Forum Member

Default Delaware City, De. Lodd- Ff/emt *murdered!*

I can't believe no one has posted anything about this as of yet.....This is from TSL/firefighterclosecalls.com:

In what continues to unfold as an absolutely incredible story related to the horrific Line of Duty Death of Delaware City (DE) Firefighter Michelle Smith... the criminal circumstances only gets worse.

As you already know, the motorcycle crash occurred on Route 13 southbound on Saturday evening. The operator of the bike, Edward Reiss, was injured in the incident and was lying in the roadway. A Delaware City Fire Company ambulance (standing by to cover that area for the Wilmington manor Fire Company) arrived on the scene within minutes and DCFC FF Michelle Smith got out of the ambulance, ran over to Mr. Reiss and began to administer care. A New Castle County Police Officer then arrived on the scene and activates him emergency equipment.
    Moments later, the 2004 BMW 760 traveling southbound on Route 13 entered the crash scene and sideswiped the county police car causing significant damage. The Police officer leaped back into his car just prior to the impact and avoids injury. The BMW, operated by veteran criminal Joseph Taye, 28, of Bear, loses control and strikes Smith and Reiss. The BMW comes to a stop on the right shoulder south of the crash scene.

At that point, a light colored Honda, possibly an Accord, pulls up to the crash scene. The operator of the Honda, an unidentified black male, ACTUALLY HELPS TAYE into the Honda (Taye is unable to walk himself) and the Honda subsequently flees the scene. Witnesses describe the fleeing Honda and also advised that the operator of the BMW was a black male...with an obvious physical impairment/disability.

Officers, Troopers and New Castle County Police officers, respond to the BMW registered owners address....the car was apparently not Tayes. Through outstanding police investigative practices, the name of Joseph Taye comes up. It is learned that Taye was a black male with a physical impairment. Back at the crash scene, evidence technicians process the BMW and locate a finger print which ultimately proves to be a positive match for Taye.

Tragically, yesterday, Monday, December 22nd, Ms. Smith succumbs to her injuries and is pronounced dead at Christiana Hospital. Her death is Line of Duty.

During the evening hours of December 22nd, detectives complete arrest warrants for Taye. Troopers respond to Tayes home in Bear and take him into custody without incident. Taye is arraigned on the following offenses: Manslaughter, Assault 2nd, Driving while Revoked, Leaving the Scene of a Crash and Failure to Report a Crash. Bail is set at $30,000.00 only (yeah-we know) and Mr. Taye is committed to the Howard Young Correctional Institute.

As you know, this case is still very much active. Investigators are seeking to identify the operator of the Honda that fled the scene of the crash with Taye in the car. We have no doubt that they will get Tayes "partners in crime"...

FF Michelle L. Smith has served the Delaware City Fire Company http://www.dcfc15.com/ and the
    Delaware City Ladies Auxiliary for over 5 years, holding the Secretary position with the Ladies Auxiliary. She also served with the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown, DE: http://www.vhc27.com/. Michelle is survived by her 12 year old daughter. Again, our condolences to all affected, the members of the Delaware City, Wilmington Manor Fire Companies and VHC of Middletown but especially her family, her daughter and her friends.

Kudos to the Delaware State and the New Castle County Police involved in this bizarre case for the outstanding police work done so far as they continue to hunt for Tayes accomplices.
    More to follow....
    Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
    BillyG
    The Secret List 12-23-08 / 1741 hours
    www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

Forum Member

A real shame.
    Even though the PD wants to keep traffic flowing, it's because of things like this I feel rigs should be positioned to restrict, or even block, the flow of traffic near emergency operations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    A real shame.
    Even though the PD wants to keep traffic flowing, it's because of things like this I feel rigs should be positioned to restrict, or even block, the flow of traffic near emergency operations.
    Police were not to blame on this one.....They had just arrived when this occurred with one cruiser.

MembersZone Subscriber

RIP Michelle.

