MembersZone Subscriber

Default NOCFA Paramedic Injured in PI

Last night(12-15-08) one of the North Oakland County Fire Authority (Holly, MI) Paramedics Andy Ames was involved in a very serious car accident. Andy was on his way to visit his girlfriend around 8PM last night along with his 2 dogs when a driver of another vehicle heading in the opposite direction crossed over into Andy's lane and struck him head on at a high rate of speed. Andy's vehicle rolled over and landed in the ditch. Andy was so badly entrapped in his vehicle that it took our personnel 78 minutes and every piece of equipment we had to extricate him. The driver of the vehicle that hit him was pronounced dead on scene. Although Andy was conscious the entire time he suffered severe injuries to his lower extremities including two fractured femurs, an open tib-fib fracture and a broken ankle. Unfortunately one of the dogs died. As of this morning Andy is in good spirits despite his injuries and the seven hours of surgery he underwent last night and early this morning to begin the repair to his legs. Certainly he will have many more surgeries and undergo months of physical therapy. We can only hope that he fully recovers. This accident was very emotional for our department as it was one of our own. I would appreciate it if you could keep Andy in your thoughts and prayers. Please forward this email to your friends and associates. If you have the time please drop him a get well card. Cards can be sent to NOCFA, Andy Ames, PO Box 129, Holly, Mi 48442. I will make sure that he gets all your cards. A financial support account will be set up shortly for anyone interested. Visit www.nocfa.org for more info on donations and updates on Andy.

Forum Member

I heard about this last night. My thoughts and prayers go out to Andy and of course his department. Everyone feels the pain when it's one of your own.

I know from experience how tough it is to run on someone you know.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Chiefy; 12-19-2008 at 11:18 AM.
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Updates and Info

Updates can be gotten on www.nocfa.org and blogs are set up on www.caringbridge.org with the website name being andyames.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Get Well Soon

Tell him to get well soon, it sounds like he has great spirit to heal fast. I will say a prayer for a fast recovery. May his new year be a fast recovery.

Have a Happy Holidays

MembersZone Subscriber

Question update?

how is he doing? just wondering...

Thread Information