MembersZone Subscriber

Default I know this has been probably asked alot before...

Hello everyone I was wondering what's the best branch of the military to be a firefighter in? What I'd like to do is be enlisted, gain whatever certs and training from the military that I can then start applying to a civilian department when my enlistment is up. I'm considering the air force. But I'd like to know about the other branches before I make my decision...

I have my certs in Pro Board, FF1/2, Nremt-B, Evoc, etc...

Thanks for you input.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

You are correct. It has been stated in here numerous times that the Air Force is the best way to go.

What also has been stated in here numerous times, is that using the United States Military to "get" your certs is a pretty self-centered thing to do.

Serving in the United States Military is what should be first and foremost in your mind. It's a cliche, but remember John F. Kennedy saying "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country." Now, certainly no one is bashing you for wanting to enlist. But if you are simply enlisting to serve your own needs, you should really think long, hard, and three times before you do it. Then, if you decide to enlist because it is perhaps the most patriotic thing that you could do to repay your country for your freedom; thats when you should start to think of going Fire Protection for your Military Occupation.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Serving

Hey Buff.....I get the patriot side of joining up but if one is to serve ones Country shouldn't he/ she get some experience under their belt in a profession that they would like to do when their a civilian??? Just because they would like to get their certs while they are in...whats the harm in that??
    I served my country from 68-72 as a Naval Firefighter and 72-76 as a Federal Firefighter in Long Beach. I took my experiences to the City of Long Beach and have no regrets in doing so.....so why should FirefighterPep
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

No harm no foul guys... Did'nt think i had to put this on here but might as well before this escalates further...

I'm a marine that served in afganistan and iraq... i served my country and love my country and wish to continue serving my country only this time as a firefighter in a different branch.

I bleed red white and blue.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Default Thank you!!

Thank you for your service and good luck to you. Stay safe and keep you head down.

Jay
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

FirefighterPEP,

Don't even think about staying Marine to be a firefighter. The 7051 community is dying due to the contracting overseas. Marine ARFF is underfunded, lacks training opportunities, and is restricted to the airfield mission. The AF is by far the best place to be a firefighter in the military, but it's getting tough to get in there. You might want to consider ANG or AF Reserve.

S/F

MGySgt V

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info gunny... I already knew about the dire situation that the marine corp firefighters are currently facing... which why I was looking into the AF... But can anybody tell what its like being a firefighter in ANG and AF reserves? because I dont know much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterPEP View Post
    Thanks for the info gunny... I already knew about the dire situation that the marine corp firefighters are currently facing... which why I was looking into the AF... But can anybody tell what its like being a firefighter in ANG and AF reserves? because I dont know much about it.
    PEP,
    Prior Devil Dog here, I am currently a Firefighter in the MN Air Guard (Enlisted) and for Wi Air Guard (Civ). Any questions about "crossing into the blue" from the Corps let me know, I'll tell you about my expirences.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    PEP,
    Prior Devil Dog here, I am currently a Firefighter in the MN Air Guard (Enlisted) and for Wi Air Guard (Civ). Any questions about "crossing into the blue" from the Corps let me know, I'll tell you about my expirences.
    Volk Field?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Volk Field?
    Negative Devil! Haha, even though thatís closer to home, I even drive right by it on my way to work. I work at Truax (Dane County Regional).

Thread Information