MembersZone Subscriber

Red face trying to get back into shape.

This is probably something that has been on before but i will give it a try. I am 27 years old and have not been working out since high school. I was just wondering if anyone had any good work out plans that seem to be working for them and that may be for a beginer. The biggest thing for me is staying motivated. As you know the new year is quickly coming so for the new year there are many things that i am going to change with my self and my physical condition is the number one thing so any help would be great. Thanks and merry christmas and god bless you and your family

Forum Member

You need to sit down with a trainer get a physical from your doctor. How active are you? How much do you weigh? Getting a workout buddy after that would be a great place to start. If you workout with someone you are much more likely to stick to any program.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

the 4-1-4

One word, kettlebell.

Find a fitness studio with a good reputation and good fitness instructors, and offers group exercise classes. It'll take a little research in the area you live, but they are there.
    A good studio will have fitness pros who will help you develop a diet, figure out your goals, and then help you plan a routine to get you to your goals.

It will be expensive, but well worth it, especially when you are just starting up fresh. You will feel obligated because of the monetary investment, you will have to meet a schedule, you'll get good, solid advice as well as reinforcement until you are ready to hit the program yourself. They will also chart your progress and show you your results on paper, even though you will feel it.

I really like the kettlebell class. It is great cardio, strength as well as core building, and I have found ties really well into any program you are on.
    Even for advanced athletes, kettlebell classes are a great addition.

Forum Member

I agree with what the othe posters said, but will add some stuff based on my experiences.

Firstly, get a gym membership if you don't already have one, and set up a schedule that you will stick to. That's where a partner can be of great benefit. I do my long runs on Saturday mornings with a couple of friends and there's always at least one of us that would have chosen to sleep in if there weren't two other people standing at the trail head waiting. There are always going to be days when you won't feel like working out. A schedule and a partner are lifesavers.

Since it's been a while, I'd start with something low impact for cardio, like swimming or elliptical machines that emulate cross-country skiing. Then move up to some light jogging after you start seeing some major improvement. I'm a runner who just added swimming to my mix. It was SO exhausting at first, and I'm in good shape! I've been doing it for about month now and am able to go three times as many laps in the same amount of time as I did on the first day. I think it's a good example of how variation in your workouts can yield big improvements.

Forum Member

http://www.crossfit.com/

Do some of the stuff on here. A buddy of mine told me he does it in the morning as a cardio type thing, then does lifting in the afternoon. I currently don't use it, but I might start when my work out schedule and routine comes time to mix up.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Look into the Meyerjack routine. The fitness program at the FDNY Academy is closely based on it. Basically consists of 20-30 minutes of cardio followed by two cycles of ten different exercises. Each is a set of 20-25 reps with minimal rest between exercises. Search meyerjack, you should find it and it works.

MembersZone Subscriber

Start with kettlebell/dumbbell swings. Do them for both strength and cardio. After a week or two, add dumbbell clean & presses, preferably with a full squat clean, if you know how. Then, add renegade rows(look them up). Later on, add deadlifts. If you want effective cardio, you can do these exercises as a circuit, maybe 3-5 mins work, with one min. rest, for 5 rounds or so.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Thank You

Thanks for all the advice. I use to work out all the time but it has been a good number of years since I have So I was just looking for some Ideas and I think that I have some. My fire department curently has memberships to the YMCA so I am going to get in contact with them and see about a program. Thanks for all the advice and I wish you and your family a very merry christmas and a happy new year.

Forum Member

Fist off whats your height and weight?
    How far can you run right now (at a 6mph pace) before you have to stop?
    What are you eating?
    Are you taking any supplements?

Everyone is quick to knock the supplements, since you are just getting back into shape I would definitely suggest them. Its a proven fact that even those that are motivation lacking and are given placebos (meaning fake supplements) are driven just on the fact that they are taking something they werent before. It sounds dumb but its true, some people need that mental boost. Also, some supplements on the market right now are amazing, legal, and good for your body/mind, in moderation of course.