I hope they hang em' high on the courthouse lawn. Him and his partner.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    RIP Michelle.

I hope they hang em' high on the courthouse lawn. Him and his partner.
    That would be too good for the scumbags

Banned

I just saw this a few moments ago. It is a true tragedy. My guess is the guy was probably also drunk or high. But as len1582 points out, this is why you block the scene with apparatus.

My prayers and thoughts are with the family of Michelle. Let's hope all learn from this. Screw the traffic, block access with your vehicles.

Hanging would be to good for this slimeball. I'm sure we can come up with something more appropriate.

Forum Member

Firefighter Michelle Smith Funeral Details & 12 year old Daughter Trust Fund Donation Information
    The Secret List www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

The Delaware City Fire Company has announced the Line of Duty Death services for Firefighter Michelle Smith, 29, who passed away Monday, December 22nd. Services for Michelle are being coordinated by Department Officers and Members, State Fire Chief's Association members, and the National Fallen Firefighter's Foundation Local Assistance State Team. In respect for the holidays and the family's wishes, we have scheduled the services appropriately.

The viewing will be held on Sunday, January 4th, from 1500 hours until 1900 hours, at the Delaware City Fire Company Memorial Hall, 815 Fifth Street, Delaware City, DE 19706. The services will be held on Monday, January 5th, at 1000 hours, at the Delaware City Fire Company Memorial Hall, 815 Fifth Street, Delaware City, DE 19706. The firefighters honors and procession will immediately commence and continue to the internment being held at Odd Fellows Cemetery, 420 S. DuPont Blvd., Smyrna, DE 19977.

Michelle is survived by her 12 year old daughter, Emily. A trust fund has been set up in Emily's name for donations. The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Emily A. Burge Trust Fund, c/o Delaware City Fire Company, PO Box 251, 815 Fifth Street, Delaware City, DE 19706, or donations may be made directly to the Delaware City Fire Company.

Fire Companies or agencies wishing to participate in the ceremonies should limit their participation to one apparatus. Apparatus and personnel should plan to report to the staging area (to be determined) by 9 am on Monday, January 5th. Details will follow early next week concerning the particulars of the ceremony. Please check their website, www.dcfc15.com , for up to date information.
    Take Care,
    BillyG
    The Secret List 12-24-08 / 0837 hours

Forum Member

Such a tragedy and I truly hope these two morons get their just rewards.

Delaware City, De. Lodd- Ff/emt *murdered!*

Taye is arraigned on the following offenses: Manslaughter, Assault 2nd, Driving while Revoked, Leaving the Scene of a Crash and Failure to Report a Crash

I would just be a bit careful with the murdered part. I'm no expert, but I believe for murder there has to be some type of intent and he wasn't charged with murder. Manslaughter. yes, guilty in my book. yes, idiot. absolutely, criminal. yes, just would had to show murder. Just IMO
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...WS01/812240351

Suspect involved in similar Md. crash
    Police think paraplegic used stick to drive car
    By TERRI SANGINITI The News Journal December 24, 2008

A year ago, paraplegic Joseph M. Taye Jr. was involved in a hit-and-run crash in Maryland that left two women injured, one seriously.

When Elkton police found the wrecked silver 2004 BMW after that late-night crash Nov. 30, 2007, they discovered "a 4-foot-long, skinny wooden stick in the rear seat," according to the police report.

Delaware state police found a similar stick Saturday, inside the same silver 2004 BMW, after a crash on U.S. 13 that killed Delaware City firefighter Michelle Smith.

In both crashes, investigators suspect Taye was using the stick to operate the brake and gas pedals of the car, which was not equipped with hand controls or other adaptive devices that would allow a person whose legs are paralyzed to drive. Taye's driver's license had been revoked.

"It's only a hunch, but it's plausible," said Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh, a state police spokesman. "We are looking into that possibility and we have yet to determine if the evidence gathered will support that theory."

