MembersZone Subscriber

Default Raytheon Polar Services

Hey, I just got hired by Raytheon Polar Services pending my medical, dental, psych evaluations. I was just seeing if anyone else that has worked for them could answer a couple of questions. The postion is for a Firefighter, possibilty as a LT. Firefighter in Antartica at Mcmurdo Station. I was just wondering if you have been what you would suggest you take with you down there. If there was anything you didnt bring that you wished you would have, or just general info about your experience there. I am looking forward to it. Anyway my pending deployment date is for the winter season, and its Feb 1st. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and Thank You for your help.

Forum Member

Cool Deployment

Hello there!

Looks like I will be joining you in Feb. I would also love to hear from anyone who has been there done that. My emails are tabby1@temple.edu and trmcc27@gmail.com. Perhaps we can share phone numbers via email and try to coordinate what we are going to need. It is gonna be a long cold deployment so proper planning is a must. Hope to hear from you soon.

Terence

Forum Member

Do either of you know if they are still accepting apps.?

Forum Member

I am kicking around the possiblity of applying for Raytheon. Can anbody give me any info on it? Such as pay, vacation, hours, and what exactly do you do, and the contract requirements, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

BAMA

Forum Member

I know a couple of people who have been there....Pay is about 30gs. You pay taxes. that is all I know about..whether it is true or not......

Forum Member

Cool

There are two deployments one over the winter and the other over the summer. Pay is around 30K. You are on the ice for 8 months with 4 of them in darkness over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA2007 View Post
    I am kicking around the possiblity of applying for Raytheon. Can anbody give me any info on it? Such as pay, vacation, hours, and what exactly do you do, and the contract requirements, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

BAMA

Forum Member

Default is there anymore opens

hello guys do you know if there are anymore opens I really want to get on this contract but have be gone awhile. do you mind giving up your contact details. would really like this. thanks

Clint

Hey. As far as packing goes, pack as though you we're headed to live in a college dorm because that's the kind of atmosphere they got going down there. People say its a harsh continent but you won't really be experiencing it unless you go out of your way. On a lot days I walked from my room to the station in a T-shirt or light jacket (granted that was the summer). Bring cold weather stuff that you like to wear back home if you have it, being stuck in Big Red all the time is a bit annoying. Slippers or some kind of indoor footwear is good as well.

I personally never used my computer (there are some at the station and some in 155) but if you're a winter over you'll probably be much more likely to. It'll be tougher to go down for the first time as a winter-over because you can't receive or send mail if you forget something.

Bring a hobby. I played guitar a lot while I was down there, some people knit, some people drink. Just bring something that you can do a lot of. There are a lot of opportunities for great photographs in McMurdo and during travel time. It might be nice to invest in some quality camera equipment. Remember it'll be dark for a lot of the time you're there. Any camera should do by the way, no special sub-zero stuff needed. Mine would die if it was exposed to the cold for too long but once it heated back up it worked fine.

Other than that, have fun. It's a great place to be. Don't hesitate to stick your head in the dishroom and help do dishes or any other community service you can find to do in your off time, people like that.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions.

-Chris

Forum Member

Default openings

I would email them ASAP as deployment is in February.

Quote Originally Posted by rescuetech1 View Post
    hello guys do you know if there are anymore opens I really want to get on this contract but have be gone awhile. do you mind giving up your contact details. would really like this. thanks

Clint

Default Pay for Raython

Hey All,

I just turned them down for a position. $600.00 to $650.oo a week plus paying taxes is a joke. To have to be away from your family, friends and civilization for a 25k a year job (24.342.72 after taxes based on filing Single 1)in my humble opion is crazy.

If nobody accepted their ridiculious pay then they would be forced to up it or not be able to fill the positions.

Stay Low & Be Safe
    Mark

Forum Member

Cool Anarctica

Hey Chad,

I am scheduled to deploy in early Feb. Just completed my Med and Dental. It looks like time frames have been accelerated compared to what is in the literature. They say everything must be in eight weeks prior to deployment. That cannot happen when your offer is one month out. If you have any ideas to share or questions for me feel free to email or call. Thanks, look forward to serving with you.

regards,

Terence R. McConlogue
    tabby1@temple.edu
    trmcc27@gmail.com
    610-360-8456

Quote Originally Posted by chad635 View Post
    Hey, I just got hired by Raytheon Polar Services pending my medical, dental, psych evaluations. I was just seeing if anyone else that has worked for them could answer a couple of questions. The postion is for a Firefighter, possibilty as a LT. Firefighter in Antartica at Mcmurdo Station. I was just wondering if you have been what you would suggest you take with you down there. If there was anything you didnt bring that you wished you would have, or just general info about your experience there. I am looking forward to it. Anyway my pending deployment date is for the winter season, and its Feb 1st. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and Thank You for your help.

Forum Member

Cool Deploying in Feb

Thanks for the great post! Any advice for the winter over crews?

Quote Originally Posted by Slickleg View Post
    Hey. As far as packing goes, pack as though you we're headed to live in a college dorm because that's the kind of atmosphere they got going down there. People say its a harsh continent but you won't really be experiencing it unless you go out of your way. On a lot days I walked from my room to the station in a T-shirt or light jacket (granted that was the summer). Bring cold weather stuff that you like to wear back home if you have it, being stuck in Big Red all the time is a bit annoying. Slippers or some kind of indoor footwear is good as well.