Youre just getting back into the swing so stay away from too much protien, and dont bloat up on creatine or anything like that. Go to GNC or wherever you can get legitimate NO Explode by BSN. Start out taking half a scoop a half hour before you work out and on an empty stomach. Gradually move to 1 scoop a day before workouts. Running, eliptical, and stairs is where you should live right now (2hrs a day if you are serious). AND WORK YOUR LEGS. Thats your foundation. Get in shape cardiovascularly then build strength, they will go hand in hand. Drink lots of water. Weigh before and after, you need to replace what you lost during workout. Get the NO Explode, trust me on this one. Get fruit punch if you do. Read the directions, you will be amazed with a month under your belt. Of course it will take a lot of hard work, but a little help never hurts. Good luck, shoot me any ?'s along the way. Been exercising/working out for 15 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rowdyroddy

My Height is 6'2" and I weigh about 265. As far as the running I am not sure what I can do at this point I have not ran like that in a long time. For my eating habits I prety much just eat my three meals a day. I can tell you that they are not the well balanced meals that I should be eating. No I am not taking any suppliments at this time. Since the post though I have been following the weight watchers plan. I have lost about 5lbs since I have done that. The big thing for me is pop I need to cut the pop out alltogether. I will defently do that With the no explode. I have started back to the gym and have been doing the cardio but you know how it is you have to start slow. right now I am still in the slow. I have been doing it for about little over a week so I have made the first step. Thanks for the info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Don't look for the fast results

I'm a 42 year old firefighter, from Michigan. Just over a year ago, I was ventillating a roof that had wooden shake shingles on it. I cut the hole with a pick head axe, it's all I had avaialbe, so I used it. I couldn't believe how much huffing and puffing I was doing and far out of shape I obviously was. I'm 5'10", and was at 225 pounds, and my 36" waist jeans were too tight. I decided that enough was enough.
    I do sit ups, push ups, and use my wife's eliptical machine. I try to work out every other day, and started with one mile on the eliptical, 20 sit ups, and 10 push ups. I now do 3.1 miles on the eliptical, 100 sit ups, and sometimes 100 push ups, but seldom that many. Too many push ups hurt my rotator cups, which is another disadvantage of getting older! Build up slowly, I increased my miles, by .10 every week until I got to 3.1, which is a 5k run. Same thing with the push ups, and sit ups. Build up slowly! I do the sit ups in reps of 20, and the push ups in reps of 10, with 30 seconds between reps.
    I did watch what I ate, I cut out all deserts (at first), reduced my food intake by a third. All I did was take my normal portion, decided what a third of it was , and moved it off of my plate. All the fast food went away. I love fast food, give me a quarter pounder, or a whopper and I'm in heaven, but I knew they had to go. I probably drink too much pop, but I drink diet, and I didn't reduce my intake.
    I secretly documented my weight every saturday morning, and compared the first Saturday of each month to the first saturday of the previous month. Don't look for weekly changes, this won't happen all at once. You do see a change on a monthly basis. I decided that this was personal, and I didn't share my progress with anyone, not even my wife, but trust me, everyone will eventually notice.
    I'm proud to say that I've lost 35 pounds, and I've seen muscle develpment. I'm in 34" waist jeans now, and they're comfortable. I feel much better, and I did all of this in my living room, while my family and I watched TV.

You can do this, I know you can, but take your time. Best of luck.

Forum Member

Feel free to browse this fitness board for previous posts on your subject.

You will see LOTS of reccomendations for CrossFit.

Hands down the best program out there for firefighting.

It's hard. VERY hard. Puking and nearly passing out hard. It will mess you up. But, so does fighting fire. Very little isolated movements, all functional exercises/routines. Your first couple months will suck. You will be embarassed and discouraged. But it will be worth it.

It will make you stronger, anaerobic and aerobically fit.

MOST importantly, it will build mental strength. AND, many firefighters (i.e. those involved in hiring processes) know how hard CF is. If they know you're doing it, they know you're not afraid to take a beating. Trust me on this.

There are plenty of CrossFit affiliates out there. They are not cheap. DO not let this deter you or mislead you! You pay for what you get. More importantly, if you do the math you will find CF training is much more efficient than going to a "globogym" and doing "focused" routines (i.e. beach muscles) that do little or nothing to prepare you for fire events, which require simulaneous use and overload of multiple different muscle groups. You will have a trainer on hand EVERY time you work out. TRUST me, it is worth it.