Police say there was only one person in the BMW, which was abandoned at the crash scene Saturday. State police found the wooden stick by the open right front passenger door, according to court records.

Alcoholic beverage bottles were in the front passenger area and a wheelchair was in the rear seat, police said in court records. Fingerprints taken from the car matched Taye's, Whitmarsh said.

Taye, 28, who lives in the 600 block of Belgian Drive in Rolling Meadows in Bear, was charged late Monday with manslaughter, second-degree assault, driving while revoked, leaving the scene of a crash and failure to report a crash in the Saturday night accident that killed Smith and left 30-year-old motorcyclist Edward Reiss hospitalized in critical condition. Smith had been tending to Reiss, who was involved in another crash minutes earlier, when she and Reiss were struck by the BMW.

Taye was released from Young Correctional Institution Tuesday after posting $37,000 bail.

Shooting caused paralysis
    Taye was paralyzed from the waist down in July 2005 after he was shot in an attack outside a bar in the Big Elk Mall in Elkton.

Taye has a lengthy criminal record in Maryland and a May 2005 conviction in Delaware for firearm possession by a person prohibited and resisting arrest, according to court records.

In the November 2007 hit-and-run, Elkton police have not proven that Taye was driving the car.

Elkton police Lt. Matthew Donnelly said the crash there bears similarities to the one near New Castle.

"There was a stick in the car and we believe that [Taye] might have been driving with it," Donnelly said. "He obviously wasn't going to admit that he was driving."

A witness told police that she saw a man crawling out of the car and thought he was injured.

Taye's girlfriend initially told police she was driving the car before changing her story and telling the officer her boyfriend was at the wheel, according to the police report.

The victims of that hit-and-run said the BMW made a left turn in front of them at the intersection of Augustine Herman Highway and Whitehall Road. One victim suffered a broken collarbone while the other, Cristal Pulgini, 28, lost her front teeth, suffered a broken nose, five fractures to her face and a tear in her cornea, her mother, Carol Pulgini, said.

Cristal Pulgini has undergone eight surgeries to her mouth and eye.

"We were more fortunate," Carol Pulgini said. "At least she wasn't a fatality. That's why our hearts go out to the Smith family."

Elkton police charged Taye with failure to immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of an accident involving bodily injury and driving with a revoked license.

At an Oct. 17 court hearing, the state couldn't prove that Taye was driving the car and stayed the case, Pulgini said.

"We have been fighting this for a year," Pulgini said. "I told them, 'What are you waiting for, for him to kill somebody? Then it's going to be too late.' "

Calls to Cecil County Deputy State's Attorney Michael Halter or to Taye's defense attorney, Edward Rollins III, were not returned Tuesday.

Delaware state police continue searching for a light-colored Honda Accord seen pulling up at the scene minutes after the crash, Whitmarsh said.

The Honda driver helped Taye into his car and took off, leaving the BMW at the crash scene.

Police are asking anyone with information on the driver's identity to call detectives at Troop 2 at 834-2620, ext. 0, or Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333.

Contact Terri Sanginiti at 324-2771 or tsanginiti@delawareonline.com.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Police were not to blame on this one.....They had just arrived when this occurred with one cruiser.
    I didn't mean to imply the police on scene were at fault in any way. I was just making a general statement about a topic ( protecting emergency workers at accident scenes ) I know has been discussed here a few times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply the police on scene were at fault in any way. I was just making a general statement about a topic ( protecting emergency workers at accident scenes ) I know has been discussed here a few times.
    10-4..........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Such a tragedy and I truly hope these two morons get their just rewards.

