MembersZone Subscriber

Default Charlotte Fire Department 2009

I just checked the Charlotte FD website and they have the dates up for registraton and the 2009 written exam. This came straight from the site:

2009 HIRING PROCESS
    The hiring process will begin with registration for the written exam. This is a general knowledge exam and there is no study guide. You will receive more information regarding the times and location after your registration is completed.

Online Registration - Opens: Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 8:00am (EST)

Online Registration - Closes: Friday, Febraury 27, 2009 at 5:00pm (EST)

Written Exam: Saturday, March 7, 2009
    Last edited by SC2Tennessee; 12-17-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

sweet thanks, I was registered for last years when i got stuck on a fire the night before and the test was on my birthday so i didnt feel up to driving to charlotte that morning lol
    but ill be there this year.
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

Forum Member

Who's all applying for the 2009 process. I heard that they have hired all that they are going to hire from the 2008 list. A good friend of mine got in the academy that starts on Jan 28th.

Forum Member

So who's applying for Charlotte 2009?

Forum Member

Hey guys,

Applying to Charlotte for this upcoming test. I am from New England, can anyone provide any information about the area. I have only visited the area a few times, so i am looking for insight from those of you who live there. Cost of living, crime, good place to raise a family, schools...things like that. Thanks and good luck to you all.

Oh and any rumors id and how many are planning on being hired? Also, how long is the list good for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I will be there again this year. I have heard that on average it takes 3-5 times of testing before you get hired. Now that's not to say you can't do it in 1 or 2. Good luck to everyone this year. sbfd, if you go to www.bestplaces.net/col/ you can enter info rom where you currently are and then where you want to go, and it will give you a comparison of several different things. Cost of living being the main one. It will also compare food cost, health care costs, etc. Hope that will be of some help to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you taking the 2009 exam, go to the link below. It gives you an idea what the process for 2008 was like.

Good luck !

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=96918

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Can anybody provide info on what the written test consists of? Memory, math, reading comprehension...

MembersZone Subscriber

The testing subjects in the past few exams have included the below subjects

Understanding Oral directions
    Understanding Written Materials
    Interpersonal Relations
    Math and Arithmetic Reasoning
    Maps, Diagrams and Mechanical Drawings

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Default What about Greenville SC??

I am looking to test in Charlotte...but noticed the Greenville SC is hiring also...does anyone in the area have information about this department?

Thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

I ll be there, coming down from easten PA, really looking forward to it ive herd a lot of great things about the city and the area, this will be my first time there, but am really excited about this test.

Forum Member

Charlotte was one of the harder written tests that I've taken, but it was also very fair as i recall (aka if you were smart you'd do well and move on). The test started off with a memorization/direction following/math segment at the beginning that was a little tough, but i made it through ok, the rest was a typical civil service test.

A buddy of mine I took the test with got hired (first try) and LOVES it. He is on a busy Ladder Co. and goes to a pretty fair amount of fire. He and his wife bought a GREAT condo in the Ballentyne section of the city for around 140k....and it is AWESOME i went and stayed with him a while back and it was really a top notch place in a great part of the country.

Forum Member

Default Testing again

Hey everyone my names is gary i just finished with my fire protection degree this past year and this is my 3rd year trying out with the charlotte fire department. first year ('07) i passed the written and cpat and got a rejection letter in june of 08. last year i got to an interview and did not make it. everyone has to remeber where in a real volitial time with the economy so expect hiring to be slim. hopefully third time is a charm. i have also heard that it takes an average of 3-5 times before you get hired. its a long process if i can give anyone any advice as to what to expect just let me know, good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post More ???'s

Maybe someone can answer some of my questions?? I am from MI and was thinking about taking the exam..
    - Do out of staters have to come down each time (seperate) for the steps in the process?
    - Any solid info on the # posible to hire and how is the economy and future looking down there?
    - Does having a medic help and do they run ALS and do they transport?
    - How long is the academy and will all of my MI certs transfer (EMT-P/FF)?
    - Is there recruiters that I can call and talk to?
    I know some of these questions have been posted in the previous 08 thread, but I was looking for the most updated info. Thanks for any info and good luck to all that test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just looking over the registration process and noticed the " Personal History" and the " Background Questions". I didnt fill them out when I did my Initinal Registration. I filled out the form and cliked submit. My question is am I missing something, did I need to fill these out when I put in my application, or are these after you past the written. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advace.

Jordan

MembersZone Subscriber

Track, if my memory serves me correct, you will fill the rest of it out after you pass the written.

FF, Yes out of staters have to come for each part of the test. It sucks but it will be worth it if you get hired.
    A friend of mine told me that this is going to be a good year to get hired. They have several guys retiring and then have to backfill for slots already open. Wasn't sure on exact #'s though. I do know that they always run a minimum of 1 class a year. It is a long process though so hang in there.
    Medic may help but they do not run als YET. I have heard it rumored that they are eventually going to start.
    The academy is 21 weeks and no your current certs don't count. Everyone goes through the same 21 weeks as the others.
    From what my friend told me, the economy is good as far as public safety goes there. They have not yet cut much if anything from the FD and PD budgets.
    As far as talking to someone, go to http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Fire/Home.htm
    That may be able to answer questions better and they will have all the phone #'s for you to call. Hope this helps guys. Good luck in march.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys my name is Mark, and this will be my second time taking the test. Last year I passed the written and physical tests as many did. No interview. For those of you taking the test March 7th, good luck! The process is very long, and patience is key. If anyone has any questions reguarding the past years testing format, feel free to write to me. For the guys doing it all again, I hope this is your year.

MembersZone Subscriber

another quick question to anybody that can help. does anyone know the approx. length of the test. I recall reading somewhere to allow 4 hrs for the test, but cant seem to find that info anymore. the only reason i ask is becasue my gf and i will be flying back to baltimore md saturday night , becasue of emt class the next day up here in pa. just looking for time if anyone can help so i can make my arrangements. thanks guys for all the help.

Jordan

MembersZone Subscriber

Trackhoe if ou go to the link i posted in my other reply, and go to recruitment. they have a FAQ page that tells you to prepare for 4 hrs. They are usually pretty good about getting everyone registered that morning and seated so they can begin on time.

Aaron

MembersZone Subscriber

I found it as soon as i posted my last post, but thankS Aaron for all your help.

Jordan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks fire3

Thanks for the info. How many steps are in the process..Written/physical/cpat/interview/pscy/medical. How many total (seperate) steps. Can I send a cpat and not take it there since it is supposed to be a national standard test? Thanks again..

MembersZone Subscriber

Go down a little and there is section that tells you all the steps in the process.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...nformation.htm

As far as the CPAT, you might want to contact the recruiter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like stated in the previous post, your best bet is to contact the recruit division (704-336-2979) regarding the CPAT. Although, I believe you must be present for all steps of the hiring process.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have asked the question before about taking cpat somewhere else and was told that yes you have to be present no matter what.

Aaron

Thread Information