Administrator

Default 10 Year Anniversary: Send us your stories

Firehouse.com became part of the World Wide Web ten years ago, December 25. From the beginning, Firehouse.com was established to be, “The web’s community and resource for firefighting, EMS, rescue and safety.”

Send us your reflections, thoughts and stories about your experience with Firehouse.com and its effort to serve the fire service community, so that you can help us mark this significant date.

Email: Anniversary@corp.firehouse.com

http://www.firehouse.com/10year_anniv2.html

Permanently Removed

Webteam- Youre a live? Did you get laid off earlier or just took a long vacation?

Be back with memories later on....Bou

Some Guy

I joined along time ago. The end
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Oh look who woke up.

I was an Explorer in High School back then. I feel old.
    Last edited by nmfire; 12-16-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Started out looking online at firehouse.com when i was just a junior. Learning and meeting other firefighters from other states and countries has been the greatest joy on here. This website and forum has really helped me become a better firefighter by exchanging ideas, learning from those with WAY more experience, and sharing my experiences with new firefighters.

Happy 10th Firehouse.com and to many many more.

Samuel C. Millman
    FF/EMT
    Bridgeville, DE
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

I joined Firehouse.com about 9 years ago.. my first screen name was
    Lt. Gonzo, as that was my rank at the time. Gonzo was the nickname I got tagged with in my first few weeks on "da Job".

I had a few thousand posts under that pen name, changed it to CaptainGonzo when I got promoted to Captain in August of 2000. I kept the same screen name when I got promoted to Deputy Chief in 2007.

I've made friends with a lot of people here, and have met many of them in person and shared a few cold ones with them...

I have also lost a few friends here, as they have passed away... Bob Compton, aka Engine 3311 and Jon Thomas, aka FDNYRR. Rest in peace, Brothers...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Some Guy

I should not have been so blunt. Poor attempt at humor. Anyway, I forgot how I found this site. I don't post much but I check it all the time. With that I would like to think a lot of the senior members here that I have learned from. It is nice to read about things from all over American and even the world.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, good to see you WT.

I agree with the Gonz and Kyle. I have been here a while too and am grateful for the relationships and "friendships" I have developed here. I love reading how things are in other parts of the country and the world to see just how different, yet the same, we all are.

I have watched the forums and website develop into a leading site for news and insight too. Some for the worse but mostly for the good. I actually found the site trying to renew my subscription online and stumbled across the website.

Happy 10th birthday Firehouse.com!! Thanks for everything.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Oh I know. Remember when the WT disappeared for 10 years?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

Huh... I don't know where to start.

Perhaps I can get an immunity agreement first. Then I will tell it all...

I think I watch too much Law and Order.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Why would you need that? Your memories of FH.com only go back to January of 08. Unless you are a habitual mult!

I would like to throw in my opinion for the memory vault..."Mongofire99", need I say more?
    IAFF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Why would you need that? Your memories of FH.com only go back to January of 08. Unless you are a habitual mult!

I would like to throw in my opinion for the memory vault..."Mongofire99", need I say more?
    What's a mult???

Need immunity because you need to be wary of the WT and the ban button

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Instead of the "doink doink", do you hear "dork dork"?

Just kidding.. Law and Order is like crack...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Before Firehouse.com

Even before the internet,Firehouse magazine was grooming us firefighters since 1976 to become more in tune with the fire problems of the times.
    Just seeing new equipment advertised and the future of tactics and ideas formulated around the world made them a leader in the spreading of news about problems for firefighters. Captain Gonzo is a great leader of ideas on the internet. I don't want to slight anybody, but he stands out in my book. Now I can just sit back and relax in Surprise Arizona,and visit modern fire stations that are ahead of their times. The baton has been passed on to the future managers of Firehouse.com and magazine. 32 years is a good batting average.
    Neil H. Donahue Worcester Fire Engine 3 retired.
    Surprise Arizona
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I'm sue you'll all remember our good friend AlexYates from almost 2 years ago.
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...res/yates3.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...res/yates2.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...res/yates1.jpg

I forget who this was... but they were some kind of some-proclaimed rescue team in a upper-NE/New England state. They were whining because the County EMA shut them down because they were out "trying" to help in a bad storm.
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/100_0352.jpg

PS - Shut up AJ.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Wow 10 years

I found this site when I was trying to look up national run statistics. I joined and have been checking back ever since. I am always checking in but don’t post much because the forum usually can be summed up with these pictures.

starts off good then goes to...

Then ends up at......

But I have also learned a lot of invaluable information. Thanks to Firehouse.com and all who post!!!!

Last edited by DixieFire53; 01-05-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

IACOJ BOD

Since 17 December 2008, so few posts.

Can the web team agree the only thing sticky about this is in the web teams hands and get rid of this thread.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

I go back to June of 1999, when one of my guys told me about this site. I haven't been in here everyday like some whose posting count surpasses mine and haven't been in here for maybe a year or two. Maybe they just have more time to be on here and post in every thread.

I did at one time have every issue of Firehouse magazine and until a few years ago, I kept them neatly filed in a year by year binder. I found that like the old Fireman, Fire Engineering, PA Fireman, Visting Fireman and some other monthly publications, I was quickly running out of space to keep them. I offered them to some guys who maybe would like them but they like myself couldn't deal with all that stuff. They went to the recycle company.

I kept all my fire hard covers, which are in three book cases and from time to time I refer to them. I started reading a book or two each month. I have all my FAJ's and FDNY's WNYF and my Engine-Engine stuff which goes back 325 years or so.

I still like this site and have been back in here more in the last year, since I decided that rushing around shoot photos of fires, and apparatus was to expensive and since I am getting older and not as healthy as I once was, it was time to ease up some.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information