MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Hey Doug. You Missing A Barge Somewhere?

Barge runs aground in waters off Oak Bay

By Joanne Hatherly, with files from Sarah PetrescuJanuary 2, 2009

A 60-metre barge went aground in Oak Bay early New Year's morning.

Passersby watched the large barge list in the waves of Enterprise Channel, the narrow body of water between the Trial Islands and Oak Bay, as three tugboats waited for the afternoon tide so they could pull it free. However, high tide came and went and the barge was still stuck on the rocks.

Oak Bay Mayor Chris Causton described the scene as "quite a sight. I've never seen this happen here before."

Sgt. Don Symes of Oak Bay police said the occasional powerboat winds up on the rocks in summer, but not typically commercial vessels. The barge, named Warrior, is owned by construction-materials company Lafarge.

John Millman at the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre said the barge was being towed by a tug operated by two men at about 4 a.m. when it went aground.

"Winds were at 30 knots and the water was rough," Millman said.

No one was aboard the barge, and the tugboat operators were not harmed. Millman could not confirm what type of cargo the barge was carrying, but Lafarge supplies and produces cement, concrete, gypsum, aggregates and related products.

By last evening, the marine rescue co-ordination centre reported that no goods had spilled into the water, but the hull was believed to have been damaged and divers were being sent down to investigate.

According to a Transportation Safety Board report, the barge has a welded steel hull. It was built in 1981 and is used for hauling aggregate.

Millman said another attempt to float the barge will be made today.

jhatherly@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

IACOJ BOD

Rick.

Not anymore, you just found it for him.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

What makes y'all think I was tying up barges last night?What have you heard?I never saw that barge before in my life.
    That's my story and I'm st-stickin' to it as Colin Raye stuttered.
    From the description,it could have been a hopper barge.Though aggregate(mixed sizes of rocks)are usually loaded on flat deck barges,it doesn't really matter what the product is loaded onto.If the unloading facility can get a bucket or conveyor belt into it,the cargo can be unloaded in an hour or less.
    "Normal" barges are loaded to about 1,500 tons but rock barges tote 2,000 and have very little freeboard.A standard rake barge is 195' long by 35' wide and a standard box barge(square on both ends)is 200' by 35'. 60m equals about 196',by rough guesstimate.
    Most companies like mine will measure how much of the barge is between the deck and waterline before and after loading or unloading to determine how much actually got put onboard.
    Here on the Lower Mississippi,we don't usually bother with divers to check on barges,if we find water coming into a barge,we plug it with wooden shingles,pump out the water and mark the wing tank so the next crew can check it in case more is getting in.If we can't find the leak,we advise the owner and they'll drydock it to fix it.I've seen barges shoved into the "hill" as we call the bank to be repaired by some guy in pickup with a welding kit.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read an updated report earlier this morning. Apparently it was full of cement - bulk powder, I presume. The report suggested they were going to try and pump some of it out to lighten it up before trying to drag it off the reef or whatever it actually ran aground on. Lots of shoals and minor reefs/small rock outcrops in that entire region. Can be very nasty at low tides and high winds, for small craft. Great diving and fishing though!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah...........

Rick, The News Item quoted above said "60 Metres" Two things: 1. They misspelled "Meters", and 2. Doug's fleet doesn't include Meter carrying Barges. What do the above-referenced meters measure?? Gas?? Electricty?? .......... BTW, Is this in BC?

Also, check your PMs.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    BTW, Is this in BC?
    Yes it is, Harve.

Barge freed and towed to Esquimalt Harbour

January 4, 2009 2:04 PM

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

A cement barge run aground in Oak Bay has been towed to Esquimalt Harbour.Photograph by: Debra BrashA 60-foot cement barge run aground near Oak Bay since New Year’s day has been freed and towed to Esquimalt Harbour, according to the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre and towing company, Seaspan International.

The barge, owned by construction material supplier Lafarge, listed against the rocks in Enterprise Channel, between Oak Bay and Trial Island for nearly four days, creating quite a spectacle for passersby.

Attempts to float the barge over the past few days, including the use of multiple tugs, tides and cranes, were unsuccessful.

