Forum Member

Default Grant amendment/excess funds

I have approximately 2700 left from a FO grant from SCBA's. I called our regional rep to tell him I had extra money and outlined some items I needed. Maskbags, class A foam, 2 1/2 nozzles, and an AED. He tole me I would probaly be okay just spending the excess funds but to just do a grant amendment. I did an amendment as best I know how and today I got word it was denied. I got an email saying to do a fund request and then fax the reciepts in. Didnt say anything other than that. What exactally does this mean and how can I spend the excess funds?

MembersZone Subscriber

You should rely upon the Grants Management Branch Point of Contact, assigned to your Project, for technical assistance. THe Regional Reps. can be helpful, but the Grant Award document gives the name and phone number of your POC. I would do nothing without being assured that it is proper, and with that assurance being in writing, by the POC.

Spending excess funds to enhance the scope of the original project should be permitted. Amending the project to non SCBA related equipment is probably the problem. I would try for the mask bags, masks for indiviuals, a fit test machine, or other breathing air equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

In addition to the scope of the project, I would worry about the Class A foam. If I understand right, that would be supplies, and not be allowed.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are allowed to expend up to $5K of cost savings on items to "increase the scope of the project, just rmember you are still repsonsible for your matching share of those pruchases.. That being said if it was an SCBA project stick with SCBA stuff. Now mind you; you cannot use it to buy another set of SCBA but , RIT tools etc., fit tester are all within the scope and technically you do not have to file an amendment but, I advise everyone to "get it in writing" just as you were advised above. If they talk to you by phone and say it OK then send an email and ask for a confirmation of the phone conversation and SAVE that emai to prove you had permission if you have to at a later date. It never hurts to call your POC for clarification as he stated above.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503 View Post
    I would try for the mask bags, masks for indiviuals, a fit test machine, or other breathing air equipment.
    AC is right on the money here. You're better off spending the money extending the original purpose of the grant. The fit-tester is a great idea, as are protective bags and individual masks. This way you can spend up to $5000 without the amendment.

I'm bogged down with an amendment which is caught-up in some kind of computer glitch which AFG says will take a few more weeks to rectify. They've "told" me that the amandment is approved, and to purchase the Fire Prevention items specified, but so far nothing is in writing... I'm moving forward on this, but it's making me nervous...
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Default hummm

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    AC is right on the money here. You're better off spending the money extending the original purpose of the grant. The fit-tester is a great idea, as are protective bags and individual masks. This way you can spend up to $5000 without the amendment.
    Yea im already getting a RIT pack. Guess I could get individual masks. Just wish I could get some nozzles that I do not have...I didnt ask for them in the grant due to the fact that I didnt want to impact our chances on the SCBA. I understand what you said about foam....good piont I hadnt thought about. I may just wait till the SCBAs are bought...fax in the invoice and beg like hell. I know depts that have bought handlights and all kinds of crap with leftover funds and never a word is said...i know as soon as i test the waters I will drown!! Maybe after the holidays I will try and have a phone conversation. Maybe slower is better with these folks...I dont think they have worked in a month by the lack of phone answering.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    I'm bogged down with an amendment which is caught-up in some kind of computer glitch which AFG says will take a few more weeks to rectify. They've "told" me that the amandment is approved, and to purchase the Fire Prevention items specified, but so far nothing is in writing... I'm moving forward on this, but it's making me nervous...
    I guess that's why I haven't heard from them on an amendment I filed for. Sounds like a phone call is in order since I'm running out of time on what I need to do.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by centralfire View Post
    Maybe slower is better with these folks...I dont think they have worked in a month by the lack of phone answering.
    To be fair to the AFG folks, I know that they are still hard at work. I got a phone call on Christmas Eve to have me check for my 10Qs and get them back as soon as possible to get our award out. They want to get the funds to us as quickly as we want them!

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek View Post
    I guess that's why I haven't heard from them on an amendment I filed for. Sounds like a phone call is in order since I'm running out of time on what I need to do.
    I've submitted a question on an open 2007 award because I don't want to submit a close out until I have it answered. I have not received a reply for about 90 days. I believe they are still working hard on 2008s.

Forum Member

Default answer

In talking to AFG today the problem was I hadnt requested payment for the inital items yet. Tehy wont approve excess funds until the initial items are paid for. With that said the gentleman told me to buy whatever I want as long as we match it up to 5K after I have gotten my grant items.

Thread Information