Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Video to inspire those to don your BA faster!

Hopefully this will inspire some to don there BA faster. Train as if your life, or someone elses, depends on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnV5Bcm8WBg

Stay safe brothers.

Looks like a good way to knock yourself out.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

If your air packs are mounted in the jumpseats there's no need to do this monkey dance.

Forum Member

kind of a little trick to do for bragging rights like those silly drill teams.

Forum Member

considering the standard is to be fully bunked out and on air in 1 min. 30 sec. i wasn't too impressed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why did he take his glove's off.

And in the famous words of ChicagoFF...why is Bob the Builder in the firehouse?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

glad he checked his face mask seal!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Hopefully this will inspire some to don there BA faster. Train as if your life, or someone elses, depends on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnV5Bcm8WBg

Stay safe brothers.
    I've always observed that the true mark of a real FF was how fast he could put on his SCBA.

Shouldn't we be focusing on what he does AFTER he puts the SCBA on?

Get a life, kid.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Look at all the negative posts. Wow. No wonder there are not a lot of new brothers posting on here. You guys are too funny. Me get a life because I posted a video of someone donning a BA? These must be all those who can't don one in under a minute. Where did I say this is a great firefighter because he dons his ba in less than 30 seconds? This is a great "back to the basics" training topic. I posted it in this forum because there is not a training forum. I thought this was the most applicable. I guess you all were more busy and would rather talk about helmets.
    Last edited by BKDRAFT; 12-24-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Look at all the negative posts. Wow. No wonder there are not a lot of new brothers posting on here. You guys are too funny. Me get a life because I posted a video of someone donning a BA? These must be all those who can't done one in under a minute. Where did I say this is a great firefighter because he dons his ba in less than 30 seconds? This is a great "back to the basics" training topic. I posted it in this forum because there is not a training forum. I thought this was the most applicable. I guess you all were more busy and would rather talk about helmets.
    To me simply donning the ba like that is a pointless exercise unless you arrive on scene bunkered out and have to retrieve an scba from a compartment to don. I always thought the better drill would be start outside the rig in uniform, get bunkered, enter the rig and put on your scba, exit the rig and don your mask and breath from the tank.

I missed it FFFred...where did he take his gloves off? I saw him pull them off his strap to put them on...

Good video though.

These donning exercises not about real world, they are aboout being familiar, comfortable, and proficient with equipment.

Maybe we could cut him some slack. How many guys on your job are more intersted in how fast they can hit the recliner than how fast and proficient they can perform a job task. It always bothers me when I am sitting at the front door waiting for someone to mask up when they should be just as quick and proficient with their gear. I agree it isnt the most real world drill shown, but having a good feel for your equipment is never a bad thing.

Forum Member

this may not be as useful to the career guys who are on the engines/trucks and have time to pack up on the ride to the scene but when you are a volunteer FD with one full timer per station per shift, having volunteers who can show up and be packed up and ready to go ASAP can be a life saver
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

MembersZone Subscriber

Default scba

Did you ever think you might have to put the scba on in this fashion when you were sitting in Rehab and just heard your friend fell through the floor. By putting the scba on many times gets one used to a certain order of donning. If there is a problem then a firefighter knows what to check.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did any of you take into account that new LAFD rigs no longer have SCBA in the cabs (last I knew and saw), making this a typical gear up process....

Another version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XcmqP9KOI

These guys decided to do and show us something that might work for some of somewhere....rather than consume oxygen in a La-z-boy recliner or video tape their blue lights....it might not be your preferred cup of tea, but its another trick and if nothing else, these guys are doing something productive.
    Last edited by MG3610; 12-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Donning all your protective equipment without wasteing time is important. But having it on completely and properly is essential. If it takes one of my less experienced guys an extra 5-6-7 seconds I'd rather he take it and be properly protected when we go in harms way.
    Yes we might have to put a pack on this way quickly..but by the time we do the RIT ( that we always have ) will already be entering the building.
    3610...I like that one
    Last edited by len1582; 12-23-2008 at 09:55 PM.

I dunno.

I thought it was fun to watch.

Glad to see they are interested in what they are doing and are having fun with it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at all the negative posts. Wow. No wonder there are not a lot of new brothers posting on here. You guys are too funny. Me get a life because I posted a video of someone donning a BA? These must be all those who can't done one in under a minute. Where did I say this is a great firefighter because he dons his ba in less than 30 seconds? This is a great "back to the basics" training topic. I posted it in this forum because there is not a training forum. I thought this was the most applicable. I guess you all were more busy and would rather talk about helmets.
    Who the hell do you think you're talking too? Most of the guys who responded to your idiotic post have more time backing into quarters than you have in the FD, son.

I could teach my 13 yoa daughter to put an SCBA on in less than a minute. She is quite intelligent and athletic. But any similarity to her being a FF ends there. When I am sitting at the front door, I wouldn't mind wiating a few seconds for a good FF. He may be taking a little extra time sizing up the situation and developing a plan that may just save my ***. I'll say it again. It matters more what the FF does after he gets the SCBA on his back.

Your initial post lectured us that we needed motivation to learn how to get dressed fasrter. You tacitly lionized this kid. Then you got spanked.

Accept it. Deal with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fddd160 View Post
    Did you ever think you might have to put the scba on in this fashion when you were sitting in Rehab and just heard your friend fell through the floor. By putting the scba on many times gets one used to a certain order of donning. If there is a problem then a firefighter knows what to check.
    No, I didn't.

If I was in Rehab, I would know that there was a RIT in place that was ready to deal with that prospect. I would make sure that my rehab was complete and then rejion my unit and get assigned. I wouldn't jump into my SCBA like I was Superman and freelance my way into the rescue. That's a good way to end up as a second victim.

That was pretty impressive, but I'd like to see him do that with MSA with a waist mounted regulator in 29 sec. The hose had to be as tight as possible to the regulator too.

Im sure there is someone faster out there but this was just damn impressive.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information