Divers estimated there to be damage to the hull. According to a Transportation Safety Board report, the barge has a welded steel hull. It was built in 1981 and is used for hauling aggregate. It was involved in a collision with a wood-hulled fishing vessel in 2005 in Swanson Channel.

No one was aboard the barge when it went aground around 4 a.m. Jan. 1. Two tugboat operators towing the vessel were not harmed and no pollutants were spilled in the water. Lafarge has not commented as to what cause the barge to run aground or what was able to finally free it.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

IACOJ BOD

They misspelt Bucking Farge.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    WOW! That puppy is in there hard. Gonna take a trick or two to get that one off.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    WOW! That puppy is in there hard. Gonna take a trick or two to get that one off.
    Couple a' good 800 hp harbor boats swinging it in and out from the bank for a while,it'll be floating soon enough.Of course,that's for a nice easy muddy bank or one with sand on it.Big rocks like that,you'll need a nearby drydock and a quick deckhand with shingles and a pump for sure.
    Some flannel headed deckhand needs to be learned how to tie barges off right.
    We have some of those high coaming(we call 'em 'high tops') barges here on the Lower.They are REAL when empty fun to handle in a high wind.That's why so many barges look so beat to Hell.They aren't built for boat shows.They just have to carry huge loads for 30+ years.
    My company even specced the new boat to have a periscope camera so the pilots could see over the damn thing when returning an empty cement barge to our fleet. The boats towing them empty usually put them on the head of the tow so the pilot house will have some clearence to see around it.
    I've only been on top of one once.
    We had been tying barges off in our slack water(no current)fleet during a high water period last Spring and using trees to catch lines on the sides of the barges.
    While turning a high topper loose one afternoon,my buddy was putting the face wires on the barge and I was walking on the side of the barge next to the trees making sure that all lines were thrown off prior to calling "All gone!" to the pilot and amusing myself by kicking some limbs that had fallen onto the barge.
    Suddenly,I noticed one of the sticks was not only moving,it was raring back for a strike.
    It wasn't no stick.It was a cottonmouth and since I'd sold it earlier in the week,that day I was not carrying my derringer with snake shot rounds in it to make a belt of any snakes I might encounter.
    Thinking quickly because I didn't want to find that my boots weren't thick enough to absorb a snake bite without me feeling it,I climbed up the ladder to the roof of that thing like a squirrel on tequila.
    The pilot saw me up there and knowing that I don't like heights,he proceeded to rag on me about being there.
    Before I could respond on my walkie talkie,my buddy was walking along where I had been confirming that we were indeed all gone and walked up on that snake.
    Since he didn't know about the snake,he thought that I was purposefully not telling him about it so he starts to call me things that my Navy Chiefs never even heard of.He don't like snakes either.
    He came up on the roof as well while I was climbing down onto the head of the barge(the bow end)and commenced to violating numerous FCC regs about profanity.
    We had just been talking about a show on CBS where one of the characters had been explaining the movie "Snakes on a Plane" by shoving his hand out like a snake's head into someone's face and hollering "Snake!".
    We had laughed about that and I commented about how if anyone did that to me,I'd laugh the first time.The second,I'd show them how their hand could double as a suppository.
    So,how did we amuse ourselves while running that barge out to the towboat that was to take it back to be reloaded?We slink up next to a corner on the barge and when someone came by,we shove out our hand and holler "Snake!".
    They musta thought we were a couple idiots by the time we got done with their tow work that afternoon.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-08-2009 at 12:36 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Lightbulb Hmmm...........

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    I guess the Question is whether it is a LaFarge Barge, a LaBarge Farge, a FaLarge Barge, a FaBarge Large, a BaFarge Large, a BaLarge Farge, or a Boat??......................
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post And........

Doug, lemmee See if'n I got this right....... You had a Face Wire coil up and Strike.......... I don't think I'd want to judge which is quicker, The Copperhead or a Face Wire breaking loose........ of course, no trip Hazard there either....... BTW, Everything still "Loose Barges" down there, or are the ARTUBARs starting to show up on the River? They're getting more common on the Chesapeake, especially in Petroleum work.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Doug, lemmee See if'n I got this right....... You had a Face Wire coil up and Strike.......... I don't think I'd want to judge which is quicker, The Copperhead or a Face Wire breaking loose........ of course, no trip Hazard there either....... BTW, Everything still "Loose Barges" down there, or are the ARTUBARs starting to show up on the River? They're getting more common on the Chesapeake, especially in Petroleum work.

