MembersZone Subscriber

Question Air Packs for 2009

I have been approached by my department to start working on air packs for our 2009 AFG Application. What are the guidelines age etc that are being utilized so I know which points to hit or even if it is even worth working on. This is due to a visit from out local scott dealer who said we are not compliant with the new standards; It took a little bit to straighten that issue out. As always any help is appreciated and if anyone has a guess on what I should add to this year’s dollar amounts it would too be useful.

Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by utfd704 View Post
    I have been approached by my department to start working on air packs for our 2009 AFG Application. What are the guidelines age etc that are being utilized so I know which points to hit or even if it is even worth working on. This is due to a visit from out local scott dealer who said we are not compliant with the new standards; It took a little bit to straighten that issue out. As always any help is appreciated and if anyone has a guess on what I should add to this year’s dollar amounts it would too be useful.

Thanks in advance.
    The PG has the following in regard to SCBA being replaced.

For departments replacing SCBA, the specific edition of NFPA 1981 to which the existing equipment is compliant (2007 edition, 2002 edition, 1997edition, etc.) will be factored into the score with a higher priority given to replacing equipment that is older. For departments replacing old or damaged equipment, departments with the oldest or most worn-out equipment will get the highest priority, and departments with the newest most functional equipment will get a low priority.

The criteria development panel recommended that, due to the limited funding available for grants and the recent change in SCBA standards (the 2007 Edition of NFPA 1981), DHS will not consider requests for regional projects that involve wholesale replacement of SCBA within a region. The criteria development panel recommended that DHS only consider replacing old, inoperable SCBA, and/or upgrading older SCBAs to the new standard within a region if proper justification was provided. Additionally, they recommended that DHS not consider replacement of SCBA that is compliant to the 1997 Edition of NFPA 1981 nor the 2002 Edition of NFPA 1981.

Forum Member

What about upgrading from 97' compliant to 07' compliant. Your not replacing the packs just upgrading them.

Forum Member

Check with your rep. not all 97 packs can be upgraded to meet 2007 specs, or the cost is close to that of new.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by darwinff View Post
    What about upgrading from 97' compliant to 07' compliant. Your not replacing the packs just upgrading them.
    Upgrading is an option to bring SCBA up to current standards. For the most manufacturers will only upgrade SCBA 2 standards. As islandfire pointed out not all SCBA can be upgraded to 2007 standards....Survivair is one...they eliminated the Panther SCBA and developed a new SCBA the Warrior.

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of people ignored this and applied anyway and their score suffered, in my own department we had been turned down twice for SCBA's (240K) so in 08 we asked for a live fire training trailer (400k) and got it first try. If you follow the rules and write your grant for the items that are listed as HIGH priorities you will do well, many departments still dont get it and are shocked when they are denied year after year.

Thread Information