I personally never used my computer (there are some at the station and some in 155) but if you're a winter over you'll probably be much more likely to. It'll be tougher to go down for the first time as a winter-over because you can't receive or send mail if you forget something.

Bring a hobby. I played guitar a lot while I was down there, some people knit, some people drink. Just bring something that you can do a lot of. There are a lot of opportunities for great photographs in McMurdo and during travel time. It might be nice to invest in some quality camera equipment. Remember it'll be dark for a lot of the time you're there. Any camera should do by the way, no special sub-zero stuff needed. Mine would die if it was exposed to the cold for too long but once it heated back up it worked fine.

Other than that, have fun. It's a great place to be. Don't hesitate to stick your head in the dishroom and help do dishes or any other community service you can find to do in your off time, people like that.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions.

-Chris

Forum Member

Cool Rps

Clint,

email me and I'll give you all the particulars. Be safe my brother!

Terence
    tabby1@temple.edu
    trmcc27@gmail.com
    610-360-8456

Quote Originally Posted by rescuetech1 View Post

Clint

Forum Member

Cool Remember me

Hey Bama,

Shoot me a personal email and I will send you all the particulars about this contract. Much more civil over on this board don't you think? Take care brother.

regards,

Terence R. McConlogue
    tabby1@temple.edu
    trmcc27@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA2007 View Post

BAMA

Forum Member

Cool Wages

Hello,

The wages are not what they are in a combat zone but you will be in Antarctica, and not many folks ever get a chance to do that. Total salary is not that low...but is around 31K on the low side. Just think of the experience and the stories you will be able to tell!
    Quote Originally Posted by firemark65 View Post
    Hey All,

I just turned them down for a position. $600.00 to $650.oo a week plus paying taxes is a joke. To have to be away from your family, friends and civilization for a 25k a year job (24.342.72 after taxes based on filing Single 1)in my humble opion is crazy.

If nobody accepted their ridiculious pay then they would be forced to up it or not be able to fill the positions.

Stay Low & Be Safe
    Mark

You guys need to do the math on this job. . . . Its not worth it to be away from your family,friends and civilization for that amount of money (Just a thought)

Forum Member

Default Antarctica

I realize that the money is not that good but it is still based on over 30K per year. The experience of being in a place where so few people have ever been ....or ever will be is something special. For eight months out of your life I believe it is worth it. However as you say, not for everyone.

You guys need to do the math on this job. . . . Its not worth it to be away from your family,friends and civilization for that amount of money (Just a thought)

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked fire in Antarctica on two separate contracts (one for 5 months during their summer, and the other a full year) and I've also worked for WSI in Iraq. While the pay on the ice is only about a third of what you can make over in the sandbox (all said and done, I made $40k in a year (yes, pretax)), I had such a great time there, that it was totally worth it; and no one can tell me different. Especially not someone who has never been.
    Yes, its a long time to be away from friends, family, and the life you're used to back home. Its definitely easier to do if you don't have a significant other, or kids. That said, its also an unparalleled adventure. I had so many great experiences and made so many great friends that I still keep in contact with today. Having been to the ice and the desert both...I'll take less pay and a much more enjoyable time on the ice!
    There are lots of good fire contracts out there, all have their positives and negatives and each of us has our own reasons for choosing the one we do. Don't go telling someone that they're making the wrong choice just because its not what you would choose to do.
    I will agree though...I wish they did pay a little more!

Forum Member

Cool Thank you

Thanks for the kind and motivational words! You really get it. This thing is not just about the money....it is so much more. If one spends their life just measuring it by the money they are missing allot. I will miss my kids and my friends but they are all behind me and are encouraging this assignment. I feel honored to be chosen and have this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by nwfire17 View Post
    I worked fire in Antarctica on two separate contracts (one for 5 months during their summer, and the other a full year) and I've also worked for WSI in Iraq. While the pay on the ice is only about a third of what you can make over in the sandbox (all said and done, I made $40k in a year (yes, pretax)), I had such a great time there, that it was totally worth it; and no one can tell me different. Especially not someone who has never been.
    Yes, its a long time to be away from friends, family, and the life you're used to back home. Its definitely easier to do if you don't have a significant other, or kids. That said, its also an unparalleled adventure. I had so many great experiences and made so many great friends that I still keep in contact with today. Having been to the ice and the desert both...I'll take less pay and a much more enjoyable time on the ice!
    There are lots of good fire contracts out there, all have their positives and negatives and each of us has our own reasons for choosing the one we do. Don't go telling someone that they're making the wrong choice just because its not what you would choose to do.
    I will agree though...I wish they did pay a little more!

Forum Member

Not that I'm going or anything. But what on earth (literally) do you do down there?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Antarctica

Allot of training and alarm calls I immagine.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Not that I'm going or anything. But what on earth (literally) do you do down there?

Forum Member

Bring lots and lots and lots of jergens!

Forum Member

Default Jergens

Yeah it is the dryest plece on eath. You would not think that with all the ice but the humidity is very low. I think I'll bring a 55 gal drum of the stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Bring lots and lots and lots of jergens!

Forum Member

Default Pq

Hey Chad did you pass all the PQ stuff?How about that {sych! They really put you threw allot of bull**** .
    Quote Originally Posted by chad635 View Post

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Passed

Yes sir, I did pass the test, I am in New Zealand right now and will be deploying tomorrow morning on a plane down to Mcmurdo. It has been a long trip but so far it has been a great experience. I am looking forward to it.

Thread Information