Thread: Cleveland Fire?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cleveland Fire?

Does anybody know if Cleveland is going to be hiring or any of its suburbs for Fire and/or EMS? I'm not from the area so I dont know what is going on out there. But from what I have heard its been a very long time since they have tested. Any help or information for Cleveland or its suburbs would be much appreciated...
    -Victor

Forum Member

Yeah, I don't think Cleveland has tested since '98 and hasn't hired since '00 or '01. I can't imagine having 8 years on the job and still being called "rookie" .

Anyhow, word has it they will be testing pretty soon...maybe next year. The smaller suburban departments are testing all the time. Not easy to get hired though. There are definitely some guys on this forum that can help you better than I can.

Forum Member

Except for Cleveland, Akron and other bigger Cities, you pretty muc need your medic card to sit for the test. Some are allowing those in school to sit, no hire until you get your card though. The NE Ohio is very competitive. Several hundred guys have been known to take a test for 1 or 2 spots. Jobs should be coming available with retirements looming due to DROP.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Cleveland is having a test very soon, but applications are closed at this point. I think the last day to apply was November 30, 2008.

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep an eye on www.cleveland.com . This is the Cleveland Plain Dealer's website, and most Cleveland area departments post their civil service tests on there. Also, some departments do not place a classefied add, but only place a notice in the legal notice section of the paper.

Additionally, many departments hire career staff from their part time ranks, and most part time hiring is done through application.

Good Luck
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Alright well i'll have to check it out...thanks...if anyone finds anything else out, let me know please. In the mean time I'm gonna be trying for cleveland EMS i guess... cause it seems thats about all you can do in that area with a Basic cert. Thanks again...

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a very helpful website for you to check out, it is the official website of the Cleveland Firefighter's union- Local 93.

www.iafflocal93.org

There is a page on there about "employment"- (#32 on left hand side)

There was no application period that closed in November of 2008 as stated previously. That is false infomation.

The last Entrance exam was administered in October of 1998. Yes, the classes hired from that list were 2000 and 2001.

There are approximately 35 candidates from the 1998 test that may be getting hired this spring.

You need to have a Cleveland address to get hired. City residents get 10 bonus points and veterans get 5 bonus points. Even if you score a perfect 100% you will not get hired without the bonus points.

Also, as stated previously www.cleveland.com is a very good resource to use.

But, a lot of cities post on their websites when they are hiring. Just look at each different city website.

Best advice is to take as many tests as you possbily can and do not get discouraged. The more test that you take, the better you will score on them.

Cleveland EMS is not a bad alternative. Just don't buy into the "BS" that they brainwash their employees with- in regard to "Cleveland Fire".

Good luck!
    iafflocal93@aol.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Also try:
    www.fireprep.com

Forum Member

If you are looking to pay the bills and have a NREMT-Basic, you can usually find a job with a private ambulance service in north east Ohio. Some of those will work with you to upgrade to a paramedic which will make you marketable for more fire department jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by VictorAtkins View Post
    Alright well i'll have to check it out...thanks...if anyone finds anything else out, let me know please. In the mean time I'm gonna be trying for cleveland EMS i guess... cause it seems thats about all you can do in that area with a Basic cert. Thanks again...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard anything new about CFD? Wanted to bump this back up to the top. Been waiting several years for this test.

Thread Information