Delaware City, De. Lodd- Ff/emt *murdered!*

Taye is arraigned on the following offenses: Manslaughter, Assault 2nd, Driving while Revoked, Leaving the Scene of a Crash and Failure to Report a Crash

I would just be a bit careful with the murdered part. I'm no expert, but I believe for murder there has to be some type of intent and he wasn't charged with murder. Manslaughter. yes, guilty in my book. yes, idiot. absolutely, criminal. yes, just would had to show murder. Just IMO
    You say tomatoe, I say tomotoe.....It is quite apparent that the scumbag was operating the vehicle with no regard to the safety of others. This was proven by the callous act of his leaving the scene. (the "getaway driver" was no better and should be charged with accessory.) Hence, said scumbag should be charged with MURDER. He maliciously and without care or thought took the life of another individual.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Murder??? Hell, Yes!!!

Title 11, Delaware Code...

636. Murder in the first degree; class A felony.

(a) A person is guilty of murder in the first degree when:

(1) The person intentionally causes the death of another person;

(2) While engaged in the commission of, or attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit any felony, the person recklessly causes the death of another person.

(3) The person intentionally causes another person to commit suicide by force or duress;

(4) The person recklessly causes the death of a law-enforcement officer, corrections employee or fire fighter while such officer is in the lawful performance of duties;

(5) The person causes the death of another person by the use of or detonation of any bomb or similar destructive device;

(6) The person causes the death of another person in order to avoid or prevent the lawful arrest of any person, or in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted commission of escape in the second degree or escape after conviction.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/...tml#P511_40017

Forum Member

Very sad.

I lived in New Castle DE for many years for job reasons and knew the area well. While i was living there in 2001, a female state trooper was killed (Corporal Francis Collender) while rendering aid to a motorist. So this reminded me of that.

I have the utmost respect for any and all of these brave people who make a choice in life to help others and then make the ultimate sacrifice. There are so many safer and higher paying jobs in this world that are often much easier to obtain then Police/Fire/EMS positions which only makes me respect them that much more. In this case, it was a volunteer no less!

I have dozens of friends in the Fire service and Law Enforcement and when i hear about the risks and danger they endure for what is in my opinion way too little money, i often feel guilty for how much i make. But my respect of them is great.

I hope this scumbag gets life in prison and the POS who helped him should join him there. I am ****ed he was even given bail let alone so little. How can a repeat offender be allowed to go free?

And ill use this post to thank all of you members on this site who do so much for your communities and often do not get the respect you truly deserve. Thank you all.

Forum Member

Hopefully, the next person who takes a shot at the skell will have much better aim...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    Title 11, Delaware Code...

636. Murder in the first degree; class A felony.

(a) A person is guilty of murder in the first degree when:

(1) The person intentionally causes the death of another person;

(2) While engaged in the commission of, or attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit any felony, the person recklessly causes the death of another person.

(3) The person intentionally causes another person to commit suicide by force or duress;

(4) The person recklessly causes the death of a law-enforcement officer, corrections employee or fire fighter while such officer is in the lawful performance of duties;

(5) The person causes the death of another person by the use of or detonation of any bomb or similar destructive device;

(6) The person causes the death of another person in order to avoid or prevent the lawful arrest of any person, or in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted commission of escape in the second degree or escape after conviction.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/...tml#P511_40017
    Laws are different everywhere, your there I'm not, so thanks for the update. Whatever he is charged with, hopefully he goes away for a looooong time.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Default Un-fu*&ing BELIEVABLE!

Hey...
    Just when you thought the circumstances related to the horrific hit and run Line of Duty Death of Delaware City (DE) Firefighter Michelle Smith couldn't get any worse...it does. This isn't the first time that career criminal Joseph Taye was involved in a hit and run....why, just one year ago, the paraplegic Taye...yeah, paraplegic... (Taye was paralyzed from the waist down in July 2005 when he was shot outside a bar) was involved in another previous hit and run crash in Maryland that left two women injured, one seriously. When police found the wrecked silver 2004 BMW after that late-night crash Nov. 30, 2007, they discovered a 4 foot wood stick in the rear seat area.

