS STARTING TO SNOW HERE DO YOU LIKE THE SNOW I HATE IT WHEN IT GETS SLIPPERY BUT I LIKE CHRISTMAS DO YOU LIKE PUPPIES WHY ARE SOME FIRETRUCKS GREEN WHAT FLAVOR KOOLAID DOES PIERCE SERVE TFT NOZZLES ARE THE BEST AND USED BY EVERY MAJOR DEPARTMENT IN THE WORLD

Run away! Run away!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking ..................

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    sorry I can't resist.......

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOO FUNNNYYYY!!!!!

Hahahahahaha

what movie is that from?

check out my site, it all about movies I like. www.mysweetmovielistbecauseiamthegreatestmovielove rofalltime.com

1,2,5,6,7,14, and 15

yeah I know I'll be hated for that....

Your link didn't work...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    YOU FORGOT TO MENTION PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS USE CAPS OR THE FOLKS WHO RAMBLE ON IN LONG POSTS WITH NO PUNCTUATION AND THEN THERE ARE THE FOLKS WHO CAN'T SPELL BUT THEY LIKE TO USE LONG WORDS ANYWAYS AND ITS STARTING TO SNOW HERE DO YOU LIKE THE SNOW I HATE IT WHEN IT GETS SLIPPERY BUT I LIKE CHRISTMAS DO YOU LIKE PUPPIES WHY ARE SOME FIRETRUCKS GREEN WHAT FLAVOR KOOLAID DOES PIERCE SERVE TFT NOZZLES ARE THE BEST AND USED BY EVERY MAJOR DEPARTMENT IN THE WORLD
    Run away! Run away!
    I always think the people who capitalize are yelling at me.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb And.............

Don't forget the wingnutz who pop on just to say something meaningless, then leave. They have no interest in the discussion, but they feel that their name MUST be in every thread, at least once.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHAPPYMOM View Post
    I always think the people who capitalize are yelling at me.
    Ironic, considering your nick.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Don't forget the wingnutz who pop on just to say something meaningless, then leave. They have no interest in the discussion, but they feel that their name MUST be in every thread, at least once.
    I like vanilla ice cream.. Bye!
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Permanently Removed

So- Who are the 15 here?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Ironic, considering your nick.

Yes, but I fall under the category of "confused and not too bright when first signing up on a forum".

Forum Member

So- Who are the 15 here?
    Don't you mean "Who are the other 14?"

IACOJ BOD

R O T F L M A O
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

This Picture Made Me LOLROFL HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Do these pants make my butt look big??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post

This Picture Made Me LOLROFL HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

hehehehe I love it! I'll have to add that to my collection of wolf and cat images.

Forum Member

I can think of a few around here..........

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Do these pants make my butt look big??
    It's not the pants!!!! LOL

Thread Information