Forum Member

Default Webgear/Harness suggestions

This is a first for our department. We now have new wildland firefighting gear. The AFG application did not include webgear or harness and my question is this. We've identified that we want the harness/suspender attached to the utility belt style, however we're pretty much going to have to purchase them ourselves for those that want to take their shelter with them. So the question is, does anybody know of good alternatives?? Military surplus? Maybe a military membership organization like Airsoft (?) or any other location that could satisfy that need. Does anyone know of a brokerage outfit that specializes in wildland equipment?

Forum Member

Check with your local Forest service or DNR and see if they may have some of the old yellow web gear you could get. You can get the belt shoulder straps seperately though GSA also.
    Fight fire aggrressively having provided for Safety first.

Forum Member

I would highly recommend the True North stuff. It is very well made, comfortable, reasonably priced and warrateed. I can get you demo gear if you are interested.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

If cost is an issue, the gear 911 stuff is decent. If you just want to carry a shelter, you can attach it to a 2" web belt with the alice clips that come on the case the shelters come in.

Forum Member

Default Ask around first...

If cost it the factor, beg or borrow what you can. As was mentioned by skvfd5 your local DCNR or other agencies may have older, gently used gear that they may be willing to donate to a worthy cause. If their happens to be a brand that you like and are looking to purchase, contact the manufactuer directly and see what can be worked out since you'll be outfitting what sounds like your whole agency. I am not too sure as to whether or not Nebraska has to have the new generation shelters or not, but that could help or hurt depending on whether or not agencies have upgraded gear to accomodate the new shelter's.
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    ... those that want to take their shelter with them...
    Do you have firefighters who don't carry a shelter when away from the engine? Do they think they are fireproof, or that the shelter is too heavy, or any other excuse? I realize that there are times where you could stomp out a fire, but you do get fires that could change very suddenly and drastically, right? Get in the habit of taking the shelter, even if your dept fights fire while riding in an protected area on the truck other than the cab. Someday they may need it and not have it. Remind people of this, show them the video that TX Forestry out out few years ago.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Back In Black

If you can..

Go to a show and try them out.

There is a lot of good stuff out there, you need to try them out.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

if you are a structural department, and just are looking for a way to carry a fire shelter when you're on a brush/grass/forest fire, i would suggest just the simple surplus army web belts, maybe add a canteen or two, the bonus is you can likely get the web gear from your state division of forestry as government surplus, just ask your local forest ranger/fire warden. If you are looking for line packs as you are considering going out west, there is quite the multitude of styles and configurations to pick from, so its mainly up to you what you want and can afford

Forum Member

Try your state surplus system.(THIS IS NOT THE GSA PURCHASING SYSTEM)Here in Kentucky our county governments can purchase through the state surplus system.The warehouse allows only approved county governments to purchase items. The only problem its a hit or miss type system.You can find anything and everything some on trips and strike out the next.Some state forestry agencies have programs that allow FD to buy through the GSA program.Kentucky does not. Good Luck!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RxFire View Post
    Do you have firefighters who don't carry a shelter when away from the engine? Do they think they are fireproof, or that the shelter is too heavy, or any other excuse? I realize that there are times where you could stomp out a fire, but you do get fires that could change very suddenly and drastically, right? Get in the habit of taking the shelter, even if your dept fights fire while riding in an protected area on the truck other than the cab. Someday they may need it and not have it. Remind people of this, show them the video that TX Forestry out out few years ago.
    Sorry, at this time we have not had a fire call since receiving the shelters. Our desire is to take them with us. With our strained operational funds we need to find some kind system that is a decent enough price that the member could afford it themselves if they want that security. It would almost have to be a harness with belt system. And yes the shelter has the 'Alice' clip system.

Forum Member

Jam24u,

I really hope that EVERYONE takes their shelter with them. If cost is really that big of an issue, then try the cheapest option that I know of, a simple military surplus pistol belt. Combine that with the Alice Clipped Fire Shelter, and a canteen w/ pouch and you'll at least have your shelter with you. It should not under any circumstances be "if they want that security", it should be EVERYBODY-EVERYTIME.
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Forum Member

if your working on an engine just get something simple. I would say that the best thing for you would be to go to www.thepackshack.com and get the Webgear, Bottom Only. Otherwise you will just spend too much money on extra weight. In my opinion if you are on an Engine all you need to carry is a Fire shelter, hose clamp, extra nozzle, extra reducer and 1 quart of water and 1 gato.

I would recommend The Pack Shack gear. Visit this site for more ideas www.dakotafiresupply.com

Thread Information