Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Interview coming up: Fire extinguisher question...

I heard that for the county Im going to interview for next month requires you to demonstrate the use of a fire extinguisher.

I know Im reading way too much into this but am I to assume they have never seen one before?

Should I just go over the PASS acronym or should I go into whether the item is a Class A,B,C, D or K?

MembersZone Subscriber

Your question is a very good one. The answer is simple:
    It depends on your audience.

If they tell you that you are speaking to a nrighborhood watch group, the Pass analogy would be appropriate.

If, however, you are speaking to a group of firefighters, the classes of fire might be more appropriate.

Know your audience and your time constraints.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    WWW.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

That sounds good. Im pretty sure that they will a) let me know who the information is for and b) are only asking me to do so to see how I speak in front of a group. Since educating the community on use of such equipment is a part of being a firefighter.

I may just go over the pass acronym and touch on it being a good idea to see what class of fire you are dealing with because a class a extinguisher on a class b fire could be a disaster...if they ask for more information I will of course be ready.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman1977 View Post
    I heard that for the county Im going to interview for next month requires you to demonstrate the use of a fire extinguisher.

I know Im reading way too much into this but am I to assume they have never seen one before?

Should I just go over the PASS acronym or should I go into whether the item is a Class A,B,C, D or K?
    I agree with BC Lepore, but fire extinguishers are pretty basic for whichever group you would be presenting this to. If this interview is a part of a job interview, then most likely this would be a demonstration you would be giving to the general public.

That said, you can go about the basics for an extinguisher. Most are of the ABC variety, but give the fire types for D and K also, or at least mention there are other specialty extinguishers out there. Just give a brief explaination of the fire types, the PASS acronym, basic maintainence and what to do with an extinguisher after it is used.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Just a heads up - in`07 there were numerous presentation topics and they were given to candidates at random. If they are only doing one topic for all candidates who are interviewing next month, don't expect it to be the same topic that candidates in "test cycle 1" were given. Although, you could get lucky.

Just trying to help you avoid tunnel vision. Like BCLepore said, know your audience and your time constraints. They want to see how you react under pressure.
    Last edited by SansMustache; 12-21-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar nazi.

Thread Information