To paraphrase the great John Wayne in "The Cowboys" where he explain what cowboying was like: A barge is nothing but 1500 tons of steel that doesn't wanna go where you want it to and a towboat ain't much better.
    There's trip hazards all over the place and if that doesn't get you,sliding off a covertop down a 3 foot fall will certainly break your leg.Testify.
    If you are working on the river and don't know someone who's been seriously injured,you have not been a deckhand for very long.Some of my friends include a guy named "3 Fingers Roy",a guy named "Lefty"(he only has his right hand now) and someone started calling me "Hoppy" when he saw how I get on and off the boat when it's docked.
    What's an ARTUBAR?We have standard hopper barges with and without fiberglass covertops,we have tank barges of various sizes and capacities,and there are high top cement barges like the in extremis LaFarge that started all this.
    One company took a bunch of tank barges that were nearing the end of their inspection certificates and converted them to carry truck containers for container on board service.
    There's flattop barges that carrying anything that can be loaded onboard and chained down securely,or dumped on the deck.
    I've even seen a weird barge that looked like a ship being pushed by a towboat.It had NASA markings and was loaded with what turned out to be boosters for the shuttle Atlantis.The reason I heard for the barge's presence on the Lower was that the Tenn Tombigbee was too flooded to be returned for maintenance.
    So,if I have seen an ARTUBAR,I don't think that I knew it.

MembersZone Subscriber

ARTUBAR
    A bsolutely
    R eally
    T ruly
    U cked
    B eyond
    A ll
    R ecgonition

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    A bsolutely
    R eally
    T ruly
    U cked
    B eyond
    A ll
    R ecgonition

Every barge I have ever seen or set foot on fits that description.One company I have worked for until me and the port captain would square off with cheater bars or sledge hammers just waiting for someone to call the draw has a barge that was originally brought in to winter over.This was back in 1991 and the last time I rode past their fleet this past Spring,the damn thing was still there,covered in wheat grown from the spillage of its last load.I wondered if the family of coons that had taken residence and had attacked a buddy of mine was still there.
    But,that's a whole other story.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Artubar..............

Articulated Tug Barge.

I'm gonna look for a link to one. BBL.

OK, Got it - www.ProfessionalMariner.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, Look on the right under "Search", Click on "New Tugboats", when that screen comes up, click on "5 new Tugs for Penn Maritime"

That gives you a look at an Uncoupled Tug, and an explanation of how it Fits up to the Barge........
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-08-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Articulated Tug Barge.

I'm gonna look for a link to one. BBL.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, Look on the right under "Search", Click on "New Tugboats", when that screen comes up, click on "5 new Tugs for Penn Maritime"

That gives you a look at an Uncoupled Tug, and an explanation of how it Fits up to the Barge........

Yeah,they use clamps,lock bars and hydraulic pistons to connect and give them a more rigid coupling between boat and barge.Oceangoing tugs have to worry about the seaway with its waves and currents tearing things apart.
    Even though I have never set foot on an oceangoing tug,it's on the 100 Master's exam for a Western Rivers license.(" blue water s.o.b.s.why don't they go back to the coast and guard that?")
    Here on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and all Western Rivers,we use wires strung back and forth between the barge and boat through rollers to the winches to make the coupling.Imagine a fat lady in a corset and that's about how all that wire looks.
    When I started on the river,1 5/8" wire was the norm for face wires but most companies are using Kevlar to wire up to boats.When doing tow work that would require sliding the boat over to access a barge or to rebalance the tow,we'd usually do that at watch change when all hands plus the tug crew was available to heave on the wires.When first catching the boat,you learn not to sock down lots of that dee-licious new-tricious meal that the cook laid out for you.I only caught the boat once where I didn't have to immediately go on watch and it always seemed to be during tow work.
    I haven't heard of any use of Kevlar for barge rigging but since it's so light,that may be coming.
    A full set of barge rigging includes a ratchet to tighten,a 35' wire,and a chain strap to hang on a deck fitting and weighs upwards of 100 lbs.It is an initiation rite to tell green deckhands to carry a full set of rigging AND their tools-cheater bar and toothpicks-around a coupling instead of take the tools and go back and drag the rigging in bunches to save your back.
    Back to the face wires,you need to put an old piece of cloth or rubber between the wire and anything that it goes around like a deck fitting or the deck itself to reduce chafing.
    When Kevlar first started being used,no one considered that it would wear as fast as it does from metal contact and friction.Imagine a 30 barge tow going through the Huey P.Long Bridge at Baton Rouge,then making that sharp turn and all of a sudden,the tow goes one way and the boat another because the wires broke.BTDT Hated it.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-09-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Member