Incredibly but I guess, not surprisingly for a career criminal, Delaware State Police found a stick just like the other "I drive because I WANT to -- stick" last Saturday, inside the same BMW, after that crash that killed Firefighter Smith in the Line of Duty. In both crashes, the cops think that career criminal Taye was using that stick to operate the brake and gas pedals...the BMW was not even equipped with handicapped devices that would allow a person, career criminal or not, whose legs are paralyzed, to drive. Even one with a suspended license.

You see...Criminal Taye blew off the law and drove anyway-because he must have simply "wanted to"..even though his driver's license had been revoked.
    But he really didn't care.
    He had places to go.
    People to see.
    And a Firefighter to kill.
    Well, not intentionally some might say. Well if he didn't intentionally obey the law, then he intentionally broke it. Sounds like we are being too rough?
    He could have killed you.
    Your family.
    Your kid.
    More Firefighters.
    He killed a kids Mom who happened to be a Firefighter.
    Get the picture?
    Being too rough? Criminal Taye roughly shot his middle finger up at anyone who obeys law.

Cops say there was only one person in that BMW last Saturday night, which was abandoned at the crash scene after Criminal Taye ran down FF Smith....and they found a wooden stick by the open right front passenger door. And now, this one will shock you: they also found booze bottles in the front seat and a wheelchair was in the back seat. And believe it or not, Criminal Tayes fingerprints were found in the car! How did he get away? He can't walk. Well...someone in a Honda pulled up and drove Criminal Taye away.
    From the scene.
    With a critically injured Firefighter laying there.
    Someone just picked up criminal Taye and drove away.
    Just like that.

On Monday, Taye was charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, driving while his license was revoked, leaving the scene of a crash and failure to report a crash in the Saturday night accident that killed FF Smith and left 30-year-old biker Edward Reiss in critical condition.

Very unfortunately, Taye was then released from Delaware's Young Correctional Institution on Tuesday after posting a measly $37,000 bail, just in time for Christmas. Did we mention that career Criminal Taye has a criminal record dating way back to 1998, which includes charges of assault, resisting arrest, marijuana possession, possession of a firearm, resisting arrest and traffic violations? Yep...he follows the rules all right-...no real obvious in-your-face reasons that HE should remain behind bars after killing a Firefighter, are there?

Like it or not, Criminal Taye has his freedom for now. Think he could very potentially find a new stick and get someone to help him go cruising on the highways again? What are the odds of THAT happening...again? It would probably be wise for everyone to stay of the roads in Delaware for a while. Why didn't the judge think of what Criminal Taye might do to repeat history, again? Who will be Criminal Tayes next victim as he flips off the law and goes stick-cruiz'n. The judge should have thought of that. Some judge.

Who will be Criminal Tayes next victim? While Criminal Taye decides where and how he wants to travel next, the remains of the late Firefighter Michelle Smith awaits the members of her family and the Delaware City Fire Company to prepare for her burial.
    Some trade off.
    Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
    BillyG
    The Secret List 12-26-08 / 1400 hours

The perp needs to die by lead poisoning, and the judge needs to be strung up by his balls.

Forum Member

Default [b]breaking News From Tsl: Finally!!!!![/b]

BREAKING NEWS FROM TSL:

Troopers from the Collision Reconstruction Unit at Troop 2 formally charged Joseph Taye, 28, of Bear approximately one hour ago with Murder in the first degree. This charge was upgraded from Manslaughter due to Michelle Smith of the Delaware City (DE) Fire Company losing her life while performing her duties. Edward Reiss' injuries (the motorcyclist she was treating) charge of Assault 2nd was changed to Assault 1st due to the severity of Mr. Reiss' injuries. The charges of Driving while Revoked, Leaving the Scene of a Crash and Failure to Report a Crash remained the same.

Mr. Taye was committed to Howard Young Correctional Institute without bail.

This case is still very much active. Investigators are seeking to identify the operator of the Honda as well as locating that particular vehicle that fled the scene of the crash with Taye in the car.

