Forum Member

Default Phone call

Did anyone get a phone call from the recruitment office in regards to the 2009 written exam?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I heard today that they are going to have to have 2 different test locations for this exam. it turns out that there are more people trying out this year than in the past 5 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Gary, I just got a recorded message this morning telling me that the original test location has been changed and what I needed to do to confirm my registration. Are there going to be two locations or are they changing the location all together?

MembersZone Subscriber

i got a message too, the lady said that ill be taking mine at the Westin Hotel , i looked up the hotel, and the biggest room they have can accomdate 1250 people, so im thinking there will be two places. has anybody herd of how many are actually applying?

Forum Member

I got a call today as well, informing me that the test was moved to the Westin Ballroom. I took a look at the Recruitment page on Charlotte's website and it had some more details. Everyone who registered before 1-28 will test 3-07 at the Westin. Those who registered 1-29 and later will test 3-14. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

2009 HIRING PROCESS

The hiring process will begin with registration for the written exam. The written test is usually only offered once per year. However, we have reached capacity for original first test date and have re-opened registration for an additional test date. All applicants who registered between January 15th and January 28th have been assigned a test appointment on March 7th. All applicants registered after January 29th will receive an assigned exam appointment on March 14th. No date changes/swapping will be permitted. This is a general knowledge exam and there is no study guide. You will receive more information regarding the times and location after your registration is completed.

Online Registration - Opens: Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 8:00am (EST)

Online Registration - Closes: Friday, Febraury 27, 2009 at 5:00pm (EST)

Click here to register! Please note: Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email to the address you provided (make sure the email contains a confirmation number). Most internet providers recognize the email as junk. Therefore, please check your junk mail before calling to report a problem.

~~ 2009 Career Day Open House ~~

You are invited to the Charlotte Fire Department's 4th Recruitment Open House on Saturday, February 14th from 10am-2pm at Station 10 (located at 2810 Wilkinson Blvd). The open house is free and no registration is required. This recruiting event is open for anyone interested in learning more about firefighter and support positions of the CFD. Firefighters and personnel, along with members of the Fire Explorers program will be on hand to answer questions. The Fire Explorers program is open to individuals ages 14-20, who meet and maintain requirements set forth by the program.

Those interested in applying for the 2009 firefighter hiring process can register on-site for the upcoming written exam. You will also have an opportunity to participate in sample CPAT events, including the stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, and rescue. Light food and refreshments will be provided.

Please note: We have reached capacity for the original test on March 7th. Therefore, anyone registering after January 28th will be assigned a test appointment on Saturday, March 14th. All questions pertaining to the hiring process and the open house should be directed to the Recruitment Office at cfdrecruitment@ci.charlotte.nc.us or 704-336-2979.

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Default Test Of 2009

Everyone this is the test to take if you want to get on the job. Few brothers down there said opening 4 more stations.

Forum Member

Default hope this helps?

Hey Guys, in respose to some of the questions about the new testing location. I have heard from a BC of charlotte that they are having to change the location of the test to accomadate for the large number of applicants. the hotel can hold around 1300 people. since there are two test sessions its a pretty safe bet that there are around 2000-3000 applicants, more than any other testing year. alot of it has to do with the high number of job loss around the state and country and everyone trying to get on with a "pretty secure" job. they only hired 20 guys off of the 2008 process so i think this year is not gonna look good for hiring. best of luck

Forum Member

" think this year is not gonna look good for hiring."
    All you can do is try and hope that you make the cut.

MembersZone Subscriber

UUUMMM I am pretty sure they are goin to need more than twenty this year they are already working on Station 40 in north east Charlotte. But yes the number of Apps. this year is crazy for them to have to have two different testing dates. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!!! If you havnt been through the process for Charotte the written test isn't bad but start getting prepared for the CPAT by running and working out .... you don't want to be one of the many that they have to stick with IV and fluids!

Forum Member

Well considering they told us in the 2008 process that they were to hire between 40-60 and there is only one class of 20, i think its safe to assume that the number isnt going to change drastically. And that was with station 39 that just opened in december 2008. Now this doesnt mean they wont hire a significant amount of recruits. I know the past two years i have done the process they havent hired the amount they said they might or could. with this being said just make sure your papers are in order, your references are good. and go all out on the cpat. you only get on shot.
    Last edited by Gary4cfd; 02-03-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: left out info

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone going down on the 14th to the open house?

Forum Member

I might make it down for the open house. Right now I'm on duty that day and I'm trying to find someone to cover my shift.

Forum Member

Just went to the graduation of class 78 yesterday. Classes 79 and 80 are currently in session. So they have def hired more then 20 from the 08 list. A few guys on the job there told me the city plans to have about 2500 -3000 test over the 2 dates in March. Good Luck to all!!

Forum Member

Just attended the graduation of class 78 yesterday. Classes 79 and 80 are in session already. So it could be safe to say they have hired more then 20. I talked to a few guys on the job and they said the city expects 2500- 3000 people testing over the 2 dates in March. Good Luck to all!!

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the 2009 Charlotte fire exam, go to the link below for custom designed exam prep. Good luck !

http://www.fireprep.com/charlotte_fi...exam_pre1.html

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Per Friday's Charlotte Observer 2800 applicants for 50 positions........

Forum Member

I am looking for some help here.. I am going to be coming down to take the test this March and I have a few questions. First I would like to know if anyone has information on the salary other than the starting pay. I am a full-time firefighter right now and I am looking at a starting salary that is a couple thousand lower than what I am making now. I know with my current dept. the salary increases significantly after the first couple years. Anyone know what its like in Charlotte? Secondly, the dept I work for is a member of IAFF and our union is strong. I know NC is a right to work state and I am wondering how much leverage the union has in Charlotte? Any help would be apreciative!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NBFSPQ View Post
    Per Friday's Charlotte Observer 2800 applicants for 50 positions........
    haha. thats actually decent odds compared to some of the other tests ive seen

Forum Member

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Fire/Home.htm

Google is a great thing.

I agree with ya. My current department tested 3500 for a class of 55. I got in. Never lose faith.

Be safe.

Forum Member

Everybody ready for the test. 10 or so days away. First time taking it. Anybody know what sections make up the test?

MembersZone Subscriber

im gettig ready first time there, hopefully the weather's decent my gf and i are leaving PA thursday morning so hopefully its a little warmer down there

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Application period closed early

From the CFD website:

"Registration for the 2009 Written Exam has CLOSED. Due to the overwhelming responses, registration for the written exam closed on February 15th."

Seems a bit odd to post a closing date and then move it up, even if there were an extraordinary high number of applicants.

Default Test This Saturday March 6th

This is my first post i am a volunteer in VA and am taking the test this saturday anyone else taking the test at the 1230 time slot? if so we should meet up before hand have breakfast or somethin anyways post back.

Forum Member

Default Wow

Alot of people...Good luck to all.

Thread Information