Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighting simulation

I have been looking at several different computer based firefighting simulations. Does anyone have any experience with FlameSim or similar products?

If your department uses any computer based training what do you use?

And, how does the training work for your department?

Thanks in advance

Check out fireengineering.com. They got some simulations you can run through that you can control what happens and the outcome. It's pretty good.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

We have used FirSim for training as well as scenarios during promotional exams for the last several years. We are currently using FirSim 6 if I remember right. The program is pretty impressive as far as what you can do with it. You can import photos of building in your town to make the training more relevant to your needs. The way we have it set up is, we have 4 different computers running at the same time, which give you a way to view all sides of the structure. We normally start off with a small fire or just smoke showing for the initial size up and progress into a more intense scene from there. We also have guys in another room that communicate to the IC (person being evaluated) as the different fire ground assignments are given. The program is not all that hard to learn as I can build a fire scene pretty well and I am far from a computer expert. There are a few other programs out there on the market and all do pretty much the same thing. The great thing about FirSim is that it is a free download. I hope this answers at least some of your questions, if not just reply to the post or drop me a PM.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Flame Sim

We purchased Flame Sim recently and are rolling it out in our stations right now. We have been able to network it between stations and will be able to reduce vehicle and personnel movement for certain tactical trainings. The product is well-done and is easy to train users on, especially those with gaming experience (what new firefighter or young officer hasn't done gaming).......they recently sent me this video which might give you a better idea of what the product is about..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUa5BdHrPTY

Robert Whitaker
    Deputy Chief/Training Officer
    North Shore Fire

Default Virtual Scenarios, Real Training

We've been using FlameSim at the Florida State Fire College for roughly six months now. Based on experience with a few other products, FlameSim is the only system that offers non-static scenarios that can be fully tracked, recorded and sets its goals based on the NIMS.

After some initial training to get use to the command interface, students by-in heavily with the scenes and put quite a good deal of effort in meeting national standards in order to perform better within the program.

We have set aside a new classroom at the college specifically to host the ten linked PCs. With a full ten users we often combine our focus on Command Operations, Company Officer Tactics and Single Firefighter functions all at one scene. When using less live users, we will focus on only one of the above, while the AI personnel perform the other operations.

Overall, as the product continues to evolve, we are challenged to keep up with its potential rather than the other way around.

Forum Member

Well,

Many of us dream to become a firefighter. Due to the huge amount of competition amongst applicants, a large percentage do not make it. To give yourself the best chance of becoming a firefighter make sure you put 100 percent into your application as well as any fitness and theory tests required of you. You will need to show why you are better than all the other applicants - just like with any other job. Everybody knows that in order to become a firefighter they need to work hard. Fire fighting can be a small part of everyday work of firefighters as they also educate the public on fire safety. They also respond to emergency calls which could involve rescuing people, animals or property from a disaster such as a flood, road, rail or air crash, or releasing someone trapped in a dangerous or confined space.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flame Sim

I watched alot of videos of the flame sim in action it seems like an amazing training tool. My question is why not put this on a console Playstation 3 or Xbox360 lets face it most fire houses have access to a gaming conole. Instead of having to Invest well over $2000 dollars after buying a computer and the software(which is $1500:software, controller, security dongle, web site support and e-mail support). The Sim is controlled with an XBOX360 controller anyways. Just sell the Simulator on your website or only on fire websites at a normal console game price or even more it doesnt have to go mainstream. I think Flame-Sim would make more money this way anyways. It would just be nice for smaller departments or volunteer departments to be able to afford this simulator.

So Flame SIM if you read this post "Help a BROTHER out" literally.

Arrow Flame-Sim as Console Game...

Quote Originally Posted by wade888 View Post
    I watched alot of videos of the flame sim in action it seems like an amazing training tool. My question is why not put this on a console Playstation 3 or Xbox360 lets face it most fire houses have access to a gaming conole. Instead of having to Invest well over $2000 dollars after buying a computer and the software(which is $1500:software, controller, security dongle, web site support and e-mail support). The Sim is controlled with an XBOX360 controller anyways. Just sell the Simulator on your website or only on fire websites at a normal console game price or even more it doesnt have to go mainstream. I think Flame-Sim would make more money this way anyways. It would just be nice for smaller departments or volunteer departments to be able to afford this simulator.

So Flame SIM if you read this post "Help a BROTHER out" literally.

Wade888,

I can't speak for Flame-Sim here, but I can offer a few limitations to applying Flame-Sim in a typical game console fashion:

1. My first thought is that if you compare the number of titles sold in the game world (say Call of Duty) to the number of fire stations in the country, the ratio is far different. That would drive the cost per title up (prob. has allot to do with Flame-Sim Cost). To put it simply, the cost to produce the software would likely require every firefighter in North America to purchase a copy in order to get the price down to anything similar to average console games.
    2. Also, it needs to be stressed that Flame-Sim is an Instructor Lead, multi-user interface. It is far from a game. Sitting one person at the controls and letting them create and run scenarios would be pointless, as there would be no "learning" involved. Unlike a console game, the scenarios are setup by an instructor, changing the locations, behavior and materials. Students have no way of knowing what the scenario involves, thus counting on their "learned skills" and control by the Instructor to bring a conclusion to the scenario.
    3. Although modern console games are capable of networking, the likelihood of ten stations, each with an Xbox all linked together via the net, and lead by a training supervisor is minimal at best.
    3. One of the key elements of Flame-Sim as a training tool is that it allows the Instructor and Students to track and compare results from multiple scenarios. Without the ability to print, compare, and run analysis it becomes quite difficult to define the effectiveness of any training.
    4. I would be hard pressed to believe Flame-Sim did not fully explore all of these options. They do produce several console gaming titles under their parent company. Perhaps in the future we will see a console version intended to boost awareness or recruiting. Who knows?

I hope that helps to define the purpose of Flame-Sim without stepping on the toes of the Flame-Sim folks.

Default Simulation Software

As a vendor in this space, I've been keeping track of different software systems for this type of training. Here is my list (in alphabetic order):

ADMS , www.ADMSTraining.com
    Code3D, www.Code3D.com
    CommandSim, www.CommandSim.com
    Fire Simulator, www.FireSimulator.com
    Fire Simulation, www.fireprograms.com
    Fire Studio, www.DigitalCombustion.com
    Firefighter: EGH, www.twlk.com/egh/egh_home.aspx
    Flame Sim, www.flame-sim.com
    nCommand, www.faac.com/ncommand.htm
    NIMS/ICS Pro Edition, www.nimsvideo.com
    StageIT, www.action-training.com/firesimulator.asp
    Vector Command, www.EmergencyCommandSystem.com

If you know of any others, please let me know!

-jonathan

Forum Member

Default Firefighting Simulation

Hello,

My name is Danny and I'm actually in the process of building a simulation to train firefighters for certifications. I've created simulations with a former company for the Army and Navy. Both were successful training tools and I've now begun doing this with my development company. I have fought several fires and endless hours of training during my time spent in the Navy and there is nothing more important when at sea that knowing how to fight a fire. By no means is a software simulation going to replace hands on fire in your face training, but it is without a doubt the best way to facilitate and support the training process. If anyone here has any ideas for scenarios the I could apply I'd love to hear them.

thanks,
    Danny

Thread Information