At the time of this release, Mr.Reiss is still in Christiana Hospital in stable but serious condition.

Take care-BE CAREFUL
    BillyG
    The Secret List 12-30-08 / 2030 hours

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Murder charge in firefighter's death

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...2310356/0/NEWS

Murder charge in firefighter's death
    Joseph M. Taye Jr. re-arrested, being held without bail
    By TERRI SANGINITI The News Journal December 31, 2008

A man allegedly involved in a hit-and-run crash last week that injured a motorcyclist and killed a Delaware City firefighter has been charged with murder.

State police detectives Tuesday re-arrested Joseph M. Taye Jr., 28, of the 600 block of Belgian Drive, Bear, charging him with first-degree murder in the death of 30-year-old Michelle Smith and first-degree assault for injuries to motorcyclist Edward Reiss, 30, of New Castle, who Smith was helping at the scene of a Dec. 20 accident.

Those charges, announced late Tuesday, were upgraded from the less serious charges of manslaughter and second-degree assault Taye initially faced when he was arrested and jailed last week.

Taye, who also faces charges of driving with a revoked license, leaving the scene of a crash and failing to report a crash, initially posted his $37,000 bail and was released the day after his arrest. He now is being held without bail on the new charges in Young Correctional Institution.

Cpl. Gary Fournier, a state police spokesman, said the state attorney general reviewed the original manslaughter charges and upgraded them to murder, because Taye recklessly caused Smith's death while she was "performing her official duty." Delaware law permits the first-degree murder charge in cases where a law-enforcement officer, corrections employee or firefighter is killed in the line of duty.

A spokesman for the attorney general's office would not explain why Taye was not charged originally with first-degree murder, based on that law, saying the office does not comment on pending cases.

Reiss, who suffered severe internal injuries, remains hospitalized in Christiana Hospital in serious but stable condition, Fournier said.

According to police, Taye was at the wheel of his girlfriend's 2004 silver BMW on Dec. 20, driving south at a high speed on U.S. 13, when he sideswiped a marked county police car stationed at the scene of a motorcycle crash Reiss was involved in.

He allegedly lost control of the car and plowed into Reiss and Smith, who was on the ground attending to Reiss' injuries.

Taye then reportedly stopped the BMW on the right shoulder of the highway beyond the crash site, where a light-colored Honda Accord pulled alongside the BMW. A passenger in the Honda allegedly pulled Taye, who is paraplegic, out of the BMW and put him in the Honda, and sped away, police said.

Detectives still are searching for the Honda and the occupants.

Smith, the mother of a 12-year-old daughter and a volunteer firefighter for the Delaware City and the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown fire companies, was taken to Christiana Hospital, where she died two days later.

A viewing for Smith is scheduled for Sunday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Delaware City Fire Company Memorial Hall, 815 Fifth St., Delaware City.

Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Monday in the fire hall immediately followed by a firefighter honor ceremony and procession to Smyrna's Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Taye is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Jan. 9 in New Castle County Municipal Court.

According to police records in Elkton, Md., Taye is suspected of driving the same silver BMW in a Nov. 30, 2007, hit-and-run crash that injured two women, one seriously.

In the wreckage of that accident, police recovered a 4-foot-long, thin wooden stick, which Taye apparently used to operate the gas and brake pedals because he is paralyzed from the waist down.

Police said the vehicle was not equipped for a handicapped driver.

Taye, meanwhile, was not allowed to be driving because his driver's license is revoked in Delaware.

Contact Terri Sanginiti at 324-2771 or tsanginiti@delawareonline.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

I surely hope your justice system prevails or maybe "prison justice" will kick in. Up here, the absolute worst he would face is Criminal Negligence Causing Death which after the lawyers got done with deprived childhood,handicap, race, he'd be lucky to do 5 years.My thoughts and prayers to family and colleagues.

Thread Information