And if you look further for Hunter Marine ,Kirby Marine and Florida Transporters,you'll see some of the boat that I deal with.As you can see,lots of trip hazards.
    There's even a company that's bringing Z drives to the river.I'll wait to see how God handles that one.It seems sacreligious to bring a drive that swivels like that to the river.The link to the Waterways Journal doesn't offer too many articles.You have to subscribe to get the whole issue. Here it is anyway http://waterwaysjournal.net
    And Chief,there is something about Riverbarge Excursions cancelling trips that you might want to read.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our latest compliment to the Navy fleet includes 6 Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDV's). Each is 970 tonnes, 55 metres long, 11 metre beam, cruising speed of 15+ knots and a crew of 37.

I was hoping to find more info on the tech side, but what I do know is they are all equipped with the Z-drive propulsion system and from all accounts were a real bear to get used to. We had ship's captains bumping into things all the time, and some of these officers were XO's aboard "real" ships prior to taking up the job of CO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Yep...........

Doug, Thanks for the info. I've said that running something with a Z drive, and almost any Tractor Tug/Towboat with similar propulsion, is kinda like trying to herd Cats with a bullwhip.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

.............. is kinda like trying to herd Cats with a bullwhip.
    OUCH!

*NOT a hijack*

55 Years & Still Rolling

Lightbulb Ok...........

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    OUCH!
    *NOT a hijack*

Sorry, maybe I should have said "Like trying to Ice Skate on a Harley-Davidson." ....................
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Doug, Thanks for the info. I've said that running something with a Z drive, and almost any Tractor Tug/Towboat with similar propulsion, is kinda like trying to herd Cats with a bullwhip.
    Plus,you can do things with a Z drive that violate the laws of nature.
    On TV,I have seen a harbor tug in Los Angeles pulling a container ship away from the pier and the tug and ship were side by side aligned fore and aft with the wheelwash coming from underneath the tugs port side.
    The normal way,the natural way,the Tred Barta way,the proper way that God intended for tugs to undock a ship is to have the tug nose into the ship's side and pull with the hawser leading from the tug's bow.
    Any other way is just heresy according to the Koran.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry, maybe I should have said "Like trying to Ice Skate on a Harley-Davidson." ....................
    How about "Herding chickens with a miniature dachshund"?
    My sister just got a flock of 4 Rhode Island Red hens if you want to try your hand at it.
    Trying to get them into the newly built pen was a riot.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Default Ok...........

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Plus,you can do things with a Z drive that violate the laws of nature.
    On TV,I have seen a harbor tug in Los Angeles pulling a container ship away from the pier and the tug and ship were side by side aligned fore and aft with the wheelwash coming from underneath the tugs port side.
    The normal way,the natural way,the Tred Barta way,the proper way that God intended for tugs to undock a ship is to have the tug nose into the ship's side and pull with the hawser leading from the tug's bow.
    Any other way is just heresy according to the Koran.

My Style: Tug stern to the Box Boat, Lead out 250-300 feet of 2 inch Towing Wire up to the Bow, Kick it in the .........

( Ship's Bow, you can come off the outboad side with a single lead, Square Barge configuration, you may want a bridle.......... )

There are some Box Boats that don't want to stop at every port, so they make one call, usually Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Norfolk. Boxes for the other places are Barged. Barge configurations are Square River Style or "V" Bows, with a rather funny Deck overhang on the V Bows.......... Tugs are conventional "Salt Water" style, or "River Towboat" style........... All Chesapeake Bay Tugs have a lot more Freeboard than anything on the Rivers.......
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-11-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

You mind attempting that and posting a video somewhere easily accessible for a good laugh
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Thread Information