MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation ANY JOBS Around???

Part-time Firefighter 1 and EMT-Basic here in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio...Looking to MOVE TO WARM AREAS...anyone know of any areas hiring with good pay and Firefighter/EMT-B?

MembersZone Subscriber

down here in the low country of south carolina there hiring. pay is low but its a job. weather is warm. mostly 1 man engine crews.

Forum Member

Try 911hotjobs.com...i believe there are several cities in Alabama that do quarterly testing. I've also noticed some postings in S.C. and N.C. I believe Charlotte is having a process soon

MembersZone Subscriber

Try doing a search on www.indeed.com . It searches musltiple job boards at once.
    FTM-PTB

Permanently Removed

Good subsciption site- www.firerecruit.com

Good free site with some jobs- www.governmentjobs.com/display.cfm?SubCatID=1

The State of California is hiring FIRE FIGHTERS. Click on this link and scroll down- http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/exams_title.cfm?

Forum Member

Looking for a job, career EMT or Paramedic position in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia? Take a look at Second Alarmers Rescue Squad (SARS). They have decent pay and awesome benefits. Their trucks are new and they run a lot of calls (10-11k) out of 5 stations. They help with rescue and fire sometimes. See www.sars.org or give 'em a call 215-659-1885

Forum Member

try Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue in Alabama. Good dept., starting pay @$39,500. You would probably have to go through recruit school to get Ala. certified. Not sure about EMT-B.

Forum Member

Default Florida

I recently met a firefighter while on vacation and he worked in Southern Florida not sure exactly what part, and he was mentioning that his department and others near by were actually talking about laying off some guys. That would be a shame for sure. He mentioned that some of the local unions were standing up for there guys and either helping guys close to retirement buy early retirement, and thus keeping more guys on. But not sure exactly where he was in Florida, so might want to try the west coast. Good Luck
    CL

MembersZone Subscriber

The west coast is not in much better shape, although departments are still hiring. LA City is doing a continual recruitment and San Francisco just tested.

Many departments such as Long Beach, Ontario, San Bernadino County and City of Orange have either cancelled, or postponed their plans to hire. Many departments are cutting staffing.

The shotgun approach to hiring usually is very expensive and results in minimal success. Most departments would rather hire a "local" who is vested in the community, rather than someone who has no ties to the area.

The best thing you can do is decide where you want to work, learn the entry level requirements and meet them.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Permanently Removed

BCP pretty much nailed it.

Let me clue you folks in on a little secret most people do not know or refuse to listen to....Get into a system (federal, state, county or city), get established, pay some dues and then transfer over.

What??? Yes, go work for the state of California or Nevada as a Janitor, Dispatcher, Security Guard or EMT. Then, youíre in the federal, state, county or city system and can transfer over to a fire job when the economy gets better and the openings come up. Sometimes people on the inside get the love first. The City of Huntington Beach, CA recently did this with their FF lottery. Current city employees automatically got to bypass the lottery process and go straight to the written!

Moreover, you are making connections and now in the system's retirement program. And guess what, that time on the job credit stays with you. Yep, 2 years of PERS is still good. The state of California has "Career Credit" and people who have them....ta-da... may get preference in hiring and transfers. I have seen numerous Dispatchers move up to full-time FF positions- State of Nevada, OCFA, CAL FIRE to name a few.

City of LA- I have heard stories of people transferring over from Police and other positions to the Fire Department. Makes sense to me- A known, mature, established, valued and vested employee making a uniform change and getting trained saving the city a lot of money in testing, background check and interview time.

9 out of 10 people will be too selective and not listen to what I just wrote. Thatís fine, my entire career I have seen people not listen and then wonder why the other guy took a chance and now has a badge? Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Want a starting point- The state of Nevada is currently hiring for Seasonal FF 1 and 2. I have already posted the link in here and not going to spoon feed people in here again. Find the post, the link and apply online. What a great way to get into the system, get in their PERS, get known and then go full-time.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-28-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information