Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default age of jr. fire fighters

we are just starting a fire jr. program and we donot know wat to set the age and curently it is 12 wat is yours

At my old vol dept we had a jr ff program you had to be 14 yrs old and could join the dept as a regular member at 17. However as a jr you were not permited to go to calls unless a chief authorized you to and you rode with them. you could come to fundraisers and you were permited to go to drills and participate as long as the drill was demend safe for a jr. I know theirs info on explorer programs out their you might want to check those out, they might have a legal standard wich could be helpfull so you dont get yourself in a bind. good luck...

Forum Member

between 15-16 preferred is 16

We start cadets at 15. If you are currently allowing them in at 12 because of a lack of protocal you better get that changed and taken care of real quick. Not that 15 is much better but 12 year old kids in any Cadet, Explorer program is just a bit young
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    We start cadets at 15. If you are currently allowing them in at 12 because of a lack of protocal you better get that changed and taken care of real quick. Not that 15 is much better but 12 year old kids in any Cadet, Explorer program is just a bit young
    Agreed.

With the boy scouts/Explorers it's 14-21.

However, 14 is about as young as I'd go, even then they're still somewhat immature. Hell, I'm still in high school, and I can't see anyone but a very select few from each class (65-70 per class) being mature enough to do anything at the department, let alone on a fireground.
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

Forum Member

Our junior program starts at 16 and the insurance company cringes. Im surprised yours allows 12. Its cool just so long as they arent going to calls. I think having 12 year olds is more of a PITA than its worth, just sounds like an injury waiting to happen. I dont know many seniors in high school mature enough.

we are thinking of changing it to 14 12 is to young but that is wat the insureance company recomended

Default Ages of juniors

At my fire house, 14-17 are the ages for juniors. I'm not gonna mention any names, but there are a few 16 year-old juniors who don't even act their age. I can't imagine what a 12 year-old junior would be like, but I know there are mature ones out there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDCADET1 View Post
    we are just starting a fire jr. program and we donot know wat to set the age and curently it is 12 wat is yours
    1) Welcome to the Forums.
    2) Please write with a little professionalism - this isn't AIM or MSN Messenger. This is the fire service - the firehouse kitchen table - the FH Forums. Your actions/words around here mimic the image of your department. Don't make yourself look like a fool. You wouldn't write a letter to your Fire Chief like you would IM someone on AIM, so leave it on AIM.

Yes 12 is a little young, but telling someone their protocals need changed is a rough. Please remember -- (nearly) EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT EVERYWHERE YOU GO. Just because your department doesn't allow it doesn't mean my department's protocals has to mirror your protocals.

I'm on an explorer post (4 years in, ranking officer for the last year and a half.) We start at 14 - earliest point in year to start is the end of the 3rd quarter of school.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Gone.

Our Juniors must be 16, and have one year to complete the Essentials of Firefighting modules. 12 is way to young. That's just an accident waiting to happen. The potential for an accident to happen to a 12 year old compared to a 16-18 year old is far to great, but if that is what you wish to allow, I'd hope your officers find preventative methods to keep these youngin's from harm from accidents until a certain age requirement is met, and to keep them off the fireground.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Yes 12 is a little young, but telling someone their protocals need changed is a rough. Please remember -- (nearly) EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT EVERYWHERE YOU GO. Just because your department doesn't allow it doesn't mean my department's protocals has to mirror your protocals.

I'm on an explorer post (4 years in, ranking officer for the last year and a half.) We start at 14 - earliest point in year to start is the end of the 3rd quarter of school.
    I'm proud of you. I still stand with my statement of if 12 is allowed in then there is a systemic problem and someone needs to make changes to ensure that these young children dont get hurt and / or killed by being involved long before they are mature enough to understand the situation at hand. If you disagree I am sorry.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

I'm proud of you. I still stand with my statement of if 12 is allowed in then there is a systemic problem and someone needs to make changes to ensure that these young children dont get hurt and / or killed by being involved long before they are mature enough to understand the situation at hand. If you disagree I am sorry.
    I can disagree with you - You can disagree with me. We're both entitled to our own opinions. But there's no need for your "I'm proud of you" line. I apologize for just showing where I was coming from (and how much [.001 cents] my opinion's worth.)
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

There's nothing wrong with allowing a 12yr old to join as long as
    1. Your local/regional/state guidelines and rules allow it
    2. You provide a training atmosphere that is safe and accommodating.

A 12yr old clearly shouldn't be responding to calls in my opinion. And the training they do may be somewhat limited. But there is stuff they can learn. The problem I have with this is how am I going to run drills for 15-18yr olds when I have to manage a 12yr old as well. The abilities are totally different and you'd almost need two separate groups.

If you are an actual BSA Explorer Post like we are, the minimum is 14yrs old anyway so its moot here. We don't let anyone respond to calls until they're 15.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    There's nothing wrong with allowing a 12yr old to join as long as
    1. Your local/regional/state guidelines and rules allow it
    2. You provide a training atmosphere that is safe and accommodating.

A 12yr old clearly shouldn't be responding to calls in my opinion. And the training they do may be somewhat limited. But there is stuff they can learn. The problem I have with this is how am I going to run drills for 15-18yr olds when I have to manage a 12yr old as well. The abilities are totally different and you'd almost need two separate groups.

If you are an actual BSA Explorer Post like we are, the minimum is 14yrs old anyway so its moot here. We don't let anyone respond to calls until they're 15.
    BINGO.

We don't currently respond right now anyhow, except if we're riding and our SOGs and the department's SOGs say no ride alongs until you're 16 - this goes for Rossford, and for Northwood too if I'm not mistaken (we can ride at both departments.)
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Our junior program starts at 16 and the insurance company cringes. Im surprised yours allows 12. Its cool just so long as they arent going to calls.
    Perhaps you should look into the Learning for Life offered by the BSA, the insurance is with them, not the dept.

As for maturity and age, that is completely in the eyes of the beholder. One doesn't have to look far on these forums here to understand that there are several explorers who present with more maturity than some who claim to be senior firefighters.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

I agree with NMFire and 326.

Also, that Im proud of you or whatever bull**** you were spewing was uncalled for. He was just trying to show that he's not a big bad firefighter looking down at explorers, but that he was a young kid too and had to wait like everyone else to be old enough to become a jr ff/explorer/cadet etc.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I can disagree with you - You can disagree with me. We're both entitled to our own opinions. But there's no need for your "I'm proud of you" line. I apologize for just showing where I was coming from (and how much [.001 cents] my opinion's worth.)
    I'm sorry. What i said was taken wrong. I am proud that you have stayed with your program as long as you have and are now the ranking officer. It was not a stab. I myself started in a junior program and have been involved for 17 years. I hope that all can stay active as long but there are many that get discouraged and quit.

Forum Member

I'm sorry. What i said was taken wrong. I am proud that you have stayed with your program as long as you have and are now the ranking officer. It was not a stab. I myself started in a junior program and have been involved for 17 years. I hope that all can stay active as long but there are many that get discouraged and quit.
    Understood. I apologize for assuming things. In that case, thanks for the kind words.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

Our age to join is 16, but some of the other local departments will start explorers as young as 14. We have a few kids who have an intrest and are under the age of 16 so we let them come around one monday night a month and start learning the names and locations of equipment but nothing official and it is with the permission of thier parents of course.
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our explorer program is run different than most, and being that our explorers are xpected to respond to calls, our minimum age is 16 and they must have a valid driver's license. Most become full members/firefighters at 18.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information