Forum Member

Exclamation Junior Looking for New Turnout Gear

hello again everyone 17 and in a few short months i will be going through the Firefighter 1 course and the gear in which im using is almost as old as i am (issued in 1992) would never live up to OSHA regulations and i will never be able to complete the course..and the way our company works it is you get company issued turnout gear after your completion of the mandated FF1 course. I love my volunteer work and would love to continue to do it. so what im asking is where can i pick up a set of gear that that is OSHA compliant that is cheep? I do have a Job, I work at the local McDonalds but only making 7.50 an hour plus paying for my car wont cut it for a set of turnout gear listed at market value of over $1,000 dollars

I also run a website called Firefighters United
    www.webs.com/firefightersunited

please check it out and tell me what you think

on my website i am also collecting donations for firefighters who are less fortunate during this holiday season my goal is to collect 500 and distribute it during the holiday season

Thank you so much.
    Michael

Engine 5

Forum Member

If your gear is that old then it should be no longer used. As far as going through FF1 you should be fine this is something to check in with your Chief and or your County Fire Coordinator, I know that our Coordinator is very knowledgeable on issues such as this so one of those two should be able to give you a straight answer as to whether the old gear will be able to get you through the course, As far a a cheap set of gear goes i would not be able to help you. But Before you go invest in a set of gear talk to your chief or the County Fire Coordinator.

Forum Member

I have been amazed at some of the great deal you can find on Ebay and through "Deal" racks and many fire shops.

I regulary see brand new Globe, Morning Pride, Carins, Fire Dex and many other brands brand new on Ebay going for well under retail price. And in alot of the cases, they have "Buy It Now" options so you don't even have to bid.

I just went on Ebay now and typed in "Globe Turnout" and there are complete turnout setups in excellent condition going for less then $200. There are half a dozen BRAND NEW Globe Bunker pants with "Buy It Now" for $150.00 and there are two BRAND NEW Globe G-Xtreme turnouts with all the popular options with "Buy It Now" pricing at $445.00. Those prices are insaneley cheap.

And the majority of the brand new gear is actually being sold by dealers. So you can call these places and get great customer service. The rest is mostly other Fireman selling the stuff. Check the feedback and you should have no issues. There is a guy on there who a few months back was selling Globe, Fire Dex and Fyrepel ARFF pants and jackets brand new for as little as $10.00 each, no joke. He still has some items up,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fyrepel-ARFF-Tur...A1%7C294%3A100

But check his history. He has sold dozens of jackets and pants for $10-$20. If your budget is really tight, just look for one of the many auctions selling a complete, matching set. There are lots of great deals on structural gear. Even if the stuff is real dirty, just send it out to be cleaned. And places like 911clean.com can not only clean gear, but make repairs and modifications.

Another place to check out is:

http://www.bergeronprotectiveclothing.com/catalog/34

Lots of brand new gear for cheap prices. My local shop here is a Securitex Dealer and he has dozens of setups for hundreds of retail.

Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gear that old can be used for training that does not involve live fire. I live in KY and we are an IFSAC state and FF1 does not do a live fire evolution best I remember so you may be able to get through your class without having to buy any gear and then get issued gear. Much better than spending money for gear.

Forum Member

I would hold on before buying new gear, just because the gear is older doesnít mean that it canít be used in your upcoming FF1 class. If the gear is in relatively good condition structurally, there should be no issues. Also, something to think about.. When my city runs a probie school we issue old turnouts to new firefighters. The reason being, the hours of rigorous training absolutely destroy the fire gear. After completion of probationary firefighter school the recruits are issued their primary gear. It sounds as if your F.D. has a plan along the same lines. I would hate to see you go out and buy all new gear only to ruin it a few months later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjwagg View Post
    Gear that old can be used for training that does not involve live fire. I live in KY and we are an IFSAC state and FF1 does not do a live fire evolution best I remember so you may be able to get through your class without having to buy any gear and then get issued gear. Much better than spending money for gear.
    Last i knew and this is talking to a guy in the department im a member of here in NY you do have a live fire evolution in FF1

Thread Information