MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation DoD Fire Certs... Where and how to get them

To any and all DoD Current Firefighters...

I am seeking information on how to get my certifcation as a DoD Firefighter and EMT. I currently am an Ohio Firefighter 1 and an EMT-Basic in Ohio as well...Former Navy Corpsman and shipboard firefighter. Where do i go? Who do I talk to and what can I expect?

Any and all information will be very helpful and apreciated.

Thanks again...Happy holidays and Hopefully I will see you all on the roof.

Forum Member

Default DOD Certs

Well if your certs are IFSAC certs than you can convert them to DOD certs when you get hired. If you want a DOD certs than you need get enrolled into the DOD cert program. The only way I know how to do that is have a DOD department training chief enroll you in to the system. As far as EMT is concern as long as you are nationally certed or have the state cert for the state that you are working in than you should be fine.

Sorry I couldn't be much Help.

Forum Member

I don't believe Ohio accepts IFSAC or Pro Board certs, so you would have to go out of state to get them. If you are close to Pa., the the state and several colleges will train to Pro Board certification level.

Forum Member

www.dodffcerts.com assuming you want your certs from the military.
    FF Robert Hill
    Washington Park, IL
    Scott AFB, IL

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by USAFFF06 View Post
    www.dodffcerts.com assuming you want your certs from the military.
    your link is incorrect.

If you're trying to get DoD equivelent certifications, the website given will not be able to help you.

You cannot purchase DoD certs. You must attend a DoD run course for DoD certs. You can get reciprocity with IFSAC certs (Which are basically DoD certs) but you cannot go to a DoD school without DoD affiliation.

The website www.dodffcert.com will give you the cert lookup, but at that website, you need to provide a last name and last 4 of a SSN of a firefighter who has been awarded DoD certs. The website is nothing more than a lookup and verification of certifications earned by members of the DoD.

Having Shipboard firefighter will not get you any DoD cert.

-Damien
    Last edited by DFurtman; 01-10-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Forum Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    your link is incorrect.

If you're trying to get DoD equivelent certifications, the website given will not be able to help you.

You cannot purchase DoD certs. You must attend a DoD run course for DoD certs. You can get reciprocity with IFSAC certs (Which are basically DoD certs) but you cannot go to a DoD school without DoD affiliation.

The website www.dodffcert.com will give you the cert lookup, but at that website, you need to provide a last name and last 4 of a SSN of a firefighter who has been awarded DoD certs. The website is nothing more than a lookup and verification of certifications earned by members of the DoD.

Having Shipboard firefighter will not get you any DoD cert.

-Damien
    Sorry about that I thought that he went through the DOD fire acadmy in the Navy and wanted to get his certs from military.
    FF Robert Hill
    Washington Park, IL
    Scott AFB, IL

MembersZone Subscriber

The Ohio Fire Academy now issues IFSAC certs, if you have taken any classes there in the past they will issue you new certificates with the IFSAC seal. Also the state of Ohio now honors military training and certs and will issue state cards based on them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wlfd34 View Post
    The Ohio Fire Academy now issues IFSAC certs, if you have taken any classes there in the past they will issue you new certificates with the IFSAC seal. Also the state of Ohio now honors military training and certs and will issue state cards based on them.
    Why thank you very much...did not know that.... I will have to look into that for my certs...

Thread Information