Thread: Voice Amps

Forum Member

Default Voice Amps

We are a paid department will be getting voice amps for our Scott Masks as a part of a grant we will be receiving. My question is how do your agencies assign the amplifiers to personnel? Currently only officers are assigned voice amps and others may purchase and use on their own.

If your department uses them...

-Do you assign each individual their own that they are responsible for and maintain as a part of their regular PPE?

-Are they assigned or passed out at the start of shift to each member?

-Are they assigned to each riding assignment?

Any help is appreciated...Thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not on a career dept, but we keep enough on the trucks for each jump seat. Four on the pumper, two on the tanker, and four in our rescue tanker when it gets delivered. They work really great, only used them in training though. We keep a few extra on the pumper.

Forum Member

Well not sure how Scotts are designed, but if they attach to the mask like our MSA does we issue them to the individual fireman as part of there PPE. The individual is responsible for them, and all our members have them.
    Pere Marquette Fire Department
    "First in Last Out Crew"
    Engine 2911

Forum Member

Currently, no personnel are issued any form of voice amplification for use with SCBA's. It recently came up however and it should be being looked at for at least Officers.

All firefighters are issued their own SCBA face piece and any voice amplification box would be done the same way - ie, each company officer would be assigned one, not one for each company to be swapped out daily.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Volunteer - Each officer riding position and 1 extra.

Career - One for each guy working.

Forum Member

Career

Everyone is issued their own. We have Survivair and I keep mine in the bottom of my gear bag. Poor design, gets hung up on stuff, sounds like an alley cat in heat when you talk through it.
    IAFF

Gone.

We have one engine with four SCBA seats equipped with them. All other apparatus are not equipped with them. We just had one break about a week and a half ago. I don't think we are going to replace it.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=sloppy182;1019702]

VOLUNTEER DEPT
    -Do you assign each individual their own that they are responsible for and maintain as a part of their regular PPE?
    They are issued just as their helmet and they were responsible for it just as anything else. Initially we had enough to go around for the officers and have a spare. Over a short time we have issued them based on seniority. Now, you have to make probation before you get issued one.

-Are they assigned or passed out at the start of shift to each member?
    Assigned to the individual until they leave the department.
    -Are they assigned to each riding assignment?
    no, see above
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We're a volunteer dept and we issue one to each member as part of their PPE. I know of a few departments in the area that only issue them to officers though, never understood the reasoning behind this since officers arent the only ones who need to talk
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Can't use a voice amp without a face piece. We issue the voice amp to the face piece. If the masks are on the truck the voice amp is on the mask. If the masks are assigned to to the individuals then they are on the masks.

It is part of the SCBA and is checked daily along with the SCBA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mdtaylor View Post
    Can't use a voice amp without a face piece. We issue the voice amp to the face piece. If the masks are on the truck the voice amp is on the mask. If the masks are assigned to to the individuals then they are on the masks.

It is part of the SCBA and is checked daily along with the SCBA.
    +1
    Volunteer Dept.
    MSA MMR masks - all masks have voice amp.

All senior* FF's have issued masks with their PPE - all packs on every rig also have a mask for use by junior* FF's, Mutual Aid members or in the event of a problem with an issued mask.

(As a side note - all members are fit tested and all masks are stored in color coded mask bags based on size. Pretty much everyone takes a medium but we have 1 large & 1 small in the general use collection in case anyone happens to need it.)

* For the purposes of this post - the terms senior and junior reference a members experience & longevity of service NOT age.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue2947 View Post
    Well not sure how Scotts are designed, but if they attach to the mask like our MSA does we issue them to the individual fireman as part of there PPE. The individual is responsible for them, and all our members have them.
    FX Co is the same way, both career and vollie. Each of us was issued one as part of our PPE, and when I left NoVA, it went back to Logistics with everything else.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

All of our masks(MSA) are equiped with an amplifier and a HUD. All members that are FFI are issued their own mask. Officers are issued their own radio and everyone else grabs the truck radios. We have one for every riding position
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Career department using Scott. We're each issued our own masks, but only company officers are issued the amplifiers. They work fairly well, biggest problem for ours is forgetting to turn them off, or having the switch get bumped in the truck turning it on, and running the batteries down.

Other than that I've liked it pretty well.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Career department, everyone is issued a voice amp along with their mask, it's their responsibility to keep track of it. Only time anyone ever misplaces it is when they are washing their mask, because that seems to be the only time anyone removes it. To second the above poster, it is very common to bump the button to turn them on and then have your amp be out of batteries when you need it. Most engines have a few extra batteries in the cab in case this happens.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to figure out how I should assign them once we place them in service. Thanks again!

Forum Member

We have voice amps assigned to the rigs and you swap them at the beginning of shifts just like portable radios. That would be alot of voice amps if you issued them to everyone as opposed to just the apparatus.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

On my career FD every firefighter is assigned their own MSA mask with a voice amplifier.

On my volly FD everry firefighter is asigned their own Scott mask with a voice amplifier.

On both FD's it is the job of the firefighter to do the checks on the amplifier to make sure it works and to replace the battery as needed.

Forum Member

They break a lot.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

We also just received Scott voice amps from grant money. Each FF was issued their own and is responsible for it.

Forum Member

i am a fulltime firemedic and we are issued our own masks and each one has a voice amp on it. We all use them.

Back In Black

I'm surprised this is getting funded through grant money.

Not knocking your department at all, I mean from a larger, more global perspective.

I guess nothing else was a priority?

We have them on the masks of a few of our pieces (SCBA). They are nice, but if you leave it turned on, the battery dies.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

Not knocking your department at all, I mean from a larger, more global perspective.

We have them on the masks of a few of our pieces (SCBA). They are nice, but if you leave it turned on, the battery dies.
    If you have FG approx the max/SCBA you have enough for voice amps (at least if buying Scott).

New Scott voice amp shuts off after 30min of no breath/air/voice sounds. Near dummy proof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

It's a part of the grant. All SCBA's and Masks are being replaced.

Forum Member

All personnel is issued a locker. Every locker is assigned a number and that number is put on your issued face piece and voice amplifier with a metal adhesive sticker. By doing this you can keep track and accountability of whos is whos and no one can go into someone else locker and take what is not theirs.

Thread Information