Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSA vs Bullard

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Get ahold of local Scott rep for a demo unit. I can't understand why Scott is the only mfg with a camera that is configured for a crawling FF.
    There are a few reasons:
    1. It encourages the firefighter to stare down at the imager, relying on the imager solely as his means of entering and exiting the building. This is a very bad practice.
    2. Scanning in a non-fire environment is counter-intuitive. Pointing straight ahead makes the imager aim up at the sky or ceiling.
    3. An imager with a display facing skyward is almost impossible to use outside in daylight...the reflection from the sun is overwhelming on the display.

The rotating handle addresses some of that, but as firefighters should know, hinges are generally weak points and more prone to breaking. The single-body imagers are far more popular for that reason.
    Last edited by firemanjb; 05-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Beat to the punch. Out of all the cameras I've used for day to day ops, the T3/T4 series are hard to beat.I DON'T crawl looking at the camera.I take a "snapshot"of the room at three levels,pick a reference point,move to it and do it again.And again.And again. Maintaining reference to the wall so if the camera fails,I still know where I am and where the exits are. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Forum Member

"The rotating handle addresses some of that, but as firefighters should know, hinges are generally weak pionts and more prone to breaking. The single-body imagers are far more popular for that reason."

That is the reason we chose Scott SCBA because of the non swivel back frame plus it is T-69 aluminum and not plastic.

Thread Information