MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hale pressure relief valve stuck

OK, here's one for you guys more experienced at wrenching on pumps. We've got a Hale 1,500 GPM pump out of an '89 engine we've got tore apart because the shifting fork in the gear box broke. While we've got it tore down, we're finally getting around to working on the stuck pressure relief valve that hasn't worked since we procured in about 4 years ago.

We've got the cap off, but all the brass components inside are bound up and I can't get anything to budge, let alone get it out of there. We don't want to tear anything up trying to get it out, of course. Any tricks?

Forum Member

Try calling Hale for suggestions.

Forum Member

Well, at least we now know that Waterous watches the boards!

Forum Member

Mike if that has the old brass spring on the back like our old ones did, we'd soak'em real good with panther **** and after a while try to exercise them while under power.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysFireKC View Post
    Mike if that has the old brass spring on the back like our old ones did, we'd soak'em real good with panther **** and after a while try to exercise them while under power.
    That's what the guy I got a hold of today where we get our parts from said. Unfortunately, he was out of the shop yesterday or I would have had it soaking overnight. Apparently (and obviously, now that I think about it) calcium and crap gets accumulated in there, especially when it's not used regularly.

Gives me another good example to my guys of why we excercise the valves and such to prevent this kind of thing.

I guess I'll go out and get 'er soaking and see how well it works out.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate the info/tips. We finally got it worked out after a bunch of PB Blaster, tapping it with a hammer to vibrate the PB in, and a couple of pry bars easing it out.

When we got it out the valve was bonded to the sleeve with rust and calcium. It took almost an hour of polishing all the parts on a lathe, after a good soaking in CLR, to get them back to where everything would slide like it's supposed to.

The only thing I forgot to do was to get some pictures to put into driver/operator training to show the guys why we excercise everything on a regular basis, including the pressure relief valve.

Next step is to get the shifting fork changes out and the gear box put back to gether and rebuilding some valves and we should have a pump that works like it's supposed to.

Forum Member

Glad you found you solution before I got back to the computer. We had the same problem with our '84 Hale 1250 gpm pump. Ours was travertine, a naturally ocurring chemical in our water supply. We found it when the pump would not pass it's annual test. I was really hoping the wear rings had gone bad to justify a new engine, but just the prv....and we now have a contract signed for a new rescue/engine....best of both worlds.

Thread Information