Check out the website. There will be a listing of local affiliates near you. Also, there are workouts (i.e. "Workouts of the day") posted daily. You can even do them at home.

http://www.crossfit.com

Check it out. Its fun. Different workout every day. It really becomes a hobby...constantly trying to beat your previous times. I know for a fact I will never go back to a standard gym.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 12-29-2008 at 04:17 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cross Fit

Ok... I get why you guys are recommending crossfit! It's great for firefighters because it gets your herat rate very high- which is really important... when one is ready. It is something different each day. I do very similar things... BUT:
    If he is just starting out after 10 years of not working out- I would be really careful with it. Here's why:
    1. Some of the stuff is a bit ballistic for a person just getting back. Placing the demands on the tendons, joints and the stretch reflexes in the muscles right off the bat coudl cause injury.
    2. Cardio- I would ramp up slowly. You are probably not used to having your heart rate so high as cross fit would take it. Start out running until you need to stop, then walk/run to finish your 20 minutes to start. Work up from there. When the time comes, I am a speed jump roper. Check it out.

I would follow the advice of the first response: Start out with a generalized weight lifting plan with a trainer. Lift 3 times a week and do cardio twice.

Start by doing full body weight workouts with just 2-3 sets of any given exercise. Make sure it's balanced: upper to lower body and front of body and back of body. You can split it up to upper and lower body work outs later, and even push pull routines after some months. Do core work- not just abs- in every direction. Stretch after ever workout.

If you have been pretty sedentary for 10 years I would suggest getting into Cross fit until you have done 6 months of pre- training.

Again, it's great stuff. It's just not for beginners...

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 01-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Forum Member

Starting back slowly is definitely the way to go. I agree that once you've gotten going Crossfit is pretty awesome. You can use a lot of their principles to develop some of your own stuff.

The only problem I have with Crossfit is that it seems a bit too random. I use some of their exercises on shift. Most of their stuff is cheap and easy to set up.

If you really think your tough, you can always do API. Their motto is "if this were easy we'd call it Crossfit" lol. They were in Muscle and Fitness this month if you subscribe. They are the "Caveman Training" guys.

www.apitrainincenter.biz
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

I have a problem with soda as well. Here is some incentive to quit.
    http://www.sodasucks.com/why-soda-is-bad-for-you.html

I wrote about it on my blog: www.firehousefitness.blogspot.com

Like my old gym teacher said "you get what you put into it". I started crossfit at motor city cross fit by my house and I was pretty much in the same boat as you, no real exercise. The people that taught me are "A" #1. Geared it toward me and it has made a big improvement in my strength and endurance. This is by far the best work out for firefighters I know or found. You can check out their web site at

www.motorcitycrossfit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default careful

Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    Ok... I get why you guys are recommending crossfit! It's great for firefighters because it gets your herat rate very high- which is really important... when one is ready. It is something different each day. I do very similar things... BUT:
    If he is just starting out after 10 years of not working out- I would be really careful with it. Here's why:
    1. Some of the stuff is a bit ballistic for a person just getting back. Placing the demands on the tendons, joints and the stretch reflexes in the muscles right off the bat coudl cause injury.
    2. Cardio- I would ramp up slowly. You are probably not used to having your heart rate so high as cross fit would take it. Start out running until you need to stop, then walk/run to finish your 20 minutes to start. Work up from there. When the time comes, I am a speed jump roper. Check it out.

I would follow the advice of the first response: Start out with a generalized weight lifting plan with a trainer. Lift 3 times a week and do cardio twice.

Start by doing full body weight workouts with just 2-3 sets of any given exercise. Make sure it's balanced: upper to lower body and front of body and back of body. You can split it up to upper and lower body work outs later, and even push pull routines after some months. Do core work- not just abs- in every direction. Stretch after ever workout.

If you have been pretty sedentary for 10 years I would suggest getting into Cross fit until you have done 6 months of pre- training.

Again, it's great stuff. It's just not for beginners...

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com
    I would agree with a ramp up but 6 months might be to long. The crossfit workout are scaleable meaning making modifications to the workouts based on ability. I am a crossfit trainer PM me and I'll help you out. With weight issues clean up your diet it will have a bigger impact than exercise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pfdcrossfit View Post
    I would agree with a ramp up but 6 months might be to long. The crossfit workout are scaleable meaning making modifications to the workouts based on ability. I am a crossfit trainer PM me and I'll help you out. With weight issues clean up your diet it will have a bigger impact than exercise.
    please email me at paperry@firstenergycorp.com I am interested in talking you about crossfit

MembersZone Subscriber

Default done

email enroute

Thread Information